Difference between JW and DB (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Well those complaining about Drew’s arm strength.....this should be interesting.

I for one put arm strength about 6th on the list of QB skills.....behind accuracy, comprehension of all routes and blocking assignments simultaneously, quick release, mobility to subtlely adjust in pocket, quick decision maker, ....then arm strength.

Strong armed QBs that never made it are plentiful.

Fortunately, JW is accurate, the INTs came from forcing it when a WR wasn’t open (decision making).....or rushed throws.

This was evident last week as he moved between the 20’s well.....but in the red zone everything speeds up, decision making has to be elite and quick, and identifying the defense (which is trying to fool you) into what’s the best read pre snap, and if that’s not open, exactly where reads 2-3-4 are located at any moment.

Drew knows this like the back of his hand. JW does not.

And it showed.

Now with a week of Sean’s 100% focused coaching, hopefully he’ll pick up some things.

He has some of the skills (including the previous strong arm)....but can he access the other skills we take for granted with #9.

Well those complaining about Drew’s arm strength.....this should be interesting.

I for one put arm strength about 6th on the list of QB skills.....behind accuracy, comprehension of all routes and blocking assignments simultaneously, quick release, mobility to subtlely adjust in pocket, quick decision maker, ....then arm strength.

Fortunately, JW is accurate, the INTs came from forcing it when a WR wasn’t open (decision making).....or rushed throws.

This was evident last week as he moved between the 20’s well.....but in the red zone everything speeds up, decision making has to be elite and quick, and identifying the defense (which is trying to fool you) into what’s the best read pre snap, and if that’s not open, exactly where reads 2-3-4 are located at any moment.

And it showed.

Now with a week of Sean’s 100% focused coaching, hopefully he’ll pick up some things.

He has some of the skills (including the previous strong arm)....but can he access the other skills we take for granted with #9.

I agree. Accuracy isn't Winston's problem. It has been about trying to force the ball in to tight windows and misreading coverage. But with all that said...he has not been in an ideal offense...as Ariens is notorious for his aggressiveness. Payton is much more conservative, which should allow Winston to tone it down a bit. But his actually passer skills are exceptional. He truly throws one of the nicer balls in the NFL.

Jamies 4 yrs with The Bucs

*4 OCs
*3 Head Coaches
*Pour OLine play
*Bad defenses always playing from behind
*No run game
*Personal issues going on off the field
*Never a veteran QB to work with

Here is whats changed

*Consistency in coaching at every level
*Protection....an average of 3 more seconds in the pocket
*Does not need to throw the ball 35 times a game in this offense
*Solid run game
*2 running backs that you can check down too
*Drew Brees
*Seems to be living a better life. Father, husband, a servant to his teammates
*Defense is getting offenses off the field, getting the ball back to the offense.

This is a moment in Winston's career much like Bridgewater's where he says "I want to keep playing football at a high level and I want a chance to start in this league again"

Here is his chance.

Remember how bad Tannehill was in Miami?? Just saying...

The only thing that worries me about Winston are decision making and that he often throws the ball too high. The latter is tied to footwork. The former could be confidence or lack of understanding the offense. Extra work in practice should help both.

Jameis has all the arm talent in the world... his only problem has been decision-making. He got away with bad decisions alot... his arm talent helped him complete some passes that maybe should have been intercepted. But his arm talent allowed those passes to get there.

Maybe that was coaching that made him a sort of "gun-slinger"... but if he could marry better decision-making with that arm talent he could be a helluva QB.

I think Payton will play it safe with Jameis this first game I don't think he'll be slinging it all over the yard this week. If JW had a full offseason with OTAs and training camp I could see Payton cutting JW loose, but I can see a conservative gameplan this week and let JW drive the bus.

And it showed.

Nice post and agreed. I've been thinking about this as well, maybe we will see if the deep ball comes back into play in the Saints offense with Winston. Because if we can hit a few of those, with our running game? Game over....

On the flip side I just hope Winston plays minimal mistake football and makes enough plays to win....

From a non-athletic standpoint, there is a huge difference in leadership skills. While Brees is always humble and respectful, Winston photobombs an interview and picks TB from his teeth when he didn't even play in the game. Hope this don't come back an haunt us if he has to face TB in the playoffs.

From a non-athletic standpoint, there is a huge difference in leadership skills. While Brees is always humble and respectful, Winston photobombs an interview and picks TB from his teeth when he didn't even play in the game. Hope this don't come back an haunt us if he has to face TB in the playoffs.

Really? I guess Cam, Demario, Kamara, Moorestead, etc. lack leadership skills as well because each those men have photobombed Drew during his interviews. Jameis was doing the same thing every member of our team was after a blow out- celebrating. He may have not playe a lot on the field, but you’d better believe that his insight into Arian’s system (from a QB’s perspective) helped the team blow out Tampa in both of our meetings.

I recognize Jameis has a shady past, but from all reports he is legitimately a new man. He is doing the work. You have to give people the space to grow and mature when they are truly working toward that end. Jeez.

All of the above is accurate. One other major factor is the ball won’t come out of his hands as fast so expect more frequent blitzes from opponents leading to more sacks.

Some of you people are really sad. lol

For the record, Winston did play in that game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom