Different Perspective on the Tampa Game (1 Viewer)

There were multiple plays where a lb is covering either Henderson or Colston and that is a mismatch all day long. I'm not sure why this happened multiple times. Any thoughts on why that was happening?- JAY FOSTER

Yes, teams have no way of covering all of our weapons and they are FORCED to place a LB or FS/SS on one, which is going to end up in a mis-match. Unless they play 6 DB's, they cant match up. And if they do play 6 DB's, watch what Deuce does. Man this is great. Never thought I would be talking about the opposions inability to cover ALL of our weapons!

I'm going to go back and look at that. This may be the answer as to why they were doing that. As Jaworski says, it is all about creating mis-matches and this is lot of fun watching it. :a_smil09:

Great insight, Jay. I agree all the posts on Reggie are ridiculous.

People need to take a look at how our last high draft pick (Sullivan) panned out and compare that to Reggie. At least he's on the field and making a difference. If you tell me Reggie will rush for -11 yards and we'll walk away with a win, I'll take it every time.

Good observations, Jay.
The best thing I heard was the running backs coach talking about how Reggie was the first person in on Mon (their off day) to look at film. That shows that he wants to be great. We just have to be patient, it will happen.

Like most, I'd love to see him take what's there. But, other than maybe 1 cutback lane, it wouldn't have mattered much. Instead of having -11, he might have had +5 yds. There simply wasn't any running room.

I went to the Tampa game and when I got back, I was curious as to why we had all these threads about us either abandoning the run or our running backs not running well.

Here is why: ...

Interestingly enough, all of us wanna be coaches (including myself) can say what we want. The Coach, however, seems to like what they are doing and he keeps winning. For me, after the misery of the last year, that is all that matters. :9:

Excellent, intelligent, insightful post.

jay thanks for the great post, for any true saints fan to be so critical of Reggie is a real kick in the teeth, to the saints, the real saint fans, and to football, i say to all of you to get a life, and find another team to pull for,

This post and thread brings me back to old days of the Super Forum. The bottom line is that the team is 6-2. They must be doing something right.

I went to the Tampa game and when I got back, I was curious as to why we had all these threads about us either abandoning the run or our running backs not running well.

Here is why:

I sat up top where you can clearly see the entire field. Much of the day, there were 7 or 8 people in the "box." On two plays there were actually 9 (that is correct, not a typo) people in the box. Even when there were only 7 in the box, we noticed the safety cheating up towards the line of scrimmage to stop the run as the ball was snapped or even cheating up just prior to the snap. In my section, we were surrounded by Saints fans and most of us were seeing the same thing.

We also saw how the defense was absolutely all over Reggie everywhere he went on the field. He was being used as a great decoy (this is why that reverse worked in Atlanta as well).

This is why we were all wanting them to throw and this is what they did. It certainly seemed better than just beating your head against the wall as we would have done in the past (although we did run it around 30 times).

Then, after reading some of the threads, I turned on the dvr and watched the game. There was one play where Reggie may have cut it back up through the hole. This one play apparently caused a rash of posts about the East-West v. North-South comments. And later, when one of the announcers tried to say the same thing again, the play-by-play guy pointed out that a block was missed.

I have yet to figure out how one play turns into a gazillion threads about how the guy cannot run or how we abandoned the running game especially when we ran it around 30 times.

I did notice in another thread that at 12:51 of the 3rd quarter the rb supposedly did something wrong (I think that is what is being said) but if you take a look at the play 90 is unblocked so the rb gets smacked.

Take a look at 6:27 to go in the first quarter, you will see the missed block on 97 and the comment from the announcer was "get up the field." I'm not sure where you would get up the field to when that happens.

Take a look also at 5:46, play action Reggie, the cb bites on it, leaving the tight end going down the field. This causes the safety to run towards that side of the field. 2 lbs also bite on it. Result: Henderson wide open because you had a lb on him who did not chip him and who certainly cannot cover him.

1:34: play action, cb on Colston bites on play action. Result: Colston completion.

There is a bunch more, but if you watch it (and yes, I know we don't get the coaches tape) in slow motion (it takes forever this way) you should get a different perspective.

Interestingly enough, all of us wanna be coaches (including myself) can say what we want. The Coach, however, seems to like what they are doing and he keeps winning. For me, after the misery of the last year, that is all that matters. :9:

One other thing that you might notice that I found interesting: TB did not respect our WRs. There were multiple plays where a lb is covering either Henderson or Colston and that is a mismatch all day long. I'm not sure why this happened multiple times. Any thoughts on why that was happening?

One of the best posts ever Jay....... great insight

Bump. :D :)

I have yet to figure out how one play turns into a gazillion threads about how the guy cannot run or how we abandoned the running game especially when we ran it around 30 times.

What you missed by not being on your couch was tony siragusa screaming at reggie to turn upfield. While I agree with him to some extent, I don't think fans understand that even turning upfield would have netted reggie pretty much the same result. I kinda like that Reggie was trying to give himself the opportunity to break contain. Note that all of that goes out the window, reggie is a determined strainght ahead runner on third down, in receiving and rushing.

To the point, siragusa was giving reggie a ton of grief on thhe telecast. And unfortunately a lot of fans are more prone to listen to a future hof running back like siragusa than the saints head coach.

An observation I have made during some of the past games is exactly what is discussed here. Defenses are obviously loading up on Reggie and making him beat them. Conversely, when Deuce is in, we call more straight up plays and the "D" seems not to be always run blitzing as much.

Overall, I am glad the Ravens pressed us so hard. The Tampa game showed that the Buc's coaches tried to reproduce the same aggressive defense and the same game shows that the Saint's coaches made the adjustments on how to take advantage of a loaded up line or run blitz.

I think we can beat the Steelers the same way. Adjust to what their defense dictates. Defensively, I have full faith in our linebacking corps to control this game enough to allow our DB's to match up with the Steeler's WR's.

This is a great post as said many times!
I would like to say that i'd rather Reggie do his little dances than take the 2-3 yards.
We selected him in the draft knowing he was a dancer, So y do we want to change that. He is not a pounder. He will get his Yards in due time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom