Did Earl Campbell deseve to be put into Canton (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The Terrel Davis post got me thinking about how short his career was and how he wasnt in the NFL very long to accomplish that great yardage required of him to get that honor of being into Canton? Well what about Earl Campbell then? His career wasnt long either, he only played like 8 or 9 years in the NFL, sure he did a lot during his career, and broke a lot of rushing records in the NFL and on the Oilers teams he played on.

My point is if you consider Terelle Davis career to be short and not enough to be in the HOF and not year wise, then its a valid comparison to make in Campbell case too. He didnt play very long nor did he win any Super Bowls even though h came pretty close, he still didnt have HOF material.

I know I may get some disapprovals on this, and I welcome as a matter of fact, Its just Earl Campbell played on some bad teams and some very very good teams in Houston with the Oilers, but was his career good enough to warrant HOF induction? and how does it compare with Terelle Davis's?

okay, cdogg why isnt guys like Art Monk in the HOF, he was a great WR with the Redskins and won a few SB's and did far more then Campbell did in his career and he isnt in the HOF? Whats the difference between Monk and Campbell? Both had great careers, but IMHO Art Monk did far more then Campbell did in his career then Campbell could have ever done. he was much more a greater weapon to his team or as at the very least produced just as much as Earl did.

So why isnt Monk in the HOF and Campbell is?

Earl Campbell - 5 Time Pro Bowler, 9407 yards, 74 TD (9 years) 1979 NFL MVP

Terrell Davis - 3 Time Pro Bowler, 7607 yards, 60 TD (7 years)

Art Monk - 3 Time Pro Bowler, 12,721 reception yards, 68 TD (16 years)

Just tossing out the numbers for the ongoing debate. My personal opinion is that there are a lot of people in the HOF that shouldn't be there.

well puma if we go by Earl numbers Deuce may end up in the HOF if he keeps himself healthy for about 3 or 4 more seasons, he already 5,000 yards and with a guy like Reggie Bush to take some of the burden, it may make him more marketable to get more yards. But if you at Deuce's numbers and the teams he has played on, if at the end of the day, will he get voted into Canton anyway becuase he played for New Orleans?

If Deuce gets over 10,000 yards in his career, he is IMHO Canton worthy, thats something that isnt seem too much anymore.

And becuase Decue deserves it.

well puma if we go by Earl numbers Deuce may end up in the HOF if he keeps himself healthy for about 3 or 4 more seasons

10 year career, staying healthy and producing the way he does now, I'd agree. Though I think ten years from now, the bar that measures who gets in, will be much higher.

Well let me take it a step further: Do you think that Deuce has been hugely underrated as far as top tier RB's go thorugh his career? If you look at Deuce, the guy rarely has ever mentioned in the same breath as Jamal Lewis, LT, hell even Larry Johnson gets more reps then Deuce has gotten over the past few years.

Look at this way: Deuce ran for over 1600 yards in one season in 2003 hell thats almost MVP worthy and he did it with a 8-8 team too, yet he gets very little attention compared to Shaun Alexander and company.

Earl is one of the top 5 rbs ever along with Payton, Brown, Sayers, and Dorsett IMO.

No Barry Sanders? What about Curtis Martin..10 years of rushing for at least 1,000 yards each. Harris and Thomas are also high on the list too.

Thats becuase his style was so brusing and revolutionized pro football, Nothing. But Archie Manning helped revolionize the NFL too in a way, he was one of the few QB's in an era of pocket passers that was a mobile QB and could do anything with the ball. If you look at Archie old days with the Saints, he was a hell of a good scrambler and did things that Micheal Vick would be impressed by.

But Archie isnt anywhere near the HOF.

But his sprinting style brought the era of a new type of QB: The mobile running QB, there werent many before Archie if you rememeber correctly, maybe Fran Tarkenton at the best

Based on Earl's numbers, I'd say Art Monk should definitely be in the HOF, and TD probably shouldn't. Earl accomplished a lot in a short time, but was consistantly good in the NFL each year, so you can't say that his numbers were fluke. Monk may have had longer to accomplish his numbers, but a 16 year career at the level he played at is worthy as well, IMO.

There has already been some talk about Tiki Barber....HOF or not, when the time comes? Some sportscasters say no....but let's look at the numbers:

Tiki Barber: 10 years (at the end of this season); 144 games; 9434 yards; 50 rushing TD's; 4940 receiving yards; 12 receiving TD's

Earl Campbell: 9 years; 115 games; 9407 yards; 74 rushing TD's; 806 receiving yards; 0 receiving TD's.

I guess the question should be, do TD and/or Tiki deserve to get into the HOF based on Earl's numbers, or do you think Earl Campbell shouldn't have gotten into the Hall? I'm not even mentioning Monk because he deserves to be in there period, without even comparing him to Campbell.

Campbell was a true beast since we like to use that term on this board. He was the epitomy of a power back with speed. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he should be in the hall of fame.

Let me start by saying I am a big Terrel Davis fan. But the hall of fame now of days seems like it is about numbers. Terrel doesn't belong in the same class as Earl Campbell. To me the best running backs in the game are Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, and Eric Dickerson. I know I left sweetness and Emmitt off the list, but they are right behind. I'm 34 so I've only seen Walter in bad bears teams save 1985. And I think Emmit was a great back, coming back in the second half against the giants with a separated shoulder, that was classic. I don't agree with the people that say that Sanders could have got the yards behind that dallas line, that's not the kind of runner he was. But those four guys redefined the rb position. O.J , Marcus Allen, and John Riggins were also great, but Earl Campbell was a superstar.

The "Yellow Rose of Texas" without a question belongs in the HOF (period).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom