Did Payton Take A Veiled Swipe At Reggie? (1 Viewer)

something how when we faced philly in 2006, philly fans were arguing that brian westbrook was better than reggie, and everyone here bashed them, as if Bush was far superior,and it was insulting to think westbrook was as good, much less better than bush.. now everyone's wishing he would be as good as westbrook.....

Of course Payton took a swipe at Reggie.

To put it in perspective, this logic means he was taking a veiled swipe at Deuce. :smilielol:

RealChrisM's last post confirms what I suspected: that Bush was much more effective as a runner in the first half than he was in the second half. It does seem that opposing teams made adjustments in their defenses. It seems clear that the Saints need to anticipate those adjustments and plan accordingly.

There are 31 other teams who would LOVE to have Reggie Bush on the roster. Last year was a just a crappy year for the whole team. It wasn't our year. Let it go and get ready for a new year and be glad that one of the biggest threats in the league is wearing the black and gold.

RealChrisM's last post confirms what I suspected: that Bush was much more effective as a runner in the first half than he was in the second half. It does seem that opposing teams made adjustments in their defenses. It seems clear that the Saints need to anticipate those adjustments and plan accordingly.

? I may be drinking, but in 5 of bush's first 6 games last season he averaged 3.2 ypc or worse.

He started off horrible and could never gain yards in the 2nd half of games down the stretch.

Reggie had a decent year last year. His sophomore slump, I assume. I still think Reggie is a top RB in the NFL right now. He just has to work on his vision and hitting the hole harder, and gettin rid of the fumbles.

If payton was taking a "Swipe" at Bush lets hope it ignites a fire and Reggie goes off this year, Reggie already seems more serious this year by working out with the team and not messing with that "Fre Flo Do"........

With that being said........

Question: Who Lead All NFL Running Backs in the 2007 regular season in fumbles

Answer: Reggie Bush Lead All NFL Running Backs in fumbles with 7

Bush Finished the season with 8 total fumbles 7 rushing, 0 Receiving, 1 Punt. Bush Finished first and only had 157 Carries that’s a fumble every 22-23 carries. Clinton Portis Finished Second in Fumbles Among RB’s with 6 on 325 Carries, Big Difference. Bush Had 3 Games with Muiltable
Fumble, 2@TB, 2@HOU, And 2 More Vs TB. 6 of his 8 fumbles came from only 3 games. luckily only 3 out of the 8 Fumbles were actually lost fumbles, regardless thats still unacceptable. The Good news it’s correctable, Just Ask Tiki Barber.

I don't see it as a shot at Reggie. Heck, the kid was a big part of the team's journey to the NFCCG in 06',(had a huge year for a rookie) and played with a knee injury through quite a bit of last year and was still a force at times.

There are 31 other teams who would LOVE to have Reggie Bush on the roster. Last year was a just a crappy year for the whole team. It wasn't our year. Let it go and get ready for a new year and be glad that one of the biggest threats in the league is wearing the black and gold.
:worthy:Great comment!

? I may be drinking, but in 5 of bush's first 6 games last season he averaged 3.2 ypc or worse.

He started off horrible and could never gain yards in the 2nd half of games down the stretch.

In due respect, if you look at Deuce's numbers in the first three games, you'll realize that our running game was totally ineffective. It wasn't just Reggie. It was anyone we put back there.

Also, by using the five games that I used prior to Reggie getting injured against Jacksonville, I am not attempting to play fast and loose with the facts. I used those games because it was against Carolina that Reggie actually started being utilized as our featured back. While the first three games of the seasons certainly count, we have to consider that these were games where Reggie was not being featured. The stats do not just go out the window. Nevertheless, I think it's more fair to look at Reggie's production as a starting RB in the league where he was the guy being featured in the offense. I think in looking at it from that trajectory, you'll find that Reggie was not totally unproductive or as bad as people might be led to believe. And 4.2 yards per carry is nothing to dismiss as you seem to do by suggesting that he mustered 4.2 per carry. First, Deuce's career average is 4.3. Secondly, if we had better adjustments to other team's adjustments, he could have done a lot better for us. Finally, you must keep in mind, as I said in my previous post, Reggie was doing this at a time when the offensive line was not blcoking well. THE OFFENSIVE LINE HAD ONE OF THE WORST ADJUSTED YARDS PER CARRY averages in the entire league. We ranked in the box fourth of the league much of the early-to-middle part of the season. So, it shows that Reggie--while not living up to his full potential--was still able to be productive enough to average 4.2 yards per carry.

How many times were our RBs being hit in the backfield before they could even get to the line-of-scrimmage? Heck, against the Titans, Haynesworth was taking Jeff Faine to the cleaners. We could not run the ball at all. So Payton tried to beat the Titans passing the ball. But the Titans were dropping 8 back into coverage. Drew ended up throwing a lot into double coverage and, if I remember correctly, Keith Bullocks finished with 3 interceptions that night. They were beating our running game and offensive line with 4 guys up front. It was horrible to watch. Make no mistake about it, the play of the offensive line got much better in the second half.

Now, that does not mean that Reggie does not have some things to improve upon. For instance, he has to do a better job of holding on to the football. I think two of his fumbles that I could remember were not really fumbles. It was a matter of him putting the ball on the turf too soon after a play and it being called a fumble. For example, against the Texans, this happened near the goalline and it was erroneously called a fumble. Still, he has to hold on to the ball better. I also think he can be a much better runner. Reggie is a guy who should average 5 yards per carry or more. I think we will see better play from him because he is determined to play better.

From a broad perspective, it was a swipe at Reggie.

What else is Reggie to think if he read that himself?

How can a "broad persepctive" be a swipe at an individual player? The two contradict each other. I would think RB would believe that Payton is speaking in general terms and not specifically about him. I think you and the starter of this thread are reaching. Must not be a lot going on.

Just about everyone here knows my opinion of Reggie and his performance and his attitude, etc. I stated this a few weeks ago, but I'll say it again to make sure more people see it.

Please trust me when I say this, REGGIE MUST PROVE HIMSELF TO THE SAINTS ORGANIZATION THIS YEAR. He does not have the long leash that many of you may think he has with the Saints. They are losing patience. This is a do-or-die year for Reggie as a Saint in my opinion. I'm not saying he can't. I'm not saying he won't. I'm just saying that he MUST.

Let the attackers come, but I'm telling you, he'd better show up with his A-game and his best year yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom