Did we just rebuild this team?? (1 Viewer)

It just hit me that we just quietly, and successfully rebuilt this team. Normally it takes years of bad teams in order for an organization to rebuild their team. I'd consider us lucky, all we had to endure was a couple of 7-9 seasons. We have overhauled our team and filled it with a bunch of young, promising players and a couple of young superstars (Armstead, Jordan, Breaux).

Although I don't think Grayson is the future at the quarterback position, I believe that Brees could have a solid 3 years left which gives us time to draft another qb and give him a season or two under drew.

O-line is the final unit that needs to be overhauled (Besides Armstead of course). Although he is a great player, I think we let Max Unger walk after the season and allow Jack Allen to show us what he has, unless Unger is willing to come back on a short-term extension (doubtful).

It's also important to remember that we did all of this while also creating a winning culture in the locker room and removing players that didn't share the same attitude.

Thoughts?

Well, that would be awesome, but let's see how the season turns out. I've been hopeful on the last few seasons, and they didn't turn out so well. This year I'm reserving judgment. As you mention, I am very suspicious of our offensive line. I don't know how we're going to protect Brees up the middle and get a good push for the run game with the personnel we have there.

I think we have solid to very good personnel across the board except offensive line. That weakness looms big. The Saints are a team that relies heavily on the passing game to carry the team. If they can't protect the QB, it won't matter where else the team improved.

6-10 this year and next year the saints are back in the playoffs.

If that's the case, then the rebuild is not over and this team got worse than last year.

6-10 cannot be viewed as a step in the right direction.

I don't understand anything below 7-9. I guess setting the bar low. I don't see this team losing 10 games with this schedule.
I don't understand how, in a league where teams go from worst to contending for divisions in a year, we are somehow a whole year from being good.

It can happen THIS year. With THIS team.

Also, if two of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL means 7-9, what in the world means we do any worse now?

Besides, if this year is a 6-10 and Payton would need to be gone.

Will we be? We will need to re-sign Brees and Armstead, and probably absorb cap hit for Byrd.

We've already resigned Armstead during this offseason. Drew will take up a large % of the cap, but that's much different than dead money going to players that aren't on the roster anymore.

Will we be? We will need to re-sign Brees and Armstead, and probably absorb cap hit for Byrd.

Armstead is already signed. The saints have about 44mil of cap space for next year. Even with Brees new contract and a few other players to sign (Edebali, Snead) we are out of cap hell. Not in cap heaven, but still out of cap hell.

You lost me at "let Unger walk".

He's 30 year old. O-line is a position where that's not "old".
I understand what you're saying, he is currently one of the best players on this team. I'm just not a fan of signing a player on the latter half of his career to a long term deal. That's how you get into the cap trouble.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I understand what you're saying, he is currently one of the best players on this team. I'm just not a fan of signing a player on the latter half of his career to a long term deal. That's how you get into the cap trouble.

That's in the team's best interest. But not in Unger's. Can't make every move where we get the better of players. What impetus will they have to sign if they know we absolutely will discard them the moment we can, and when their on the field play hasn't declined to boot?

That's in the team's best interest. But not in Unger's. Can't make every move where we get the better of players. What impetus will they have to sign if they know we absolutely will discard them the moment we can, and when their on the field play hasn't declined to boot?
Dont get me wrong, i want him back. He understands that this is a business and if he isn't willing to sign a short term extension, I'm sure he will have many other suitors willing to overpay.

Only way this team doesn't go 10-6 or better is a rash of injuries to important players. Defense is looking good. Offensive line is changing to a new coaching style but will do well when it is time to get real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom