Did you guys see what happened in the NHL Tonight (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Their was an incident tonight where a Florida Panthers hockey player Richard Zednick got his jugular vein slashed during a game and blood was flowing out all over the ice as a result. They just showed it on ESPN and my God it looked bad. The guy was rushed to a local Buffalo hospital and is in stable condition but man that was a scary thing to have happen.

I also think they should have stopped the game too. Its not fair to both sides or the team that the player played for to keep on playing when he could have easily been killed by the blow.

I mean having a jugular vein in your neck slashed by a skate is not something to see or to survive easily. In fact in Buffalo the whole crowd looked terrified for the guy's health and in fact cheered when it was told he was in stable condition.

Scary stuff indeed

Yeah, same thing happened to the Buffalo goalie back in 1989. In fact, it was the same team trainer that helped out both players.

Neck protection is optional in the NHL, and this incident will not likely change that.

Should the NFL or NCAA stop a game because someone gets a spinal injury?

I do not have the perfect answer for that question, Saint. But if their was one incident that I think applies to your question to me, its the Darryl Stingley incident in 1978 where Jack Tatum paralyzed the man permanently and lead to some people thinking John Madden retiring from the Raiders. Tatum never was the same after that hit. He never hit the people the same way or played in that reckless of a style. Madden was reportedly furious with the Patriots not showing more compassion or concern about their teammate almost being killed and now was paralyzed.

If its just a pre-season game and not that important of a game, then why not cancel it?

Those players will be much more concerned for the spinal cord player then the game in most cases, Meaux.
Zednick could have been killed tonight, it was there severe of an injury

Agreed, it could have been fatal. I'm not trying to downplay that fact, but at the same time, what can the other players do? Zednik, if asked, more than likely would have told them to keep playing.

In the grand scheme of things, a game is much less important than the health of a player or players,for example, the Eagles pre-season game that was cancelled a few years ago due to bad turf. The game could also be a diversion. Players have to trust that he is getting the finest medical care that Buffalo can offer (they do have experience in this case).

NFL and NHL history is riddled with examples of why some people would never choose to sacrifice their body to play the game they love (and a pretty decent paycheck for today's players). I'm sure that once Zednik is out of a hospital bed, he will be bugging anybody who will listen, asking to get back out on the ice.

Last edited:
Again?
sheesh.

That's so weird. I was just reading/seeing about the Buffalo incident last week for my EMT class and wondering when that sort of thing would happen again. Watching the video of it on YouTube was like something out of Kill Bill.

I remember the Malarchuk incident when it happened. Scary stuff, strange it happened in Buffalo as well. There were multiple reports of people having Heart Attacks in the stands when it happened.

Here is an article from the Toronto Star a while back documenting the 10 most horrifying, non-fatal incidents in hockey.

Be warned, it contains a not so pretty picture of Borje Salming that I recall graced the front page of the Toronto Sun the day after it happened.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NHL/article/271006

Thank God Zednik's OK.

Stopping the game does absolutely nothing for the health of the injured player.

In fact, carrying on through adversity is one of the important lessons of team sports.

Its not very inspirational to visit the injured guy in the hospital after he pulls through and tell him his team quit playing to sit around in the hospital worrying.

Maybe we can give Belicheck a white flag with red cross on it so he can challenge the refs decision to continue the game after an apparent serious injury.

We can have an entirely new replay system with doctors and an MRI machine on the field.

1800112776p.jpg

They said that they only continued the game when they received word that he was in stable condition and both teams agreed to continue playing.

The only issue would be if the teams were forced to play even though they all wanted too because they were too distraught to play. If the teams and coaches were fine, then I don't see an issue at all.

Thankfully it appears he's going to be ok.. man that was horrible.

.......and he skated off. I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but I am sure that Zednik wanted the game to continue. Stopping the game does nothing for his health.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom