Did the guy from Empire fake a hate crime? (2 Viewers)

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Sticky Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/arts/television/empire-jussie-smollett-attacked.amp.html

Jussie Smollett, one of the stars of the Fox television show “Empire,” was attacked in Chicago early Tuesday morning by two people who yelled racial and homophobic slurs and wrapped a rope around his neck, according to the police, who said they were investigating the incident as “a possible hate crime.”
When I saw this story, I immediately thought of Charlie Rogers. She is someone who I met during a 8 week training course I attended in 2008.

A few years later this happened.,,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/journalstar.com/news/local/911/rogers-pleads-no-contest-in-fake-hate-crime-case/article_d6e6532a-91f7-5317-849c-a44f9b1269dc.amp.html

Charlie Rogers maintained her innocence even as a Lancaster County judge found her guilty Monday of faking the anti-gay hate crime that shocked Lincoln and made headlines across the country.
She seemed like a normal person and was one of the most well liked people in our class. Clearly either she was masking mental illness, or something happened that got her to the point of faking an attack to get attention.

I’m not saying that I am certain that Smollett made this up, but his story is having a harder time checking out than I’d expect if it were true.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Didn't you begin all of this with whataboutcovington?
Nope. I mentioned Covington as last week's example of a fake muhMAGAracism story the press jumped on. You think that's an example of deflecting from this story via whataboutism?

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When I first read it, was disgusted and thought about posting it. But I hesitated because something about it seemed suspect - like there were just too many details to go along with this supposed encounter on the subway.

I don’t really know what has happened since and if that’s how it happened, it’s just awful.
I was listening to it on NPR today. The reaction to it, if it is true. I actually started feeling guilty for wondering if this attack was true or not. Did it really go down like that? Clearly the guy was attacked by someone. Why? And eyewitness testimony, especially when the victim, can be suspect.

I'd like to hope some evidence comes out and an arrest is made.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. I mentioned Covington as last week's example of a fake muhMAGAracism story the press jumped on. You think that's an example of deflecting from this story via whataboutism?
You could have articulated that - and it would have been a fair point. But that's not what you did. Come on.

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You could have articulated that - and it would have been a fair point. But that's not what you did. Come on.
The smarter example would have been the Houston shooting of that little girl that the police first identified a white man as the culprit, the assumption was racism, then later, it was discovered it was in error. The guy was on the scene, but the trauma clouded the memory of the victims, and it was really a gang shooting gone wrong (they thought it was someone else's car).

The Covington story is more a discussion on viral news going too fast, but at the same time, the kids, I don't think, were every fully exonerated.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The smarter example would have been the Houston shooting of that little girl that the police first identified a white man as the culprit, the assumption was racism, then later, it was discovered it was in error. The guy was on the scene, but the trauma clouded the memory of the victims, and it was really a gang shooting gone wrong (they thought it was someone else's car).

The Covington story is more a discussion on viral news going too fast, but at the same time, the kids, I don't think, were every fully exonerated.
Yeah, I agree that an individual perpetrating his own hate crime is not really the same kind of activity that happened with the Covington kids. But I do think that Flip could have articulated a point about the willingness of the media to run with stories of MAGA-based racism (though I don't think the "media" really "ran" with the Smollett story). That's somewhat relevant.

That point could have been made in a meaningful way to encourage discussion. That's certainly not what he elected to do, however.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score

Nah, I am not even sure the Houston story was "fake". I may be wrong, but the last I recall one of the kids saw someone who met the description of the driver. Now, the reaction to what the kid stated is a different matter.

Nathan Phillips turned out to be pure lying filth. No doubt about that. And even after there was plenty of evidence to put people on at least inquiry notice, the media didn't really inquire. Not like they should have anyway.

Saint_Ward

Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, it's way too early to tell. Haven't seen an image of him being hurt. The manager did say he heard what he heard. Unless they're covering up another attack or domestic violence situation, I'm not sure why the manager would lie.

We have to wait and see.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP, it's way too early to tell. Haven't seen an image of him being hurt. The manager did say he heard what he heard. Unless they're covering up another attack or domestic violence situation, I'm not sure why the manager would lie.

We have to wait and see.
His manager says he was on the phone with him at the time, but reports are that he and "the victim" are refusing to cooperate by providing access to their phones or phone records. It also seems somewhat strange that the manager would hear this and not make a call to the CPD himself. Maybe he felt he didn't have sufficient information about the location of the alleged incident.

Who knows what, if anything, happened. One local reporter stated that her sources in the CPD said they had no info about broken ribs. So, it could be all we are left with is a scratch on the face.

It's weird that he didn't make an effort to immediately report the incident and when the police arrived he was still wearing "the rope".

After all that effort to review video coverage all they have been able to locate were images of two figures across the street from the actor.

Bishop

shuffle-by Poster
Reaction score
I think your indignation would be better focused on TMZ, BuzzFeed, Huffington Post, Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, AOC, etc.
Nope. I watch the 3 national network news shows along with Lemon, Cooper and Burnett. I also watch Maher, but he's a different animal.

Now.... let's just delve into your favorite sources of what passes for news these days in your world? Ill wait right here.

Also, why don't you show us all just where I'd given any credence whatsoever to views presented from Harris or Booker, etc? I merely posted exactly what the Chicago PD had stated, which would've been just enough for you and everyone currently repping you, had a white girl claimed attack by two black males caught on cam across the street from her during those wee hours

CPD said a dozen detectives are pursuing new leads, including the grainy photos. Police said they have tracked Smollett's movements that night. They confirmed video shows Smollett walking across the street from the two possible persons of interest. Police said in the video he walks out of frame for about a minute and reappears on another camera "wearing a rope like a neck tie."

Fake News! No, that's called documented observations of expert CPD technicians, along with multiple detectives.

You've never asked me exactly what my opinion of this matter is, yet it's strange how you keep bringing up two subjects minding their own business on cam means nothing during some posts. I then mentioned that the police would reasonably be interested in anyone who would happen to be the only ones directly across the street during that particular time frame.

Your trifling response was to go off some tangent about my viewing habits.
Just stick with the facts. I'm kinda embarrassed by responding to you again, yet your posting record makes me pretty sure that you have absolutely no shame to your game...

Last edited:

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Nope. I watch the 3 national network news shows along with Lemon, Cooper and Burnett. I also watch Maher, but he's a different animal.

Now.... let's just delve into your favorite sources of what passes for news these days in your world? Ill wait right here.

Also, why don't you show us all just where I'd given any credence whatsoever to views presented from Harris or Booker, etc? I merely posted exactly what the Chicago PD had stated, which would've been just enough for you and everyone currently repping you, had a white girl claimed attack by two black males caught on cam across the street from her during those wee hours

CPD said a dozen detectives are pursuing new leads, including the grainy photos. Police said they have tracked Smollett's movements that night. They confirmed video shows Smollett walking across the street from the two possible persons of interest. Police said in the video he walks out of frame for about a minute and reappears on another camera "wearing a rope like a neck tie."

Fake News! No, that's called documented observations of expert CPD technicians, along with multiple detectives.

You've never asked me exactly what my opinion of this matter is, yet it's strange how you keep bringing up two subjects minding their own business on cam means nothing during some posts. I then mentioned that the police would reasonably be interested in anyone who would happen to be the only ones directly across the street during that particular time frame.

Fake News!

Your trifling response was to go off some tangent about my viewing habits.
Just stick with the facts. I'm kinda embarrassed by responding to you again, yet your posting record makes me pretty sure that you have absolutely no shame to your game...

All of that, and my point wasn't even to suggest that you frequent those news sources. Those are just the ones that have the most atrocious coverage of this story.

My sources of information on this story have been the local news outlets and the Twitter accounts of Chicago reporters. I have seen the reports of those outlets I mentioned, but the only thing one can learn from them is just how shady the media is.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
just for the record, you're saying you reject people making up shirt about posters and wish they would stop making up shirt about posters?
"Just for the record"? Just stick with pretending that you care about media literacy.

Oye

Board Man
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Just for the record"? Just stick with pretending that you care about media literacy.
I'll take you making up shirt to be a "nah, I'm actually cool with people making up shirt" acknowledgment

considering your propensity to do this to posters, I assumed this was the answer. But having it on record for posterity works.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
I'll take you making up shirt to be a "nah, I'm actually cool with people making up shirt" acknowledgment

considering your propensity to do this to posters, I assumed this was the answer. But having it on record for posterity works.
Well Oye, as always we all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom