Difference between clip/magazine/cartridge (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I've seen several posts on the topic of clips, mags and such. Forgive my ignorance, but after reading Wiki, I'm still not quite clear on what the differences are. There are several feeder systems I've seen, i.e. drums, which are often associated with the well known Tommy gun, bloc clips, stripper (well, that's what it's called, heh) clips among others.

I always assumed clips were attachable/removable while magazines were self contained, but after some reading, that apparently is not the correct assumption.

Can someone clear this up for me?

saintyclaus

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So, I've seen several posts on the topic of clips, mags and such. Forgive my ignorance, but after reading Wiki, I'm still not quite clear on what the differences are. There are several feeder systems I've seen, i.e. drums, which are often associated with the well known Tommy gun, bloc clips, stripper (well, that's what it's called, heh) clips among others.

I always assumed clips were attachable/removable while magazines were self contained, but after some reading, that apparently is not the correct assumption.

Can someone clear this up for me?
Simplistically, clips will be used to feed or help load a magazine. A magazine can be fixed or detachable. The magazine loads the round into the chamber of the firearm. Some guns like a garand, will use a clip that is placed inside of a magazine and is ejected after it's emptied.

If you want more examples just watch this guy.
Magazine vs Clip - YouTube

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
Nearly every firearm has a magazine. Detachable or non detachable. A clip is often used to load ammo into a a non detachable magazine. In firearms used from post WW1, through WW2, into Korea, Clips were used fairly commonly. They were called Strip Clips, or, nicknamed stripper clips. Common vernacular is to call everything a clip. This is incorrect.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AF21sihEgOU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Yatman

threadkiller
Reaction score
Some dreaded AR-15 components...

top left: ten .223 caliber (5.56mm) cartridges (aka "rounds") in stripper clip

top right: stripper clip guide (aids loading cartridges from clip into magazine)

bottom: 30-round magazine

Attachments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom