Did we really have to give up that much to get the TE? (2 Viewers)

Hard to say if it was worth it today, if he pans out and becomes a great tight end for years to come then you will look back and say it was a great trade. I personally think it was not a bad trade, a lot of 6th and 7th round picks don't pan out or end up getting cut

I am good with what the Coach and Mickey Loomis did last night. We got a quality player, ranked much higher than his selection position and we gave up picks that likely would not make this deep team anyway. I may have had a different view if this was a 'normal' offseason, but there will be very limited opportunity for teams to evaluate their selections this year and we are going to see IMO many more cut before veterans who know the systems they are playing in.

The Saints acquired more value than they gave up. But even more, this draft is top heavy. If you need a running back, not much is left. If you need an interior OL, you can forget about it. CB is weak save some of the slot guys like Amik Robertson and Kindle Vildor. Even with all the depth at WR, there is maybe only one or two guys at this stage you can see as a potential starter one day. Suffice it to say, the Saints opted for quality over quantity, especially knowing a lot of the guys they would have picked would not make the team.

Last edited:
We essentially gave up 5,6 and 7 (guys who would most likely be special teamers or cut) to move from 4 to 3 and get a player who will be contributing on day 1 at a position of need and someone who catches the ball. Sounds like we got away with robbery

Think of the draft of a couple of years ago, we got Davenport, TQ Smith and Will Clapp who are still on the team.Rick Leonard is with the texans, Natrell Jamerson with Carolina, Boston Scott with Philadelphia.

We have the talent to find good players at later rounds, but we don't have roster spaces to keep them.

I don't have a problem committing current assets to get a player they really trust. Adam Trautman may be unkown to us because he is coming from a small school, but I think there is a consensus between writers that he is a player worth of a 3rd round pick. Kiper had him as his best available. Others were surprised he was still there.

I think the saints learned their lesson from a couple of years ago and decided not to recruit players for other teams, and go with a bang trying to get talent.

The front office has learned that you draft according the maturity of your roster.

Next year we may be losing some players, so they decided to keep the assets for next year here. True, they committed a third for next year but we are getting one back from Teddy. They were also patient and were comfortable to accept that they were only willing to trade up to some point.

A very interesting draft. One that we can learn more about the team than only the prospects taken.

I don't know, I feel strangely unfulfilled. There's so little anger and invective, no declaration that the season is over before it begins.

I'm hoping this is just a warm up for the real thing.
Nope. Actually, haven't done that in several years, though ya'll roast me every year. I actually like the picks we made. Just wondering if we gave up a little too much to get the TE.

It comes down to quality over quantity. A lot of factors go into these decisions from several threads, so I'll try to summarize.
1. A lot of usually obtainable information about players is missing this year. That is a good reason to play it safe with your draft picks, rather than take a scattershot approach. The likely result is that you take fewer players.
2. The roster is stacked. Take the best players you can find, given limited draft capital, that fill needs or wants.
3. Many believe that this draft is top heavy. That is another reason to trade up. (Please note that I am on record as HATING trading up.)
4. Where are the lower round picks likely to end up, if they even make the roster? The obvious answer: special teams. Well, the Saints special teams, in addition to first rate kickers and a Pro Bowl returner, include Justin Hardee, J. T. Gray, Dwayne Washington, and Craig Robertson among others. Is a lower round pick or UDFA likely to improve upon those players?
5. Speaking of UDFAs, the Saints can now get started on getting their list together. This has always been a chaotic process and is likely to be even crazier under the current circumstances.
6. Drafting interior line means that the Saints gain some trade capital. Another team may want an experienced former pro bowler like Warford or a younger guard like Clapp or Tom, both of whom have significant experience.
7. Drafting Baun was an obviously good idea when you have all pro Davis and a cast of injury prone sidekicks. Everyone called this one.
8. Trautman fills the Dan Arnold spot. Josh Hill is an excellent blocker and sometimes shows up as a receiver. Cook is excellent but is a stopgap.

Still needed: backup QB. My guess--and I am usually wrong in my guesses--is that they will try a UDFA who will fail, so they'll sign a veteran.
Backup OT? I have no idea.
WR--maybe stick with what they have. I haven't given up on TQS yet, but I also thought Nick Toon would be a success. :covri:
CB--a little queasy about the depth on the outside.

We can still move Warford. I rather move him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Yet, I rather trade him for a 2021 pick. Day 3 of this draft is awful. This isn't 2017 with the draft being 5 rounds deep with great talent. There was only 2 1/2 rounds in this draft. We close up shop right at closing time was the best move

Alll those picks make no sense to me. Was this just something they decided to do to get theiir man, or what? Seems to me they could have given up a couple of picks to move up and get him, not 4 picks. Seems a little excessive to me.

I know that we have an extremely talented roster, though. They probably think not many guys could make our roster, so it was worth it giving up this much. I'm just wondering if this was a little excessive, especially since we still have a need at WR and QB.
KC just won a Super Bowl, did you see them give up all of their 3rd day picks? No.

Alll those picks make no sense to me. Was this just something they decided to do to get theiir man, or what? Seems to me they could have given up a couple of picks to move up and get him, not 4 picks. Seems a little excessive to me.

I know that we have an extremely talented roster, though. They probably think not many guys could make our roster, so it was worth it giving up this much. I'm just wondering if this was a little excessive, especially since we still have a need at WR and QB.

Makes no sense even though we won the value of the trade by 9.4 points? What exactly doesn’t make sense?

Steve Korte just said that when Trautmans QB targeted him, his passer rating was 138. 🤔

That means that dude catches literally everything thrown his way.

Trautman might be closest to Colston skill set for the saint offense. Trautman is a little slower a little short on the jump but Trautman has more agility based on cones times.

I'm not sure you understand how trades work. They didn't trade witht he Viking for a TE, they made a trade for the draft selection itself. The picks offered were the amount the Vikings were willing to accept for the trade to go through. Apparently, it's the least the Saints could trade and still make the move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom