Did we really have to give up that much to get the TE? (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Alll those picks make no sense to me. Was this just something they decided to do to get theiir man, or what? Seems to me they could have given up a couple of picks to move up and get him, not 4 picks. Seems a little excessive to me.

I know that we have an extremely talented roster, though. They probably think not many guys could make our roster, so it was worth it giving up this much. I'm just wondering if this was a little excessive, especially since we still have a need at WR and QB.

Can't remember where I read this, but it sounded like the Saints wanted rookies who show an aptitude to be able to manage a workout/practice situation that may be very unlike the way things have been with OTAs and training camp. Apparently this TE checked that box.

Maybe but I look at value. It is very unlikely that a lot of the players that would be drafted after the 3rd or 4th would make the team anyway. In the pasts we had to cut so many players that were later picked up by other teams. Also have to look at the makeup of our rosters? Are there any holes in the roster or players on the brink of getting cut? I like the trade because we didn't have to give up our higher rounds for next year. I take losing our 5th to 7th any year if we can move up to get the best players within the mid rounds.

Alll those picks make no sense to me. Was this just something they decided to do to get theiir man, or what? Seems to me they could have given up a couple of picks to move up and get him, not 4 picks. Seems a little excessive to me.

I know that we have an extremely talented roster, though. They probably think not many guys could make our roster, so it was worth it giving up this much. I'm just wondering if this was a little excessive, especially since we still have a need at WR and QB.

Giving up all those picks to get AT made complete sense to Payton, Loomis and Ireland.

However, it made no sense to David Rollins.

And I’m OK with that.

Maybe but I look at value. It is very unlikely that a lot of the players that would be drafted after the 3rd or 4th would make the team anyway. In the pasts we had to cut so many players that were later picked up by other teams. Also have to look at the makeup of our rosters? Are there any holes in the roster or players on the brink of getting cut? I like the trade because we didn't have to give up our higher rounds for next year. I take losing our 5th to 7th any year if we can move up to get the best players within the mid rounds.
Yep. For this particular team, why draft 6 or 7 guys? Go get the 2 or 3 you know you love and sign UDFAs. Payton annually cuts picks from Rounds 4-7, so this move doesn’t irk me much. It’s the trading of future assets that rubs me the wrong way.

Listen to CSP in his post-draft day 2 presser. Careful consideration was put into the fact that we already have a deep, talented roster with not a lot of openings. This is compounded by the state of the world with COVID limiting, or in our case, eliminating OTAs and offseason team workouts and mini-camps. We went for quality over quantity here and placed a premium on smart, motivated players that are scheme and cultural fits. These players need to be ready for camp in July, and I believe it will be very tough for late round projects to make the roster, given the circumstances from what CSP has said.

You sort of answered your own Question. Given our current team the chances a late round pick would claim a roster spot is slim.

They seemed to have opted for three players they hope will make an instant impact. And, Payton and Loomis don't seem to share the majority opinion that we are QB poor or that we need another WR.

Look at it this way, the fourth round pick was our pick, in other words we swapped our 4th round pick for their third round pick, so it cost us our 5th 6th and 7th round to do so ,

Don’t start with draft trade logic.
There are still those convinced that we gave up 2 firsts to go get Davenport.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom