Did Covid cost us the playoffs too? (1 Viewer)

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The one that I keep coming back to in my head was the blindside block call against a player in the pocket that completely changed the outcome against the Titans. A call that has only been made one time in NFL history on a key third down.
Except it was against the Cowpies.

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don’t believe so. If the Saints beat the pitiful Giants at the beginning of the season, then they’re in the playoffs. You can look back at quite a few things and say that’s the reason the Saints didn’t make the playoffs.

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At this point im looking to next season. I think this will be a special team next year.

Whatever deficiencies this team had will be addressed this offseason.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It counts in the standings. If we would’ve beat miami we would’ve been 10-7 and in the playoffs with a better record than philly. Even 6 seed cause we held the tiebreaker over sf. So I don’t see how you can say it had no bearing. ANY 1 win would’ve bumped us up TWO spots in the seeding.
Yep, and the Miami game was the last time the Saints controlled their destiny. In spite of all of the other crap that went on up until that point, is took a loss of 22 players to Covid and a refusal by the NFL to reschedule the game for the team to get knocked out of the last playoff spot. No other team lost their spot due to covid like the Saints did. Were it any other week, particularly late in the season, that's a different outcome.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes and no we don't lose to Miami they looked like a dog turd the game after us.
And then the game after that, they scored 33 and beat the Patriots.

You may very well be correct in saying we would not have lost to Miami........ none of us have any way of knowing....... but I'm not sure we can lean on the specific reason you gave.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think this is one of those topics where everyone is right. We did control our destiny before the Miami game. Had we
won our last three games we were 100% guaranteed to make the playoffs. That's still no excuse for losing to the
Giants. That game was arguably the worst Payton and Dennis Allen coached. I still can't believe Sean didn't challenge
that 4th down run by Barkley where the official spotted the ball a full yard ahead of where he really was. That drive
eventually ended in a Giants TD

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
covid didn't make our kickers suck this year. Covid also had nothing to do with the Giants loss.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
covid didn't make our kickers suck this year. Covid also had nothing to do with the Giants loss.
It was a bad game. It happens. Just about every team laid an egg at some point during the season.

That said, Covid was largely responsible for making the Miami game uncompetitive...at which point we got knocked out of the driver's seat.

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was a bad game. It happens. Just about every team laid an egg at some point during the season.

That said, Covid was largely responsible for making the Miami game uncompetitive...at which point we got knocked out of the driver's seat.
Covid didn't make us lose the Falcons, Panthers, Titans, Eagles, Bills or Cowboys.

So no Covid didn't make us miss the playoffs. The Rams didn't make us miss the playoffs, the 49ers didn't make us miss the playoffs.

Losing our QB and having a JV offensive line and our Dline being injured most of the season made us miss the playoffs.

Edit: In fact every team pretty much had a covid outbreak during the season... so once again. Covid did not make us miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Covid didn't make us lose the Falcons, Panthers, Titans, Eagles, Bills or Cowboys.

So no Covid didn't make us miss the playoffs. The Rams didn't make us miss the playoffs, the 49ers didn't make us miss the playoffs.

Losing our QB and having a JV offensive line and our Dline being injured most of the season made us miss the playoffs.

Edit: In fact every team pretty much had a covid outbreak during the season... so once again. Covid did not make us miss the playoffs.
Yet, in spite of all those losses, when we played Miami, we were in the driver's seat to get into the playoffs. Had the season ended before the Miami game, we make the playoffs. :shrug:

It all matters, yes, but at the point we lost the last playoff spot is what matters most imo. But to each his own.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom