Did I win or lose this Saints argument? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Someone said losing Rankins devastates our playoffs hopes and that we NEED Rankins.

I then said I don't think losing him devastates out playoff hopes because our defense as a whole is vastly improved and also a Fairly/Davision DT combo is already an upgrade from what we had last year. Also out offense should remain top 5 or so.

He then said Rankins plays nose tackle and that Davison plays another position and Fairly is a rotational player at best. Also to trust him on this because we will need Rankins.

I think said well if you look at the depth chart on the Saints website they have moved to a more base 4-3 defense and Rankins was listed at right DT and Davision at left DT. So now Fairly presumably takes Rankins spot but regardless of having Rankins or not, the Saints are going to use different looks and rotations anyways on defense.

I also mentioned that if our playoff hopes depended on one rookie DT then we are a very bad team anyways. It takes all the players and just not one rookie to make the playoffs. Also the only player that we probably NEED to make the playoffs is arguably Drew Brees. I could see our chances being devastated if God forbid, Drew Brees went down.

Screw it the argument is public already on Facebook so no harm in sharing a screen shot.

More accurate info for y'all as I just summarized in the OP. I'm Arief Harlan btw. I'm not afraid to share my opinions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.25.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.25.59 PM.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.26.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.26.24 PM.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
Someone said losing Rankins devastates our playoffs hopes and that we NEED Rankins.

I then said I don't think losing him devastates out playoff hopes because our defense as a whole is vastly improved and also a Fairly/Davision DT combo is already an upgrade from what we had last year. Also out offense should remain top 5 or so.

He then said Rankins plays nose tackle and that Davison plays another position and Fairly is a rotational player at best. Also to trust him on this because we will need Rankins.

I think said well if you look at the depth chart on the Saints website they have moved to a more base 4-3 defense and Rankins was listed at right DT and Davision at left DT. So now Fairly presumably takes Rankins spot but regardless of having Rankins or not, the Saints are going to use different looks and rotations anyways on defense.

I also mentioned that if our playoff hopes depended on one rookie DT then we are a very bad team anyways. It takes all the players and just not one rookie to make the playoffs. Also the only player that we probably NEED to make the playoffs is arguably Drew Brees. I could see our chances being devastated if God forbid, Drew Brees went down.

Did you have that conversation else where here on the boards?

Kidding (notkidding) aside... yeah you seem to be on point. Especially at the last bit, if we were the difference between a rookie DT and missing the playoffs, we were never that close to begin with.

Did you have that conversation else where here on the boards?

Kidding (notkidding) aside... yeah you seem to be on point. Especially at the last bit, if we were the difference between a rookie DT and missing the playoffs, we were never that close to begin with.

It was publicly on Facebook.

He calls Fairly a rotational player at best and then also writes an article promoting Fairly.... I'm confused now. :hihi:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.31.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.31.52 PM.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 40
Almost no loss of a rookie first round pick devastates a team's playoff hopes. That's sheer silliness. Especially when you're a middle-of-the-road team who was realistically a few breaks away from being over .500.

I personally believe Rankins can still make an impact this season when he comes back, but DT is a position that has to be learned; there's more to it than lining up and bull-rushing QBs. He was going to be a rotation player from Week 1 sharing snaps with Fairley before the injury. I would have loved for him to step in Week 1 and be a difference-maker that wrecks shop, but that was unrealistic before the injury.

FWIW, in a 4-3 alignment the "nose tackle" is generally the more quick-footed undersized DT, which would be Rankins in our case. Either way, the positional distinction seems less important in our alignment. Actual football nerds should let me know if I'm missing something here.

Finally, in a Facebook argument, no one wins. But if it makes you feel better, your argument is grounded in reality.

I don't know him personally but I know about him. He use to be a regular poster on Nola.com. He is now wring for some independent Saints fan site. I am a little shock by his statement. How did he come to the conclusion that a rookie is the be all, end all to our playoff chances? It is bad that Rankin is injured but I think the organization would disagree with him. The season hasn't even started yet. And if we don't make the playoffs, it is not because of Rankin's injury.

I've had a few debates with him before. I admire his passion, but he's one of those fans who don't necessarily understand the picture. Based on what you said, i'd say clearly won.

Almost no loss of a rookie first round pick devastates a team's playoff hopes. That's sheer silliness. Especially when you're a middle-of-the-road team who was realistically a few breaks away from being over .500.

I personally believe Rankins can still make an impact this season when he comes back, but DT is a position that has to be learned; there's more to it than lining up and bull-rushing QBs. He was going to be a rotation player from Week 1 sharing snaps with Fairley before the injury. I would have loved for him to step in Week 1 and be a difference-maker that wrecks shop, but that was unrealistic before the injury.

FWIW, in a 4-3 alignment the "nose tackle" is generally the more quick-footed undersized DT, which would be Rankins in our case. Either way, the positional distinction seems less important in our alignment. Actual football nerds should let me know if I'm missing something here.

Finally, in a Facebook argument, no one wins. But if it makes you feel better, your argument is grounded in reality.

Yea I just stopped because he was gonna keep going for hours it seemed. It all started because I harshly disagreed with his headline on his article stating that losing Rankins devastated our playoff hopes.

Just didn't agree on really anything he had to say.

I don't know him personally but I know about him. He use to be a regular poster on Nola.com. He is now wring for some independent Saints fan site. I am a little shock by his statement. How did he come to the conclusion that a rookie is the be all, end all to our playoff chances? It is bad that Rankin is injured but I think the organization would disagree with him. The season hasn't even started yet. And if we don't make the playoffs, it is not because of Rankin's injury.

I hardly ever agree with his headlines for his Big Easy Believe articles. They jump to a conclusion usually that doesn't make sense. Since he posts them publicly on a Saints fan page I figured lets talk some football and gave him my opinion.

Yea I just stopped because he was gonna keep going for hours it seemed. It all started because I harshly disagreed with his headline on his article stating that losing Rankins devastated our playoff hopes.

Just didn't agree on really anything he had to say.

Gotta have steamin' hot takes to keep those clicks rolling in. Even-tempered analysis may be great for true fanatics like us but it doesn't draw in readers like click-bait headlines.

I hardly ever agree with his headlines for his Big Easy Believe articles. They jump to a conclusion usually that doesn't make sense. Since he posts them publicly on a Saints fan page I figured lets talk some football and gave him my opinion.

You're not alone. He posts his "articles" if you can even call them that, in one of the groups I was added to awhile back. As you said, just reading the headlines make me roll my eyes. :rolleyes: :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom