Did Reggie ever comment on that unforced fumble (1 Viewer)

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While he was breaking away? Did his knee come up and hit the ball? He was untouched and was pulling away and then woooop.

His qoute in the TP this morning was that he thought someone was right behind him so he kept looking back. Guess he just lost focus on the ball for a second.

He said that he thought that someone was closing in on his right side and he was starting to protect the ball and it got away from him. He said that the guys on the sideline teased him because the closest guy was five yards away.

While he was breaking away? Did his knee come up and hit the ball? He was untouched and was pulling away and then woooop.

He was holding it high and tight against his shoulder pads (the chest portion). Pumped his arms to hard and it popped out. As everyone else mentioned, he explained he was worried about someone being behind him (if he was carrying the ball by his side they might reach in and pop it out)

In other words, he fumbled because he was trying to make sure he didn't fumble. Go figure

he was distracted by all of the fans standing at the game

He lost control of the ball after he broke the sound barrier. The sonic boom startled him and dropped it. He just needs to keep it under Mach one from now on.

well whatever it was it is a sign of whats to come. He will hit home runs and strike out all in the same at bat.

That's funny. He said it was cause he thought someone was coming up on him. Look at the play again. When he hit the open field, he was getting more and more seperation. That boy was NOT gettin caught.

Dude, we were all standing and jumping up & down when he broke loose to the sideline. Then, it was like our whole section got punched in the gut when he fumbled. Man, he was gone and a long TD run would have been gravy, even though he got it, what, 2 plays later?
I can't complain.

That's funny. He said it was cause he thought someone was coming up on him. Look at the play again. When he hit the open field, he was getting more and more seperation. That boy was NOT gettin caught.

He overthinks things. Who breaks for a potential 90 yard reception and still thinks "gosh I better protect the football, is someone behind me?, let me pull the ball up some...". He's a really smart player, and I love it, but he really seems to be overthinking things still.

Yeah! He's trying and thinking too hard. Gee, as if that's a bad thing. I'd rather him thinking and trying hard than not. I wonder if it is a confidence thing. Obviously, he shouldn't have too many hang ups on his confidence, but his confidence couldn't have been too high early on.

He DIDN'T turn it over and he eventually got the score. That's all that matters to me.

I remember a few years back, the 49's had the ball and the player broke free and ran to the endzone. He dropped the ball prior to crossing the goal....but the refs gave them a touchdown.

8 and 4 baby!!

Man, he was gone and a long TD run would have been gravy, even though he got it, what, 2 plays later?
I can't complain.

I'd second that emotion, except his shoulder got injured (hopefully not seriously) on that following play. If he just holds on to the ball, he doesn't have to run that reverse two plays later, and his shoulder never gets hit. The football gods can be cruel.

I remember a few years back, the 49's had the ball and the player broke free and ran to the endzone. He dropped the ball prior to crossing the goal....but the refs gave them a touchdown.

8 and 4 baby!!

You're correct. That happened to a seasoned vet named Jerry Rice. It happens to the best of them. No one talks about how Reggie juked several Niners out of their shoes to create that run, just how he fumbled? I don't get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom