Did Sean PAyton talk to any D players before firing Spags? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
one of the intriguing things about this whole 3-4/spags firing is how it doesn't fit the 3 defensive captains (Vilma, Smith, Harper - yes they're probably gone anyway)
- it seems odd that he wouldn't talk to any players before making such a move...???

and if he didn't talk to anyone, Vitt MUST have had conversations with players about this -

who??

(obviously this will be speculation since the board would have blown up if there was actual evidence of post-suspension communication, but...)

Totally fits Harper. And Vilma could work too. We ran a lit of 3-4 looks with Williams.

Harper probably gone??? You do realize we will eat somewhere around 5 million by releasing him correct (someone please correct me if I am mistaken)? We def. have the cap space to do things like this.

The Safety assignments in a 3-4 scheme are almost identical to a 4-3. So Harper shouldn't have any issue in the new defense.

Its also looks good for Vilma. When he was a stronger and faster player he didn't like the 3-4 in New York because it didn't allow him to play the sideline the to sideline defense he wanted to. Now that he's older, the smaller field the 3-4 scheme gives him should actually help him now that he's a little slower, plus it allows for both Lofton and Vilma to be on the field at the same time.

Will Smith is the only real odd man out. He is classic 4-3 end and will have trouble switching over. But with his salary next year, I can't imagine the Saints were gonna keep in no matter what defense they were running.

I hope Payton doesn't make decisions based on what the players are saying.

Why? If I'm the CEO and all my employees tell me their manager and his systems suck then I'm going to take that into consideration.

I hope Payton doesn't make decisions based on what the players are saying.

Well, but in this particular situation where's been LITERALLY out of the building for close to a year, who else you gonna talk to?

How does it not fit Harper?....people really want this guy out of town...smh...Payton addressed it by saying that Spags is strickly a 4-3 guy and before him we had 3-4 concepts and were able to tailer our defense to fit the strenghts on the players (ie: Harper in the box and blitzing)...he went on to say that the top defenses in the league tend to be 3-4 teams and they wanted to switch to it for awhile now...I think it has less to do with Spags and more to do with what direction Coach Payton wanted this team to go defensively.

I don't think Sean talked to any players. I can't imagine any boss talking to employees before firing a manager? I liked the move and am excited about things to come. I like what he said about defenses in the NFL being more productive in a 3-4. You can tell Sean has really done his homework, but I would expect nothing less from him. My only question is about the anonymous players rant about Spags... I wonder if it was more truthful than it first appeared.

Well, but in this particular situation where's been LITERALLY out of the building for close to a year, who else you gonna talk to?

During his first Senior Bowl presser he talked about their upcoming defensive meeting being painful ...so he figured he was going to fire Spags, even before he unpacked his bags.

It was up to Vitt and Loomis to dissuade him but they were not going to make that mistake, and risk the wrath of Payton if they were wrong.

Parcells surely discussed this with Sean during the offseason. He told Sean that walking into the clubhouse wasn't enough, he had serious problems needing fixing.

Vilma and Lofton can easily play the two inside backers (mike and Jack), and Hawthorne (sam) and unknown (Maybe the Shan) can play will.

Loomis told Payton after Mickey heard it thru wiretap in the locker room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom