Did we have a run and shoot like offense last year (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I remember seeing a quote earlier today that pointed out that our offense was very complicated to figure out and it got me thinking a little bit: With the way we threw the ball so much, did it sort of resemble the old run and shoot offense the Oilers and the Falcons used for many years. The way we had 4 WR sets and hardly ever running the ball even for a short gain.

I want some input on this because if we did will we rely on it again next year or was it just us using that offense because we had no other choice?

In essence how powerful is our offense going to be when the pieces of he puzzle are all put together? We have the potential to set scoring records in the NFL if we get it right.

I think 2008 is the year where we will see the offense set up and go on from where it has to be taken. We still need a defense and some CB's to fix it all up

The run and shoot was popular for about three years with teams who had coaches that didn't like the tight end for some reason. There were no tight ends at all in the run and shoot offense. It's a mistake, however, to think that teams playing the run and shoot didn't run the ball much. They did, but the alignment was different. I don't have the official stats available right now, but I remember reading somewhere that the pass to run ratio in percentage of plays run was around 55:45.

I remember seeing a quote earlier today that pointed out that our offense was very complicated to figure out and it got me thinking a little bit: With the way we threw the ball so much, did it sort of resemble the old run and shoot offense the Oilers and the Falcons used for many years. The way we had 4 WR sets and hardly ever running the ball even for a short gain.

I want some input on this because if we did will we rely on it again next year or was it just us using that offense because we had no other choice?

In essence how powerful is our offense going to be when the pieces of he puzzle are all put together? We have the potential to set scoring records in the NFL if we get it right.

I think 2008 is the year where we will see the offense set up and go on from where it has to be taken. We still need a defense and some CB's to fix it all up

This stuff doesn't work. I didn't even know the Oilers and Falcons even tried that nonsense.

Mouse Davis knew what he was doing. Jim Kelly and the Houston Gamblers could pass your butts off the field.

An NFL coach, can't remember. Jack Pardee. In Texas?

This was pass or draw on nearlly every down, but the gimmick will die in the NFL because eventually people know how to stop it. Actually, it doesn't take that long to figure out.

Input? OK. We don't even remotely resemble the run and shoot.

(I'll edit here, Davis coached Atlanta and Pardee was in Houston, NFL)

ddd

This stuff doesn't work. I didn't even know the Oilers and Falcons even tried that nonsense.

The Oilers, Falcons, and the Lions all ran the run and shoot for years and ran it pretty effectively. All that yardage Warren Moon put up in Houston? A result of the run and shoot. Same thing when Bobby Hebert and then Jeff George were in Atlanta(they ran it while June Jones was OC, then HC). Scott Mitchell put up some big numbers and IIRC even went to Pro Bowl because of the run and shoot. It was a very trendy offense and lasted a lot longer than three years, as stated by Professor. Eventually, defenses just got faster and teams couldn't protect their QB or run the ball effectively in that offense.

I always joked with a friend of mine that the Saints ran the shoot and shoot offense last year because of how much they passed. I don't think they really used any real run and shoot offense concepts, though. We just passed a lot. We used a lot of receivers, but rather than just using 4 WRs, we used backs and TEs in tandem with our WRs. If anything, our offense was probably most similar to the Bill Walsh offense used with the 49ers when they went to their first Superbowl in the 80s. In that offense, a short pass to a RB was basically considered a long hand off.

3-4 defense killed it. There was no one left to block if one of the OLB's came in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom