Did I go too Far?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Let me set the stage here. I have been one of the people at my work who has been putting all of our testing online, and teaching other staff how to access the information and train them. I went all last year without a computer, having to borrow other staff members computers to do the training, all the while our network being up less than half the time. Yes, our tech people could be put out of work by a couple of chimps. Anywho, four weeks ago, the power supply in my tower went out. After 4 service requests, I took my handy dandy screwdriver and stole a power supply out of a computer that someone else was not using for a while. (they weren't happy, but didnt really care either) Needless to say this upset my tech people. I don't really care, I was getting irratated. Then for the last two weeks, I have been unable to log into my computer because the password clears through the system that doesn't work. I had about 4 things I had to get done today, so I blew and called the head of tech support, going over the heads of everyone. I told her about the poor service, poor network and all. OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS big mistake, because they went postal about me taking the power supply out of the other machine. Big deal, I have done it enough I could do it with my eyes closed. Now everyones all bent out of shape and ready to hang me. Yet I am left to wonder other than being a donkey, what did I do wrong?

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Ratings
Let me set the stage here. I have been one of the people at my work who has been putting all of our testing online, and teaching other staff how to access the information and train them. I went all last year without a computer, having to borrow other staff members computers to do the training, all the while our network being up less than half the time. Yes, our tech people could be put out of work by a couple of chimps. Anywho, four weeks ago, the power supply in my tower went out. After 4 service requests, I took my handy dandy screwdriver and stole a power supply out of a computer that someone else was not using for a while. (they weren't happy, but didnt really care either) Needless to say this upset my tech people. I don't really care, I was getting irratated. Then for the last two weeks, I have been unable to log into my computer because the password clears through the system that doesn't work. I had about 4 things I had to get done today, so I blew and called the head of tech support, going over the heads of everyone. I told her about the poor service, poor network and all. OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS big mistake, because they went postal about me taking the power supply out of the other machine. Big deal, I have done it enough I could do it with my eyes closed. Now everyones all bent out of shape and ready to hang me. Yet I am left to wonder other than being a donkey, what did I do wrong?

Far be it from stealing a quote from a Marine, much less a Marine in a movie.

But I quote "Heartbreak Ridge"--(paraphrasing)--he adapted and overcame the obstacles to achieve an objective.

Now this philosophy can be taken to extreme measures--breaking the law, cheating, etc., but if you violated some simple company.

And here's an important queston--did you violate a written, documented company policy or SOP?

SharonT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
You committed the #1 offense of bureaucracy!

You used your common sense!

How dare you!

:D

Tell them to quit complaining or you'll lock them in a room full of 5th graders for the day. ;)

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
The main problem is that most "tech" people in a company are the perfect stereotype for computer jocks. They would rather be at home playing WoW and telling their other friends about how easily they could hook up with any supermodel. They are also the types that have a huge ego, because they usually deal with people that can't do what they do. So, what does this mean? This means they get to do what they want, when they want, at most companies. When you report that they aren't doing their jobs, it poses a threat to their cushiony situation.

Moderator #6

staphory

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
The main problem is that most "tech" people in a company are the perfect stereotype for computer jocks. They would rather be at home playing WoW and telling their other friends about how easily they could hook up with any supermodel. They are also the types that have a huge ego, because they usually deal with people that can't do what they do. So, what does this mean? This means they get to do what they want, when they want, at most companies. When you report that they aren't doing their jobs, it poses a threat to their cushiony situation.
Can you really use the words "computer" and "jocks" in the same sentence? :ezbill:

OP
OP
Goatman Saint

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Nope, they are bought. Nope no violation of any written policy, so there is only pride hurt. IT people are really annoying--sorry to any who post here, I don;t have to deal with you

DadsDream

Super Bowl Dreams!
Ratings
That be me, Dave. But, you'd like me as your IT guy.

My company has authorized me to give classes with up to three hours of Continuing Education credits (counts toward raises) per year per employee.

The first class I teach is complete dissassembly and reassembly of the PC so that the employee can name all the parts and understand their function. :)

Pure Energy

Rethink Everything
Ratings
Dave,

This is a question of corporate values. If you violated a writen SOP and you get anything more than a counseling session, they're more interested in the perpetuation of beauracracy than business results. The higher-ups should perform a root cause analysis to understand why the heck an employee felt the need to perform self-help of such an extreme measure.

Dave, my recommendation is to ensure your immediate management is apprised of your situation. They should be escalating this issue to an Enterprise/Global level.

If you worked for me, you'd get a high rating for initiative.:9:

OP
OP
Goatman Saint

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Dave,

Dave, my recommendation is to ensure your immediate management is apprised of your situation. They should be escalating this issue to an Enterprise/Global level.

If you worked for me, you'd get a high rating for initiative.:9:

Acutally, he thought it was funny. He is tired of dealing with them on this same issue, so he was laughing about it.

AndyG

For Yorkshire man
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Stock trick for situations like this when the first request doesn't sort it: email (used to be a memo way back when) a detailed description of the problem(s) to the appropriate place/person, cc'd to the manager responsible. Keep it accurate, concise, and professional.

That gives them a chance to sort it effectively, whilst ensuring there's a paper trail in place (which they are aware of) in the event that it's needed.

If this dosn't work, repeat the treatment, with the boss and the level above him/her. If you think you're getting too far out of your depth (or too high a managerial altitude) clear with *your* boss - and then cc him/her as well.

Pasty

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
As an IT manager, I'd want to know if my employees were slacking. I'd straighten that out first thing, but I'd do it internally.

I'd also tell you as an end user that I don't expect or want you to be doing IT's job (no offense). I'd give you my cellphone number and ask you to call me the next time you feel that you're not getting an appropriate response.

Last edited:
Moderator #15

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
That is one of the most untrue and irresponsible statements I have ever seen made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

We Support

Visit Team Gleason

Top Bottom