Did the guy from Empire fake a hate crime? (2 Viewers)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/arts/television/empire-jussie-smollett-attacked.amp.html

Jussie Smollett, one of the stars of the Fox television show “Empire,” was attacked in Chicago early Tuesday morning by two people who yelled racial and homophobic slurs and wrapped a rope around his neck, according to the police, who said they were investigating the incident as “a possible hate crime.”
When I saw this story, I immediately thought of Charlie Rogers. She is someone who I met during a 8 week training course I attended in 2008.

A few years later this happened.,,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/journalstar.com/news/local/911/rogers-pleads-no-contest-in-fake-hate-crime-case/article_d6e6532a-91f7-5317-849c-a44f9b1269dc.amp.html

Charlie Rogers maintained her innocence even as a Lancaster County judge found her guilty Monday of faking the anti-gay hate crime that shocked Lincoln and made headlines across the country.
She seemed like a normal person and was one of the most well liked people in our class. Clearly either she was masking mental illness, or something happened that got her to the point of faking an attack to get attention.

I’m not saying that I am certain that Smollett made this up, but his story is having a harder time checking out than I’d expect if it were true.

OP
OP
WhoDatPhan78

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
I mean you are saying this

And the only reason for your doubt is bc there isn’t an arrest yet (and bc you know someone who faked a report?)
The story doesn’t make sense. It has the same type of holes that Charlie’s story did. It feels the same.

The police have checked surveillance cameras in the area. They haven’t found anything.

24 hours later his story isn’t supported by any evidence.

We’ll see I guess.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When I first read it, was disgusted and thought about posting it. But I hesitated because something about it seemed suspect - like there were just too many details to go along with this supposed encounter on the subway.

I don’t really know what has happened since and if that’s how it happened, it’s just awful.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
I mean you are saying this

And the only reason for your doubt is bc there isn’t an arrest yet (and bc you know someone who faked a report?)
Red flags all over that story.

1. People don't typically walk around Chicago at 2 am with a bottle of bleach and a rope.

2. He claims that they spotted him and asked if he was that actor from Empire. Racists white folks certainly don't spend their time watching Empire.

3. He says they were screaming "this is MAGA country". Chicago is definitely not MAGA country. Why lie about something that is so easy to debunk?

4. There are a lot of surveillance cameras in the area and so far none of them show such a crime.

5. Lying about racially motivated incidents seems to be a trend among Empire actors.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Red flags all over that story.

1. People don't typically walk around Chicago at 2 am with a bottle of bleach and a rope.

2. He claims that they spotted him and asked if he was that actor from Empire. Racists white folks certainly don't spend their time watching Empire.

3. He says they were screaming "this is MAGA country". Chicago is definitely not MAGA country. Why lie about something that is so easy to debunk?

4. There are a lot of surveillance cameras in the area and so far none of them show such a crime.

5. Lying about racially motivated incidents seems to be a trend among Empire actors.
1. you seem to know a lot about the workings of chicago-based racists
2. the last part of 3 doesn't help the argument

that being said, i'm not saying yes/no one way or the other - i was just noting that Phan was asking a question that wasn't really a question

my wife told me about this story earlier, but i'd only seen headlines to this point

Bishop

shuffle-by Poster
Reaction score
I wish politicians above all would wait until investigations conclude before commenting on these issues, tho...

OP
OP
WhoDatPhan78

WhoDatPhan78

Reaction score
it was always going to be a story without winners
It’s not about winners. If it’s a hate crime that says something about our society.

If it’s a fabrication, our reaction says something about our society.

Either way it tells us something about our society. Hopefully we will be able to grow either way.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Anyone check to see if those Kovington Katholic Kids are on a field trip to Chicago? Might as well pin this on them too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom