Did we really have to give up that much to get the TE? (1 Viewer)

Nope. Actually, haven't done that in several years, though ya'll roast me every year. I actually like the picks we made. Just wondering if we gave up a little too much to get the TE.

C'mon DR, you do know that other people have working memories right?

But I welcome this new, calmer, more trusting DR. Plus, most importantly, it means I win the bold draft predictions thread 😎

People are not upset with the pick, they're upset that the draft is unwatchable because there is not a Saints pick to look forward to.

The players they would've drafted in the second half of the draft could've gone on to be good players. Or they could've been Rick Leonard and Natrell Jamerson. Ireland gets a lot of credit for changing our fortunes in the draft and rightfully so, but he does his best work in the first 3 rounds. Just look at his history after the 3rd.

'19

4th, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
6th, Saquan Hampton
7th, Alize Mack
7th, Kaden Elliss

'18

4th, Rick Leonard
5th, Natrell Jamerson
6th, Kamrin Moore
6th, Boston Scott
7th, Will Clapp

'17

6th, Al-Quadin Muhammad

'16

4th, David Onyemata
7th, Daniel Lasco

'15

5th, Davis Tull
5th, Tyeler Davison
5th, Damian Swann
7th, Marcus Murphy

So I guess they weighed the possible risk vs the possible reward and decided those picks weren't as valuable as the player they wanted.

KC just won a Super Bowl, did you see them give up all of their 3rd day picks? No.
Cool, so here's what you can do. Track all of the Chiefs picks, then in September or whenever the season resumes and 53 man rosters are finalized, look at how many of their 3rd day picks make the roster. Or even the practice squad.

Cool, so here's what you can do. Track all of the Chiefs picks, then in September or whenever the season resumes and 53 man rosters are finalized, look at how many of their 3rd day picks make the roster. Or even the practice squad.
I am just saying that there is value in the later rounds. For example, all three of our MLB'ers are coming off of IR, and Minnesota just picked MLB'er Dye out of Oregon. Don't you think we could have used him?

Pick 105 in the 3rd this year was the same exact one (105) we used for CJGJ in the 4th last year. Worked out well last year.

You can't guarantee CGJ in the 4th round every year. Look at the draft history posted above. Any picks past the 2nd round are pretty much so a crap shoot in the draft. I mean, Rick Leonard was pick #127. All those picks are lottery tickets. They are more likely to be guys that don't even make the team than guys that turn into good players. I enjoy the lottery picks. But, that's more about my own entertainment than building a winning football team when you are as talented and deep as this roster is.

I am just saying that there is value in the later rounds. For example, all three of our MLB'ers are coming off of IR, and Minnesota just picked MLB'er Dye out of Oregon. Don't you think we could have used him?

He probably wouldn't have even made it onto our practice squad.

Not a lot of open roster spots on this roster. We should be high on the list of UDFAs thinking they can a Crack a roster spot.

People don't think TE was a need for this team? Cooks is 33 and has a high cap number, behind him we have Josh Hill who is pretty much a blocking tightends that gets dump off passes not really a route runner...Troutman is a complete tightend from a small school that will pay off big in the long run..

Jimmy Graham was a raw prospect and by year two was one of the top young tightends in the league, Troutman will get snaps early alongside Cooks.

Yep. For this particular team, why draft 6 or 7 guys? Go get the 2 or 3 you know you love and sign UDFAs. Payton annually cuts picks from Rounds 4-7, so this move doesn’t irk me much. It’s the trading of future assets that rubs me the wrong way.
I agree with you, at least the 3rd we gave up for nxt year , we get it back with the teddy Bridgewater signing

Maybe but I look at value. It is very unlikely that a lot of the players that would be drafted after the 3rd or 4th would make the team anyway. In the pasts we had to cut so many players that were later picked up by other teams. Also have to look at the makeup of our rosters? Are there any holes in the roster or players on the brink of getting cut? I like the trade because we didn't have to give up our higher rounds for next year. I take losing our 5th to 7th any year if we can move up to get the best players within the mid rounds.

Exactly, why pay for and showcase a player like Boston Scott like last year ,so Philly can just pick him up ready to go for free from us. This happens a lot with our guys and around the league. Why a team like the Pats has like 12 plus picks this year is nutty to me, target 3-4 good ones a year and give the extra picks away.

People are not upset with the pick, they're upset that the draft is unwatchable because there is not a Saints pick to look forward to.

Exactly, basically a form of ultimate "My World" . . most times I don't like the draft is cause I wanted more sexy picks and more time to watch and be excited about it. With the new format the picks fly by so fast and limited info on our pick, so it gives time to read bout the Quality guys we picked up.

Whats the Gladiator guy say - " Do you want to be entertained" ?

Nothing Payton & Loomis do needs to make sense to us. I don’t care how much I agree or disagree with the choices they make. Fact is they know what they’re doing and I have and always will have nothing but 100% faith in what they’re doing.
Who Dat!

Can't remember where I read this, but it sounded like the Saints wanted rookies who show an aptitude to be able to manage a workout/practice situation that may be very unlike the way things have been with OTAs and training camp. Apparently this TE checked that box.
Yep... I posted something similar in another thread... This roster is largely set and LARGELY young... a 6th or 7th is very unlikely to make this team. No OTA's and an intense Training camp awaits... This year i dont see a Colston making the team... Also they drafted Saints type locker room guys... This management team is ahead of the curve this year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom