Difficulty Run Blocking? (1 Viewer)

SLAPNUTS

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have always heard that Run Blocking is by far easier to do than Pass Blocking. The experts make it seem that every NFL lineman can Run Block to one degree or other, just the one's who can ALSO Pass Block are the one's that start.
So, why the discrepency with our O-Line?
I can understand that we are playing some good defensive teams....but it doesn't make sense to me that we can pass at will, but can't run at all.
I realize that D. Breeze is getting the ball out fast, and I know that Reggie is having trouble waiting for his blocks and finding the lane....but our running game has become a whisper.
Someone please enlighten me.

I just think we need to run the ball more with Deuce to be effective. I also think that Reggie would be a very nice compliment to Deuce especially after Deuce has had the chance to wear defenses down. However, when Brees is as sharp as he was today there is not much need to run the ball a lot.

Like I said in another post Tampa had 8 men in the box and at one point 9 .That is very hard to run against.This was the same thing against the Ravens. Don't panic these hard nose D's we been playing live and die by pressure on the offense.You will see the same amount of people in the box against the steelers.We probably won't have no more than 50 yards rushing next week but there secondary is very vulnerable.Look for another aerial assault.

we just dont have the talent on the o-line to go man on man and beat people and push them off of the line. they are doing fantastic for their skill level and are over-achieving and I think it is wonderful. But ask yourself this. If in June or so of this year, you would know that we would have a starting line of Strief, Nesbit, Faine, Evans, Stinchcomb; you would think we are doomed, right?

Kudos to the coaches for getting our O-line to be good in any phase of the game.

I have always heard that Run Blocking is by far easier to do than Pass Blocking. The experts make it seem that every NFL lineman can Run Block to one degree or other, just the one's who can ALSO Pass Block are the one's that start.
So, why the discrepency with our O-Line?
I can understand that we are playing some good defensive teams....but it doesn't make sense to me that we can pass at will, but can't run at all.
I realize that D. Breeze is getting the ball out fast, and I know that Reggie is having trouble waiting for his blocks and finding the lane....but our running game has become a whisper.
Someone please enlighten me.

We can run block, Tampa just focused on stopping the run. I suppose you don't recall Deuce just absoloutely trouncing the Bucs earlier this year. The Bucs, it appears, did not forget.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled with the pass blocking. Compared with the way teams were pouring through last year, It's like night and day.
I thought at the beginning of the year that Offensive line might be our biggest weakness, and that Deuce and Breeze might not make it through week one. I am proud of each and every member of the line and the coaching staff.
I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.
I know that Tampa was crowding the line today, and I couldn't help but wonder if they were going to stay in that formation the whole game and let us kill them with the pass. I guess the answer was yes.
I love winning, I just want to see the Saints run with authority. I do agree that maybe someone other than Reggie should get more touches.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled with the pass blocking. Compared with the way teams were pouring through last year, It's like night and day.
I thought at the beginning of the year that Offensive line might be our biggest weakness, and that Deuce and Breeze might not make it through week one. I am proud of each and every member of the line and the coaching staff.
I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.
I know that Tampa was crowding the line today, and I couldn't help but wonder if they were going to stay in that formation the whole game and let us kill them with the pass. I guess the answer was yes.
I love winning, I just want to see the Saints run with authority. I do agree that maybe someone other than Reggie should get more touches.

I think our offensive line is average(maybe a bit below average) at run blocking for the most part.

If teams KNOW we are going to run, more often than not, we get stuffed.

Our deceptive play calling and creative offense throw teams off balance wondering what will we call next...that is when the lanes open up for a our running game.

Imho, this offensive line is not capable of dictating tempo at all...however, they are good enough that if an opponent reads the pass and we decide to run, they can make the other team pay for it at times.

I wouldn't at all be shocked if the Saints make offensive line their first draft day priority this offseason. I think our below average run blocking forces Payton to get a little too creative than he would like at times.

Don't forget the drive at the end of the game. Though the numbers weren't good, we ran the ball effectively enough, especially considering how tough they were playing the run. Deuce does need to get more touches though, I will agree there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom