Did Payton fake out the Giants? (1 Viewer)

Saint Jeremy

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Just some speculation on my part. We all know that the two games previous to the Giant game (Jets and Bills), the Saints didn't do a lot of passing. We all thought it was because the Jets and Bills defenses were very strong. But Drew did say that they had that game plan, to be conservative and not take too many chances on offense and make mistakes.

Then here come the Giants, supposedly the best or one of the best defenses in the league and they come out throwing. Does anyone think that Payton deliberately played the last two games conservative on O and then switched to aggressive vs the Giants to throw them off? A lot of the Giant defense players were saying that the Saints were doing stuff they didn't see on tape and weren't expecting or planned for.

It's just a theory I have. I think maybe Payton really really wanted to beat the Giants (because of his history with them) and had this scheme in his head as soon as the schedule came out. He also had 2 weeks to plan for them, which was to his advantage as well.

Or maybe I'm crazy. Either way they kicked some Giant butt right back to NY. WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Payton called plays in either of those games, not to tip his hand for future games... I just think that through course of those 2 games that was just how they played out. Our Defense was playing real well, and Pierre had the hot hand running it after a few plays... so we stuck with that formula not trying to risk a turnover like you mentioned.

In Buffalo there were some rough windy conditions, and in the NY game we got up early with Defensive scores.

Payton may be a big risk taker, but somehow I don't think he'd endanger two games *just* to win against the Giants. It's more likely he's got a lot more surprises in his bag of tricks that we'll see before the year is over.

I think during their tape study for the Giants they saw some things they thought they could exploit, and they were right. Thats one thing people havent really been talking about this season is the incredible job Payton and company have done of gameplanning for these teams. You dont win by these margins on talent alone, it has also been some excellent coaching as well.

Just some speculation on my part. We all know that the two games previous to the Giant game (Jets and Bills), the Saints didn't do a lot of passing. We all thought it was because the Jets and Bills defenses were very strong. But Drew did say that they had that game plan, to be conservative and not take too many chances on offense and make mistakes.

Then here come the Giants, supposedly the best or one of the best defenses in the league and they come out throwing. Does anyone think that Payton deliberately played the last two games conservative on O and then switched to aggressive vs the Giants to throw them off? A lot of the Giant defense players were saying that the Saints were doing stuff they didn't see on tape and weren't expecting or planned for.

It's just a theory I have. I think maybe Payton really really wanted to beat the Giants (because of his history with them) and had this scheme in his head as soon as the schedule came out. He also had 2 weeks to plan for them, which was to his advantage as well.

Or maybe I'm crazy. Either way they kicked some Giant butt right back to NY. WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!

I really, strongly doubt that. You do things play-wise to set up future playcalls, sure, but Sean Payton isn't going to dial back the offense overall in any game he feels he needs to take advantage of. Every win is precious.

The Buffalo game was a case of both the weather and how the Bills played us defensively. The Jets game, I really feel, was just a tempo issue and Sean Payton not feeling the need to press the issue.

As far as the Giants seeing things on the field they didn't see in film.....that's just Sean Payton and Drew Brees. That's been said about our offense for 3 years now, beginning in 2006 when everyone was convinced we'd be "figured out" at some point.

Apparently there is no limit to Sean Payton's formations, personal groupings, playcalls, or Drew Brees' line adjustments and check-offs. Which is why we've had the best offense in the NFL overall the past 3 and 1/3rd years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom