Didn’t see a thread...anyone watching Tehran? (1 Viewer)

It's difficult and challenging to feel a great deal of sympathy for some Iranians, and in the case of their clerical hardliner government, I have none at all. They turned a once-prosperous country with a proud, ancient heritage dating back to Cyrus the Great, Darius, and the Persian Empire and sure, they had a repressive, tyrannical dictator in the Shah but my God, does that justify turning your country into a medieval, Islamic theocracy that turned into this international image of Iran and Iranians as medieval, illogical, irrational, misogynist bigots who hates Jews and Isreal too, have a former president who questioned the Holocaust's legitimacy and say homosexuals don't exist in Iran "anymore".

Operation Ajax or any 1953 US-UK CIA-MI6 coup asides, is that enough of a reason to exchange a secular, tyrannical ruler for a fanatical, unelected Shiite Supreme Council reverting Iran back to the 16th century and who's founding father. Ayotollah Khomeini, once labeled economics to the "studying of donkeys".

I know the Iranian government or its state-run media services weren't too happy with the show's plot, its protagonist/antagonistic characters, story arcs and how Season One ended.

It's difficult and challenging to feel a great deal of sympathy for some Iranians, and in the case of their clerical hardliner government, I have none at all. They turned a once-prosperous country with a proud, ancient heritage dating back to Cyrus the Great, Darius, and the Persian Empire and sure, they had a repressive, tyrannical dictator in the Shah but my God, does that justify turning your country into a medieval, Islamic theocracy that turned into this international image of Iran and Iranians as medieval, illogical, irrational, misogynist bigots who hates Jews and Isreal too, have a former president who questioned the Holocaust's legitimacy and say homosexuals don't exist in Iran "anymore".

Operation Ajax or any 1953 US-UK CIA-MI6 coup asides, is that enough of a reason to exchange a secular, tyrannical ruler for a fanatical, unelected Shiite Supreme Council reverting Iran back to the 16th century and who's founding father. Ayotollah Khomeini, once labeled economics to the "studying of donkeys".

I know the Iranian government or its state-run media services weren't too happy with the show's plot, its protagonist/antagonistic characters, story arcs and how Season One ended.
You’re way more educated on the subject than I am. I should say I felt for the main Iranian fella, who’s supposed to be the antagonist I’d guess. Enjoyed seeing his interactions with his wife, and feel he’s doing what he believes in.
I wasn’t trying to suggest anything other than that, as I left this place over politics and don’t want to go back down that road with people I only know online.

I just love the show, have no idea about the history of Israel or Iran and not picking sides. 😊

You’re way more educated on the subject than I am. I should say I felt for the main Iranian fella, who’s supposed to be the antagonist I’d guess. Enjoyed seeing his interactions with his wife, and feel he’s doing what he believes in.
I wasn’t trying to suggest anything other than that, as I left this place over politics and don’t want to go back down that road with people I only know online.

I just love the show, have no idea about the history of Israel or Iran and not picking sides. 😊
Its okay, I saw some early trailer previews a few weeks before it began airing on Apple TV streaming service since I own it myself. It has a very "Homeland" aura, attention to details, suspenseful and anxiety expressions usually associated with high-stakes, espionage spy thrillers.

. There was a show several years ago thats SORT of similar to this show's plot and moral relativistic characters--2017 adaptation of John Le Clare Little Drummer Girl thats about a radical mid-70s British actress who's sort of blackmailed or forced by CIA/MI6 to infiltrate some radical Palestinian terrorist group(maybe based upon the Black September faction) and their West German, supposedly, contacts that may have been inspired or amalgamated from radical, anarchist West German revolutionary groups LZ, Rote Wehr Fronte or the Baader-Meinhof Gang.

. They were sort of West Germany's version of the Weather Underground of 1970s and early 80s except more prolific, dangerous, effective, and executed more precise bombings and terror attacks against US Army troops stationed in West Germany, Army barracks, targeted and tried to assassinate high-ranking US/NATO generals, including acting NATO general General Haig by planting an explosive under a bridge he drove over every day on his way to work every morning IIRC, in 1978. They actually posed a real, distinct existential threat to internal security and safety of West German state numerous times during the 1970s and some of their operatives, members received training, operational and tactical support as well as intelligence reports from East Germany's dreaded, omnipresent Stasi secret police and even helped some evade capture and were protected by GDR until Berlin Wall fell down and essentially East Germany's existence was irrevocably compromised and destroyed.

Its okay, I saw some early trailer previews a few weeks before it began airing on Apple TV streaming service since I own it myself. It has a very "Homeland" aura, attention to details, suspenseful and anxiety expressions usually associated with high-stakes, espionage spy thrillers.

. There was a show several years ago thats SORT of similar to this show's plot and moral relativistic characters--2017 adaptation of John Le Clare Little Drummer Girl thats about a radical mid-70s British actress who's sort of blackmailed or forced by CIA/MI6 to infiltrate some radical Palestinian terrorist group(maybe based upon the Black September faction) and their West German, supposedly, contacts that may have been inspired or amalgamated from radical, anarchist West German revolutionary groups LZ, Rote Wehr Fronte or the Baader-Meinhof Gang.

. They were sort of West Germany's version of the Weather Underground of 1970s and early 80s except more prolific, dangerous, effective, and executed more precise bombings and terror attacks against US Army troops stationed in West Germany, Army barracks, targeted and tried to assassinate high-ranking US/NATO generals, including acting NATO general General Haig by planting an explosive under a bridge he drove over every day on his way to work every morning IIRC, in 1978. They actually posed a real, distinct existential threat to internal security and safety of West German state numerous times during the 1970s and some of their operatives, members received training, operational and tactical support as well as intelligence reports from East Germany's dreaded, omnipresent Stasi secret police and even helped some evade capture and were protected by GDR until Berlin Wall fell down and essentially East Germany's existence was irrevocably compromised and destroyed.
My daughter loved Homeland and spoke of it often, I’ll try that out.
Thing is, I usually loathe spy drama stuff. Very shocked that I fell in love with Tehran. Loved the main female lead, the male lead from Iran and the music.

I’ll check out Little Drummer Girl too. Ty for the heads up.

I've been looking for some way to use my free AppleTV year so I will check it out

It’s a 10 for me Zack. And yea, I got the free year when I bought my IPad Pro. I’ve only watched two shows on it, Greyhound and Tehran.

I think Iranians are beautiful people. I have several friends and neighbors from there. Pretty normal people tbh. One thing I have noticed though is they loathe what the religious leaders and government has done to their country. It's a fairly common thread in the ones I've befriended. Good people, screwed up government.

I think Iranians are beautiful people. I have several friends and neighbors from there. Pretty normal people tbh. One thing I have noticed though is they loathe what the religious leaders and government has done to their country. It's a fairly common thread in the ones I've befriended. Good people, screwed up government.

That sounds familiar. Govt. sucks.
I don’t know any Iranians but I won’t hate a group of folks just because I’m told to.

Last edited:
It’s in the list. Haven’t yet, but if it’s similar to this then I’ll be trying it soon.
It’s almost a ‘both sides’ look at mossad v hammas
As the series goes along it leans more to Israel (and nonsensical love drama) but 1st season was outstanding - second season too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom