Did Drew Selfishness hurt the team?!! (1 Viewer)

as it stands now - depending on how far back you want to go - you can say KC and maybe GB has had more sustained success
so the context would be "saints have underperformed, unlike_______" and the question is what teams would you put in that blank - Seattle? rams? vikings? Pitt? Ravens?
the point is that while you're complaining about the Saints, it seems like you're really just complaining about nfl football

All of those teams have multiple SB appearances so maybe plug them in, yeah.

But I don't know their history. Are they steeped in failure and punchlines? Did they emerge from the shadow of that history only to find themselves steeped in more failure and more punchlines?

Our playoff losses have names that make their way into pop culture! Beastquake. Minneapolis Miracle. Whatever version of 'The Catch' that was in SF.

All of this is while we have a possible HOF coach and a HOF QB. That's not something you see all over the NFL. It's not normal.

I honestly just look at the totality of our existence and that one SB. Thinking about how so many things had to come together for it to happen. How could we possibly duplicate it.

Look at the embarrassment of riches we've had. Lots of dynamic players at various positions. Continuity in coaching. Always trying to maintain a healthy culture around the team. A wizard for a GM. Fifteen years with a HOF QB. Our gems when it comes to undrafted players. The most supportive fanbase in all of sports. A city that adores them (I still laugh at how the national media couldn't get over NOLA government offices shutting down early for the SB parade).

Everything a team could possibly need. And we could not duplicate it.

Every statistic could be in our favor and history says we would defy it.

By wizard of a GM do you mean Jeff Ireland? Because he is the most important man in the Saints building now IMO....If I had to choose between SP or Jeff Ireland, I wouldn't hesitate. Since he has been involved in the personnel process it has improved exponentially, when SP was mostly doing the personnel decision making it was nothing short of a disaster.....I haven't totally lost faith in SP yet, but I'm not as high on him as I once was...in the end it doesn't matter, he isn't going anywhere (unless he chooses to)....

By wizard of a GM do you mean Jeff Ireland? Because he is the most important man in the Saints building now IMO....If I had to choose between SP or Jeff Ireland, I wouldn't hesitate. Since he has been involved in the personnel process it has improved exponentially, when SP was mostly doing the personnel decision making it was nothing short of a disaster.....I haven't totally lost faith in SP yet, but I'm not as high on him as I once was...in the end it doesn't matter, he isn't going anywhere (unless he chooses to)....
I was talking about Mickey Loomis, but we probably have a lot of great front office staff. If there was some kind of league-wide ranking, I bet they'd be near the top in a lot of areas.

I was talking about Mickey Loomis, but we probably have a lot of great front office staff. If there was some kind of league-wide ranking, I bet they'd be near the top in a lot of areas.

My feeling is that if we lost Jeff Ireland now, unless he has been grooming someone behind the scenes to replace him....we would be totally screwed.....

Drew Brees is the greatest player in Saints history. All of our lives as Saints fans and New Orleanians/Louisianians are better because he signed here. He likely saved the franchise from moving to another city. That being said, yes, he is selfish and, like his football career, he is selfish at a hall of fame level. Why?

1. In '11, he consecutive games with TD pass streak was in jeopardy. Saints were losing 31-14 to the Rams in 4th quarter with just over 2:30 left in the game. It was over, but SP and Drew rolled out the starters so Drew could keep his streak going and allowed him to throw TD pass on last drive;
2. Brees was free agent after '11 season. We needed him to be front and center for Bountygate. He did go on Letterman show during summer, but he held out til the last minute. Good for him, yes, but his stance forced Saints to not even consider Re-signing Carl Nicks, who was also FA;
3. There was also a lockout in '12 off-season. Brees was one of executive player reps and, along w/ 6 or 7 other exec player reps, he tried to cut a deal to exempt himself from being franchise-tagged. He also made an obnoxious comment during lockout about former NFL players not managing their money properly, which is true, but also easy for someone who was about to sign for at leas $25 million/year contract about guys who played in 60's and 70's who had to work for a living after their football careers, no matter how many years they played or how successful they were as players;
4. In '14, Jimmy Graham, a tight end, was up for free agency and was franchise tagged by Saints. You would think that Drew, as an executive member of the players association, would support Jimmy Graham's quest to be tagged as a Wide Receiver and not a tight end so he could make more money. Graham was catching close to 100 passes a year and gaining over 1,00 yds. (WR stats). Drew gave an interview that undercut Graham's position. He said, "He's a tight end." An honest answer, yes, but not an answer that a teammate or the poster boy for the same union that was advocating for Graham should utter in public;
5. His comments this past off-season about kneeling during anthem. Whether you agree with the comment or not, that was an inappropriate comment for him to make. The player's association, which he claims to be an executive member of, used kneeling as a bargaining chip w/ owners. And, it agitated some of his teammates. They had a successful season so no evidence it was why they lost Sunday, but that is a private opinion that he should have shared privately with his teammates.

Anyway, there are more examples of his selfishness. Ask the people at a certain uptown playground, but at the end of the day, he was HOF QB and he played here for 15 years.

If those 5 examples are the worst you can say about a player then that's not bad at all. All you did was point out that he's human.

The TD streak was important to SP, teammates, fans, hell the whole franchise. Football doesn't celebrate records like other sports do except for passing records. Of course they were going to try to get it. Of course Drew wanted it. I know I would.

So he wanted to maximize his career earnings? Okay. He didn't take the hometown discount fans wanted him to but I'd argue that he was still worth every penny. He was called greedy until like a year later when his deal was dwarfed by the likes of Joe Flacco.

Drew made a comment about former players not being wise with their money. Nothing really controversial about that. Just a guy saying a fact. They've made documentaries about it. Athletes are notorious for blowing through money. You even admit that what he said is true.

He said Jimmy Graham was a TE. It was later discovered that Jimmy Graham was indeed a TE.

The anthem comments were a mistake. He had no business talking about that given the current climate.

Despite his flaws I'm damn proud of #9. You said it better than I ever could,
"Drew Brees is the greatest player in Saints history. All of our lives as Saints fans and New Orleanians/Louisianians are better because he signed here. He likely saved the franchise from moving to another city."

WIFE speaking out = Kiss of DEATH ☠️

REFER to: Darren Sproles

TRANSLATION:
Honey boo boo wifey seen her man “break” & the cracks are showing.

Next Steps:
Come to terms with OUR football 🏈 hero fading away!

The saddest part of all is that who we saw Sunday wasn’t the Drew we know him to be, but that is what folks will remember his final game as.

Yeah I thought that too but in a few years it'll change. When you think of Dan Marino do you think about his last game? The Dolphins lost 62-7 in the Divisional round in 1999 to the Jags. Marino went 11-25 for 95 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints.

So quick to bite the hands that fed this organization for over a decade and put this team on the map. Out right disgusting takes like y’all actually think you have a point. LMAO don’t ever quit your day job.

Brittany was well intentioned but she entered Brenda Warner’s neighborhood with that post.

I look at the op’s question from the perspective of the beginning not the end of the year. I can appreciate that many on this site loathe Tom Brady, however, if Brees was really retiring before he got wind that Brady was coming then op has a point. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Brady wins it all. Sure emotion might take over for some from what I just said and the quick response might be Brady is overrated, played in a weak conference etc. Sorry but for a guy that’s been playing for 21 years and won 17 the division in 17 of those years I can’t help but wonder how the next two years would have turned out.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom