Difference between Fathers Day and Mother's day (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting article from the Washington Post
====================================================

It’s your day, Dad!

Well, technically, Sunday is your day. It’s also the day “Game of Thrones” airs so, well. . . You understand if we make this quick, right?

Anyway. We stopped at the drugstore two minutes before we got here, and we just couldn’t find a card that could express everything we want to say.

Yes, we did wait too long to buy one. Mom was right. It was the dregs, basically.

So, here’s a card with a poop emoji on it. Happy Father’s Day!

For evidence of the truly awkward relationship we have with our fathers, just visit a greeting card aisle in June, when the heartfelt messages we send Mom have vanished, replaced by Dad Cards.

Dad Cards are like dads themselves. Entertaining. Short on words. Scatological. And maybe a little emotionally stunted.

“You are a hard worker,” they say.

Thank you for mowing the lawn and changing the lightbulbs all these years.

Can I get a fist bump?

Go on, Dad. Take your pick. But what you’re not going to get on Father’s Day is a flowery pronouncement of love.

“Obviously we’re talking about cliches and stereotypes, because that’s where we find humor,” explains Duncan Mitchell, co-founder of Someecards, an online greeting card and humor site. So on Father’s Day, we recognize Dad as “the lumbering oaf, the person who gets things wrong, the person who doesn’t know how things work.”

A lot of these tropes “aren’t even true anymore,” Mitchell concedes, “but they still resonate.”

In the greeting card industry, there’s a fine line between funny and cruel, says Mitchell. We would never mock Mom’s weight.

Dad’s? Heck, yeah....................................

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...b1178c-33bf-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html

Meh.. I never buy my father a card, he doesn't want cards. I buy him something I think he'll genuinely like or nothing. He doesn't want mindless crap and buys most things he wants when he realizes he wants it. If nothing else I'll take him for some crawfish and a few beers. He appreciates that.

As a mom, I prefer Father's Day, and here's why: on Mother's Day we met the kids at a restaurant and fought the crowds. On Father's Day, the kids come over and spend the afternoon, I cook a lot of stuff and my son-in-law grills steaks.

Hope all the dads on SR had a great Father's Day like we did!!

Difference between Mother's Day and Father's Day...?

They wouldn't dare start a conference on Mother's Day. Yet, here I am stuck out of town with a bunch of people I've never met before... :rant:

Do fathers really care about fathers day?

I don't. Although I use it as an excuse to sit around and do nothing (except coach my son's baseball team) and bake a prime rib

Do fathers really care about fathers day?

I don't. Although I use it as an excuse to sit around and do nothing (except coach my son's baseball team) and bake a prime rib

My wife got mad because she was going to invite some people over for dinner. I was like as long as they are out the door by 6 so I can watch game of thrones. She got mad. I ended up with a rotisserie chicken and no company, which in all honesty is perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my world there is a big difference. On Mother's day, I made breakfast in bed for the wife. Handed her a bunch of DVDs to watch all day and she got to do whatever she wanted all day long. I cooked all 3 meals, cleaned the house with my 2 sons, and basically let her have a quiet relaxing day.

On Father's day, I was guilted into going over to my Grandmother in law's house to dig a trench for her gutter drainage system for 4 hours. After that, I had to go to my niece's birthday party that isn't for another 2 weeks, but they thought it would be more convenient to have it on Father's day since everyone would be there, so I spent my Father's day digging a ditch and watching a pre-teen open presents.

Yay.

Let us not forget Facebook on Mothers Day:

"Happy Mothers Day to all you fantastic Mom's out there!"

Father's Day:

"Happy Father's Day to all the Dads and all the Mom's pulling double duty!" :jpshakehead:

One year for some odd reason my son was in school at Father's Day. It was 13 years ago and for the life of me I can't remember why they were in school still. Anyway, for Mother's Day they did three pretty big art projects. For Father's Day nothing, nada, zip. I honestly didn't notice but my wife was upset about it and asked the school what why (she's very involved in the schools). She was told it would hurt the feelings of the kids who didn't have fathers in their lives.

So yeah, there's a big difference. I don't much care because my family values me as much as my wife but there is definitely a pretty big difference in how the two are handled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom