Did Payton Take A Veiled Swipe At Reggie? (1 Viewer)

To Mackenzie: No, not just a huge reach, a HUGE reach. To the point of fabricating something just to push an agenda. (Not directed at you - it should be obvious just by reading this thread, though.)

Guitarzan makes a good point - RB left some to be desired last year, but so did nearly everybody else on the team. From all accounts he is highly motivated to do better, as any other highly competitive person would be, etc.

It is so short-sighted to try to throw RB under the bus at this point in his career. Not to mention tiresome. Carry on, though, .....

Payton specifically said mistake in the quote. If he really thought Reggie was a mistake he wouldn't have him as the focal point of his offense. I think its much more likely Payton wasn't even thinking about Reggie in this quote. There are plenty of real first round draft busts at RB that he could of been referring to.

I agree. I don't think Reggie Bush factored into this in Payton's mind at all.

1) He does not get the most out of each run. He looks for the sideline and will dive to the turf like a wide receiver if he doesn't think the play is going anywhere. I could say and have said that I think he's diving because he doesn't want to get hit, and he basically said the same thing in the Madden interview when he said that the number one (NUMBER ONE) thing he learned from his rookie season was that it was better to get out of bounds than to take another hit trying to get more yardage. I do NOT expect that from a running back. That is NOT the attitude I want out of my GO-TO guy at the tailback spot.

I just don't see this. Dives to the ground like a reciever? What about all of the jumping in mid-air and reaching for extra yards? He does this alot and it exposes him to some potentially violent shots. What about the Atlanta game when he absolutely refused to go down while 2 Falcons tried to keep him out of the endzone? Say what you want about running out of bounds instead of putting his head down and getting lit up, but when Reggie needs a yard, he is willing to do whatever it takes to get it. This quality coupled with his athleticism is what makes him a first down machine.

4) He didn't want to be on the field the final four games. How in the world are any fans fine with this attitude. Personally, I'm glad he didn't play because it gave Stecker and Thomas a chance to show that they could produce as well or better than Reggie with the same line, same qb, same offense, same everything except opponents. But, if this guy is supposed to be the go-to guy, a team leader, a superstar, etc., how can he be given a pass for begging out of the last four games of a playoff run??? His coach even called him out more than once in public during those games for not having enough guts and concern for the team to get on the field any way he could. Remember, these aren't MY WORDS. They are Sean Payton's words! This same Sean Payton who now makes a backhanded comment comparing successful lower-round running backs to unsuccessful first-round backs. Only those who still want to believe that everything is always coming up roses for Reggie would be blind enough to convice themselves that this was not a torpedo shot across Reggie's bow. IT IS A SERIOUS PUBLIC WARNING to Reggie to do exactly what I said in another post -- put up or shut up.

Yeah, I think you are reaching there. The guy was hurt and I can't recall any of what you are saying about Payton calling him out, or Reggie begging to sit.

For those of you who are still ignorant of the coach's comments about Reggie (one last year and the second of the the two that I mentioned is the ONE THAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!!!) For those of you that didn't get it, I am saying that it is my opinion that the coach WAS talking about Reggie when he made the statement about first-round running backs. That's quote #1. I don't think that Bonchie or anyone else needs a LINK or a URL to go find that quote at the TOP OF THE THREAD!

Second quote: (which actually came last year) is the other one I mentioned already!!! Remember when Sean Payton called Reggie's guts into question last year because he thought Reggie wasn't injured enough to sit out a playoff run, i.e., the last four games of the season???? Does that ring any bells for those of you that ridiculously called for LINKS or URL's?? If I have to provide a link to either of these Payton quotes for you then you are not actual Saints fans who keep up with the team other than reading box scores on Monday morning, or you're just being extremely anal about providing a link or a url to referenced material. Either way, the clear thinkers and Saints fans on this site will remember both of these without links or url's.

Sorry for the tone, but the facetiousness just irks me.

So your first bit of proof is an extreme reach about an incredibly general quote. The next quote is one that nobody else seems to remember. This could easily be cleared up if you could provide a quote of Payton calling Bush out for refusing to play/begging to sit.

I just don't see this. Dives to the ground like a reciever? What about all of the jumping in mid-air and reaching for extra yards? He does this alot and it exposes him to some potentially violent shots. What about the Atlanta game when he absolutely refused to go down while 2 Falcons tried to keep him out of the endzone? Say what you want about running out of bounds instead of putting his head down and getting lit up, but when Reggie needs a yard, he is willing to do whatever it takes to get it. This quality coupled with his athleticism is what makes him a first down machine.

Yeah, I think you are reaching there. The guy was hurt and I can't recall any of what you are saying about Payton calling him out, or Reggie begging to sit.

My friend....you are wasting your time. GTAZ trashes Reggie every chance he gets to the point where I think Reggie has done something to him in the past. Don't waste your logic on this issue. On other topics he's fine, but for some reason he has complete and utter hatred for Reggie Bush.

To take your quote out of context, may I point out that this country was founded on liberalism and is kept from being an autocracy by the very same? Proud to be one.

I get your analogy though. Actually I live it all the time. There's no oxymoron to be labeled as a fighting mad liberal though and when I encounter that kind of discrediting I become enraged.

OK back on subject. As the number 2 overall, first running back chosen, I feel that Reggie leaves SOME to be desired, but probably not nearly as strongly as HE feels about it. I think no one expects and wants more than Reggie. Therein lies the malady. IMO

My name is REALCHRISM and I approve this message.

For those of you who are still ignorant of the coach's comments about Reggie (one last year and the second of the the two that I mentioned is the ONE THAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!!!) For those of you that didn't get it, I am saying that it is my opinion that the coach WAS talking about Reggie when he made the statement about first-round running backs. That's quote #1. I don't think that Bonchie or anyone else needs a LINK or a URL to go find that quote at the TOP OF THE THREAD!

Second quote: (which actually came last year) is the other one I mentioned already!!! Remember when Sean Payton called Reggie's guts into question last year because he thought Reggie wasn't injured enough to sit out a playoff run, i.e., the last four games of the season???? Does that ring any bells for those of you that ridiculously called for LINKS or URL's?? If I have to provide a link to either of these Payton quotes for you then you are not actual Saints fans who keep up with the team other than reading box scores on Monday morning, or you're just being extremely anal about providing a link or a url to referenced material. Either way, the clear thinkers and Saints fans on this site will remember both of these without links or url's.

Sorry for the tone, but the facetiousness just irks me.

So in other words you have absolutely nothing? Got it.

I think I'll go back to avoiding these threads for another couple of months. Its just the same stuff over and over.

Last edited:
I'm tired of the Reggie Bush excuses myself, I dont think its the "way he is used" I dont think its the O-line, I think its Reggie, he isnt a finished product, we need to accept that, and its ok, alot of rookies come into the league and need to learn a thing or two, we thought Reggie was on the other side of the ball, he would come in and continue his winning ways...and he has fallen short in a few areas of his game, but I dont agree with the Reggie Bashers who seem to think everytime he touches the ball its negative yards, I think thats a reach....the Marshall Faulk comparison is only because they have the same style (running, recieving(er)) not production, I think people take the optomist to literal when we (they) make optomistic points about Reggie we recognize his faults, we just think there fixable, on the other hand the Pessimist wanna believe, this is the beginning of a bad career for another Saints pick...and there free to feel that way, just like we optomist are free to feel that he is a offseason away (this offseason) from getting back on track.

If Reggie wants to be the man, he needs to practice like it.

I'm tired of the Reggie Bush excuses myself, I dont think its the "way he is used" I dont think its the O-line, I think its Reggie, he isnt a finished product, we need to accept that, and its ok, alot of rookies come into the league and need to learn a thing or two, we thought Reggie was on the other side of the ball, he would come in and continue his winning ways...and he has fallen short in a few areas of his game, but I dont agree with the Reggie Bashers who seem to think everytime he touches the ball its negative yards, I think thats a reach....the Marshall Faulk comparison is only because they have the same style (running, recieving(er)) not production, I think people take the optomist to literal when we (they) make optomistic points about Reggie we recognize his faults, we just think there fixable, on the other hand the Pessimist wanna believe, this is the beginning of a bad career for another Saints pick...and there free to feel that way, just like we optomist are free to feel that he is a offseason away (this offseason) from getting back on track.

If Reggie wants to be the man, he needs to practice like it.

Amen.

And so, as the article goes, Mr. Smith quotes several current execs about the draft and its importance and then he quotes Sean Payton on the subject, and this is what Payton said:

"You might think (grading) running backs is easy, Payton said. "You're just going to see a good runner. But you go back in the last six or seven years and you look at how many day-two running backs were drafted who were great players. (Dallas') Marion Barber for example (a fourth-round pick in 2005). "Then take a look at the first-round running backs...there are some mistakes at that position, and you can't put a handle on it. Everyone liked the player, but (running back) is a unique poition."

Why everybody thinks that Sean Payton is meaning production? To me Sean Payton talks about GRADING PLAYERS, that has nothing to do with production! We all know that college is not near the NFL level, and that is the greatest handicap for the FO people when grading certain players. Last year A Petersen was drafted at the 7th spot.....that was a huge blunder for 6 teams, who passed on him This year is the RB from the Razorbacks....I have seen mocks in drafting him from the 3-4th spot to the 22nd spot in some of the early mocks. heck, Brian Baldinger even said that Pierre Thomas is a better runner than Mcfadden, so opinions differ a great deal. If it turns out that McFadden is a bust, and he is drafted by the Raiders, that would be a huge blow.....I think that's what Sean Payton means when discussing GRADING PLAYERS at the RB position!

chitownsaint said:
My friend....you are wasting your time. GTAZ trashes Reggie every chance he gets to the point where I think Reggie has done something to him in the past. Don't waste your logic on this issue. On other topics he's fine, but for some reason he has complete and utter hatred for Reggie Bush.

Please, let me know when the logic begins. I see a huge amount of denial from the usual suspects in this thread. It really doesn't surprise me that the short list doesn't recall anything about the quote I mentioned from last year. It was on television and radio. The WWL pundits were all over it for weeks. Yep, really doesn't surprise me at all that none of you can remember anything about it since it was very negative press about the hero himself.

As far as reaches, I can see where anything that pops up on the Reggie Radar as negative would seem like a reach to you.

birdog said:
If it turns out that McFadden is a bust, and he is drafted by the Raiders, that would be a huge blow.

Birdog, exactly how would you define BUST?

whodat7 said:
Again, I know I keep linking this site, but I find constant relevance to what everyone talks about here and what they talk about at this site.

Blog and Gold

I know what most of you are thinking ... gtaz wrote that, right? Nope, I didn't. I've never even gone to that site until I clicked WD7's link. I have to say that I agree with the first two blogs I read, though.

1) Reggie has not produced for his draft position and his money.

2) After Dorsey and Ellis are gone, and they will be, we should pick Rivers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom