Did we shoot ourself in the foot with Warfard? (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
With the comments made by Payton, what would actually be the chance of getting anything for Warford now? Payton has basically shoved him under the proverbial bus with his comments. What is Larry's status with the rest of the league now? Most teams will now most likely feel he will be cut, if Ruiz pans out. Is there any chance we can still get anything of worth for him?

Warford has performed as a Top 10% league wide guard for us. Last year he slipped to about upper 40%. Sean Payton cannot be happy with that. SP also knows this is a contract year for Warford. I don't see us trading Warford with the #1 liability of the Saints winning the SB is the inevitable O-line injuries at the end of the year. With a 40-plus year old Brees, we can't have enough top O-linemen. And what's one of the best ways to get a veteran motivated? Make a public statement that the young kid has a chance to push him for his job. That's pure motivational coaching. The only way we move Warford is if Loomis cannot clear cap elsewhere for the players and rookies needing to be signed to contracts

Yea it was a tad confusing knowing that Warford was just recently a Pro Bowler and one of the best on our line to being in this situation. It makes me want to go back to film and find what I missed. I always thought highly of him.

I think NO keeps Warford. He is more valuable to the Saints than anything they can get on the Market. If he becomes a rotational player it's good to know that N.O has multi time Probowler that can provide a breather or fill in for an injury. I think he just wore down at the end of the year last year and with him being a rotational player he will stay fresh.

Last edited:
I may be the only one expecting Warford to start or at least to compete for the starting job.

He is a veteran pro-bowler entering the last year of his contract, I would not be surprised at all if he beats McCoy for the starting job.

what would be the cap hit if we end up just cutting him? Not suggesting that now.

What exactly did Sean Payton say about Warford?

And we would we want or need to trade him? I mean for the right price, almost everybody is available.
But our cap is pretty set, our roster is pretty set, so we don't need to free up money.

Also, there won't be any offseason program to get Ruiz up to speed or McCoy accustomed to right guard.
Warford wasn't terrible last year, but obviously we felt he could be upgraded. But that doesn't mean we
to part ways with him this season. Whether he starts or not, having him on our team gives us very good
depth on our IOL. Almost an embarrassment of riches at the position to be honest.

You can bet he is a cut at that figure. We shot ourselves in the foot with the contract to begin with. But there is no way to know if a guy will stay healthy and stay motivated once they have gotten paid. That happens all the time.

i don’t think we were going to fool anyone in to thinking we think he is worth the money but we are willing to part with him for their sake. His trade value has always been rather low at that figure IMO. If it was mid season and teams were banged up it might be Different.

With the comments made by Payton, what would actually be the chance of getting anything for Warford now? Payton has basically shoved him under the proverbial bus with his comments. What is Larry's status with the rest of the league now? Most teams will now most likely feel he will be cut, if Ruiz pans out. Is there any chance we can still get anything of worth for him?

Nah, if anything Warfords value will shoot up once there is an injury to someones starter in Training Camp. By then the Saints will have figured out if Ruiz/McCoy are going to leapfrog him and can move on him with the proper value presents itself.

I think that it may actually help. If Warford is on the trade block for some undisclosed reason, teams may think that it is due to either ongoing injury concerns or production. If it was his conditioning...and he is now better conditioned, there's reason to think that he could be a rebound candidate. He's still a rather young guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom