Did Manute Bol coin the phrase "my bad?" (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
I remember hearing widespread usage of "my bad" in 1987 or 1988. It wasn't around before, then suddenly it was everywhere. It spread so fast that I first refused to say it. But it became so ubiquitous that it lost the power to aggravate me. It became milquetoast and unnoticeable, really. So I said it then and still say it now, I suppose, though I don't notice when or if I do.

At first, though, it was noticeable. It was a new expression that wildfired itself into the lexicon of young people and old people. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of another expression that spread so rapidly and remained permanent.

Crazy to think that Manute Bol may have started it.

Manute Bol's legacy: did he invent the phrase 'my bad'? / Boing Boing

[a friend] emailed me to say that he heard the phrase was first used by the Sudanese immigrant basketball player Manute Bol, believed to have been a native speaker of Dinka (a very interesting and thoroughly un-Indo-Europeanlike language of the Nilo-Saharan superfamily). Says Arneson, "I first heard the phrase here in the Bay Area when Bol joined the Golden State Warriors in 1988, when several Warriors players started using the phrase." And Ben Zimmer's rummaging in the newspaper files down in the basement of Language Log Plaza produced a couple of early 1989 quotes that confirm this convincingly:
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Jan. 10, 1989: When he [Manute Bol] throws a bad pass, he'll say, "My bad" instead of "My fault," and now all the other players say the same thing.

USA Today, Jan. 27, 1989: After making a bad pass, instead of saying "my fault," Manute Bol says, "my bad." Now all the other Warriors say it too.

So all of this is compatible with a date of origin for the phrase in the early 1980s (Manute Bol first joined the NBA in 1985 but came to the USA before that, around 1980). Professor Ron McClamrock of the Philosophy Department at SUNY Albany tells me he recalls very definitely hearing the phrase on the basketball court when he was in graduate school at MIT in the early 1980s, so the news stories above could be picking the story up rather late; but it is still just possible that Manute Bol was the originator, because he played for Cleveland State and Bridgeport University in the early 1980s, and his neologism just could have spread from there to other schools in the northeast, such as MIT.

I'm pulling for the Manute Bol story. We could all stand a little more Manute in our lives.

manutebol.jpg

98200e5caa17d02af7f9073f4ae0a301.jpg

0445760001418491989_filepicker.jpg

that seems really early, and that link didn't provide much factual backup. You personally remember hearing it in the late 70s?

Yes, I did. Especially at little league baseball games. Kid miss a catch or over throw the ball..my bad. I remember it distinctly.

I'm more interested in the origins of "milquetoast".

I've always heard it attributed to him

Anyone remember that game where he made like six 3 pointers?

Yes, I did. Especially at little league baseball games. Kid miss a catch or over throw the ball..my bad. I remember it distinctly.

I'm incredulous. I was alert in the 70s and recall no such thing.

If it sounds like I'm doubting you, it's because I sort of am, but I'm also shocked at the possibility that I was in the dark about "my bad" for 8 to 10 years. So please don't take my doubting as jerky as much as it is truth-seeking.

I've always heard it attributed to him

Anyone remember that game where he made like six 3 pointers?

YES! And it was 6 in one half!! Steph Curry output there!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/45czWPhWQOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm incredulous. I was alert in the 70s and recall no such thing.

If it sounds like I'm doubting you, it's because I sort of am, but I'm also shocked at the possibility that I was in the dark about "my bad" for 8 to 10 years. So please don't take my doubting as jerky as much as it is truth-seeking.

It's cool. Maybe it was a term used in this general area that never really caught on until a celebrity said it. I'd bet lots of things like that exist locally but if you said it somewhere else people would look at you like you are crazy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom