Poll Did the Saints avert disaster with Clowney deciding on the Titans? (1 Viewer)

Your thoughts on what the Saints were trying to do in order to sign Clowney

• Whatever it took to sign him I was good with

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • I had some reservations about this deal

Votes: 123 59.1%
  • It was sheer lunacy

Votes: 48 23.1%

• Total voters

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I am speaking directly to the attempt by the Saints of giving up a 2nd round pick allegedly to the Browns so they would save us $5 million in cap space to make it possible for us to even sign him.

After an injury plagued rookie season, Clowney has managed to average only 6.4 sacks a year.

A lack of consistent effort has been his downfall in failing to live up to his immense billing coming out of college. Which in turn speaks to his character, undoubtedly.

I don’t know if he was necessarily a need for you guys....but the NFL had no business blocking the sign & trade. A 2nd round pick is valuable consideration you were sending the Browns
Explicitly stated in the rules you can't trade cash for a draft pick.

Browns were gonna pay, in essence, $5 million in order to get the Saints 2nd round pick. That was never gonna happen between any two teams in the NFL. Ever.

Explicitly stated in the rules you can't trade cash for a draft pick.

Browns were gonna pay, in essence, $5 million in order to get the Saints 2nd round pick. That was never gonna happen between any two teams in the NFL. Ever.
I mean, the Browns paid 16 million for the Texans 2nd round pick in the Brock trade. Everyone knew the player was irrelevant in the deal. Guess the Saints could have sent Williams to make the deal “appear” kosher

Last edited:
We didnt necessarily need Clowney but with a well rounded roster, we could have afforded to burn the pick to acquire him. It was high risk, high reward. If it brought a ring, it trumps the 2nd round pick.

guess it doesn’t really matter now though

49ers gave up a third and fourth round pick for three months of Sanders and because of that beat us in the important head to head matchup and got to the Super Bowl and I'm sure they will tell anyone that it was well worth it.

I think Clowney would have been a game changer and all but guaranteed a Super Bowl for us so yes, I would have been ok with giving up the 2nd rder. Wouldn't be thrilled with it, but we're obviously all-in so I'd support it. I'm sure Payton will be active around the trade deadline too if there's a player he feels will put us over the top.

I definitely wasn’t fond of giving a 2nd for him, I think it worked out for the best imo...but this whole situation made wonder...who was the player we were willing to deal to Cleveland?

I wasn’t super thrilled about him at 10, but I wouldn’t complain about it. 15 just seems waaaay too high. In either circumstance, giving up a 2nd in addition to the cash is too much.

But in some fantasy land where we could give up a 2nd (as in only the pick) for a FA, I’d be ok with it.

It depends on the player that was supposedly going to be involved. I wouldn’t mind giving up the pick as we have such a deep roster as it is. Plus we have shown that we can get good players later in the draft as well as undrafted. If Davenport could be counted on to stay healthy than I would rather keep the DE spot as is. If he does he will have a huge year IMO. He has the talent to be one of the better defensive ends in the league. Hopefully he sees this as a critique to his game and steps it up even more

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom