NFL Draft Different perspective on Trey Lance. (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve said before how I would completely pass on Trey Lance because of the school he went to and only one full season as a starter. But I was really looking through a Drew Brees lens when I should have been looking through a Taysom Hill lens.

Sean Payton is not as interested in a pocket passer anymore. He will go with that if he has to, but it’s clear he has ideas about creating mismatches in the run game with an extra blocker and his QB. And then leveraging that for the pass game. Sean Payton is a master chef who needs to be in the kitchen cooking and not just managing his Michelin star establishment.

Trey Lance has a stronger arm and much better deep accuracy than Taysom Hill. Is maybe a hair slower than Hill. And not as bruising of a runner. The jury is out on his decision making in the pass game because again only one year and not much to evaluate with lesser competition.

I have to bring up Carson Wentz. He has lost anything that he has gained in the past couple of years. And coming from the same program can these guys elevate to an NFL level? And if you tell me they’re different people then you can’t say anything about Justin Fields and Ohio State quarterbacks not making it in the NFL.

So would I take a late first round pick on a super athletic QB who could be a threat in the run game and throw it over every defender, but is really unproven?

Yeah, I would because that’s what you do to get the QB of the future.

I do see Trey Lance falling to 4th QB, but he's probably still a top 12-15 pick.

SP doesn’t want just any QB that is mobile. He wants the one that he already has. The one that can learn things on the fly, can run faster than anyone on opposing defenses, can truck guys, and one that is a total team player first. These types of guys do not come around often. Heck, I would say that they have rarely existed in the past few decades. Players these days will fight tooth and nails to play the positions they want to (Lamar Jackson, etc). TH7 is a selfless person that will do whatever he is asked to do. It’s a priceless trait for a football player. Dude has played how many positions, waited for his moment with no complaints, continues to believe in himself, and does everything with a smile. Even if he doesn’t become our QB for the next 5-7 years, we have our guy right now. SP knows he can win with Taysom. Everything is lining up perfectly. Drew will retire after this year, Taysom will be the starter next year, Winston should resign with us (his stock is the same as this past offseason), and we could use our high draft picks on players that can fill other spots if we are to lose some others, or just get more weapons.

SP doesn’t want just any QB that is mobile. He wants the one that he already has. The one that can learn things on the fly, can run faster than anyone on opposing defenses, can truck guys, and one that is a total team player first. These types of guys do not come around often. Heck, I would say that they have rarely existed in the past few decades. Players these days will fight tooth and nails to play the positions they want to (Lamar Jackson, etc). TH7 is a selfless person that will do whatever he is asked to do. It’s a priceless trait for a football player. Dude has played how many positions, waited for his moment with no complaints, continues to believe in himself, and does everything with a smile. Even if he doesn’t become our QB for the next 5-7 years, we have our guy right now. SP knows he can win with Taysom. Everything is lining up perfectly. Drew will retire after this year, Taysom will be the starter next year, Winston should resign with us (his stock is the same as this past offseason), and we could use our high draft picks on players that can fill other spots if we are to lose some others, or just get more weapons.
I agree 100% But you must prepare for injuries with Taysom. And he’s 30. Lance could have a role in the offense like Taysom has a role when Brees is the starter. Some guys don’t do well on the bench. The wild horses types need to be out there flying around making plays and screaming when they do.

Man... These cults come in all shapes and form.

2 games and he's already the guy.

Man... These cults come in all shapes and form.

2 games and he's already the guy.
True, but I will gladly be in the cult of a QB that wins games. I don’t care how pretty or ugly the wins are. I like the idea of having a QB that strikes fear into their opponents and beats/wears them down. Like Clubber Lang once said “PAIN”!!!
1607119590491.gif

Payton is going to go with a veteran at QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom