Did Drew Selfishness hurt the team?!! (1 Viewer)

Guys, if Jared Cook doesn’t fumble chances were very good Saints would have gone up by two scores going into the 4th quarter with the odds greatly in Saints favor to win and get into NFC championship. The Saints had just driven 75 yards to take a 7 point lead and had driven 40 yards when Cook fumbled. Drew and Saints had Buc defense on their heels. After Cook fumble the Bucs psyche changed completely and Saints withered.
Drew got the team to that point but unfortunately after game was tied had a miscommunication with Kamara and threw Int to give Bucs lead.

Remember when playing through an injury made you heroic and tough as a well-done $2 steak? Pepperidge Farm remembers. Now it gets you “blasted” by guys on message boards who wouldn’t last a second in the same situation. Go figure.

In 1985, Ronnie Lott broke his finger mid-game. Then he RIPPED HIS FINGER OFF AND CONTINUED PLAYING. they lost 17-3 to the Giants. Nobody called him selfish for playing through it.
...Yeah but during that time the 49ers has already won two Super Bowls. I think that's a different situation.

Healthy Drew or not, this team constantly loses games like this. They stay getting punched in the mouth when it matters the most. IMO, it doesn't matter who lined up at QB.

Thinking back to the 2013 playoff game against Seattle, I felt like they went into that game as prepared as they could possibly be. It didn't matter.

They were breaking records left and right in 2011. Come playoffs it didn't matter.

There's probably half a dozen regular season games that we needed to win to maintain seeding position, put distance between us and other contenders - and we lost.

How many games have we lost to absolute scrubs. Winless Rams. The Browns. The friggin Jets. It doesn't matter who's healthy, where we play, what kind of game Sean calls - or what's on the line: We blow it when all the signs say we should've won.

That has been our identity throughout most of the Brees/Payton era. The variables don't matter, the results are the same.

Except for that one time - that one glorious season - when the sun shone in our direction. When all the stars lined up for us.

This season ended for the Saints exactly how it was destined to. A lot of posters talk about remembering the dark years before Payton and Brees as if they are completely separate from who we are now. I don't think that's necessarily the case. It's just two sides of the same coin.
You do realize that only one team can win the Superbowl every season, and in the NFL there are a lot of good teams. But, for the sake of argument let's say there are just twelve. How many times, on average, should one expect to win a SB if there are just twelve? How many years has it been since our last Superbowl?

Well, there are 32 teams. Not just twelve.

It’s easy for you to say we would have been better off without him, but there is no guarantee that other options would have put us in better position. We would be questioning why if other options would have fallen apart. I guess in this situation, with Taysom out, we expected Winston to come in and work with the offense and succeed? Idk.
Then there is ... maybe Brees deserved that right.

If what Mrs. Brees says is true why wouldn’t Drew step aside and allow someone else to take over at Qb to help the TEAM win!! I know the Drew lovers and lovers of his stats gonna come for me but idc really. This is a team game and I am a SAINTS FAN not a particular player fan!! I looked over the fact his selfish ways would literally stop a game for breaking a record like he just won another ring when other great QBs wouldn’t do such a thing when they break them. But this was an Extremely Selfish act to force it play hurt knowing he couldn’t push the ball downfield!! Go figure I’m not shocked brother should any of you!!
I understand what you ruminating over, my thought is, I would question Sean Payton as a coach if he felt he had a better option on the team than an injured Drew Brees. Kind of seems similar to an injured Michael Thomas, still better than the alternative.

I’d venture to say it’s much more selfLESS than it is selfISH. He put himself at risk playing through injury to try to help the team. That’s basically the definition of selfless. If he’d have said “F the team, Taysom can have the playoff start. I don’t wanna hurt myself.” Would that not be more selfish?

Just like Taysom last year, yes we would have probably won with Jameis instead of Drew, or just running the ball instead of putting it on Drew’s torn shoulder to win the game.

Sean’s opinion is that Drew earned the right to go out on his own terms. I agree with that, but am also very upset knowing we could have moved to the next round just like last season when the Vikings didn’t have an answer for Taysom.
I thought football was a team sport and nota goodbye party.

While I don't think Drew is selfish but there needed to be a separation between coach and player where if the injuries were too dire, I expect the coach to come in and shut it down. The goal is superbowl or bust, you do what you have to do to accomplish it. It is very apparent that Drew couldn't make the throws he needed to make with a torn rotator cuff and a fascia injury.

I'm going to dispel any illusion right now: Payton's lucky he's in a small New Orleans market with a very scared media that isn't going to go after him for playing an insanely hurt player. If this was New York, the media would have been crushing him non-stop for green-lighting Brees to play with those injuries. While there is no doubt Brees is a warrior, hall of famer, he probably should have been shutdown because he looked awful in that playoff game.

Last edited:
A player in his last year suiting up when he is incapable of being himself is admirable and slightly selfish at the same time. But we've seen Drew do this before. His belief in himself is greater than his actual ability at this point. So there's a hint of selfishness involved in that he wants to play and thinks he's the best option even though he is hurting the team.

We went 8-1 without him in two years so we lost more with him in the lineup. You have to ask yourself why that is. He has regressed each year and has been injured more than ever. Time to move on.

I thought football was a team sport and nota goodbye party.
Yep, some posters are like it’s a “goodbye tour” and the heck with the rest of the team. You hear the “Drew’s done so much for the city, he gets a free pass to do whatever and play until he’s eligible for Medicare”.

“at this point, his ego is writing checks his body can’t cash”, lol, but sad and true.

Just like Taysom last year, yes we would have probably won with Jameis instead of Drew, or just running the ball instead of putting it on Drew’s torn shoulder to win the game.

Sean’s opinion is that Drew earned the right to go out on his own terms. I agree with that, but am also very upset knowing we could have moved to the next round just like last season when the Vikings didn’t have an answer for Taysom.

Yeah...we would've definitely won with Winston...because he's not known for turnovers...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom