Different 10 Second Runnoff Question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I had the Colts Charger game on last night. Close to the end of regulation(<2:00), the Colts had a run similar to ours, close to if not a first down. Colts go to the line and the refs stop and review the play. I don't remember the result, but they did not run 10 seconds off the clock. Why did they not run off for them when they did for us?

I had the Colts Charger game on last night. Close to the end of regulation(<2:00), the Colts had a run similar to ours, close to if not a first down. Colts go to the line and the refs stop and review the play. I don't remember the result, but they did not run 10 seconds off the clock. Why did they not run off for them when they did for us?
Sounds like they stopped it right as the new play was beginning- this the theoretical 10 seconds had already elapsed
The problem in our game is that they both let us get to the line (whatever amount of time that took) AND added/subtracted the 10 seconds- it should have been one of the other

Did the play go out of bounds? ETA:. It didn't go out of bounds. Here is he play-by-play:

Screenshot_20190912-065004.png

Last edited:

The runoff rule happens when the clock is stopped for a review that "reverses the call to a running clock" - it's basically supposed to account for how long it takes to get the ball reset and the offense lined up had the clock been running all along . . . rather than having been stopped for review or stopped on an error by the refs. In the Chargers game, the review didn't reverse the call.

Pat Kirwan said Tuesday that the rule still needs to be tweaked, it was supposed to make it so that the offense doesn't benefit from the review by getting additional time they wouldn't have had . . . but he thinks that in some situations, it actually penalizes the offense because many offenses and get lined up and clock the ball more quickly than 10 seconds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom