Dion Jordan would be a perfect fit at 3-4 OLB (1 Viewer)

If he's available, we've gotta take a chance on Jordan. He has as much elite potential as any other top prospect at any position. With his measureables, even if he doesn't turn out to b a top pass rusher (which he prolly will b) if he hits the weight room hard n keep his weight between 240-60, at the very least he'd b a manny lawson clone. And last time I checked we could still use a guy like him aswell

One of the main reasons Jordan is light is because Chip Kelly's practices are notoriously heavy on cardio regardless of where you play. Burning all those calories makes it difficult to bulk up.

With a good pre combine regimen He'll show up 255-260 no doubt.

When you look around the league there are TE's like Gronk and Gonzalez, you need a linebacker to drop back and cover those huge recieving threats.

Dion Jordan:
Height: 6-7
Weight: 243
Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Dion Jordan vs USC 2012. - YouTube

Here's some film of him covering slot recievers vs USC

I don't know much about Jordan, but when I see 6'7" I don't see someone that changes direction extremely...

I'd be more interested in his shuttle then 40 if you're look for someone who covers...

When you look around the league there are TE's like Gronk and Gonzalez, you need a linebacker to drop back and cover those huge recieving threats.

Dion Jordan:
Height: 6-7
Weight: 243
Projected 40 Time: 4.70

Dion Jordan vs USC 2012. - YouTube

Here's some film of him covering slot recievers vs USC
You want someone who runs a 4.7 covering TE's?
One word: Toast

If he weighs in at the combine at less than 250lbs, I doubt that any 3-4 team will take a chance on him at OLB in round one.

He could be a top 10-15 selection for a 4-3 team at that weight but not in a 3-4.

As what a LB'er? DE in the 4-3 usually weigh in at high 250s to 270's range. The opposite is usually true of OLB in a 3-4.

no thanks on jordan, if i want a kid i at least want one who was good in college

B-I-N-G-O!!!!! Exactly right. People are falling for the Al Davis syndrome with this kid. He's big and fast, but he don't make plays. In the third or fourth round it's ok to pick a project not at 15. I can not think of one guy that became a stud in the NFL that did not produce atleast one good year in college. Taylor out of S. Carolina is a clone of this guy and you can get him in the fourth round. Same size and same numbers, just Taylor did it against better competition. Plus with the surgery will he be ready for camp? To get that coaching he needs.

He is actually probably better suited to be a SOLB in a 4-3 but thats another story.

Agreed. Unless you want to put Galette on the bench and have him as a back up...if the Saints draft a OLB it will be for SOLB. SOLBs rules are different than WOLB. WOLB blitz 75%+ percent of the time and rarely drop into coverage. SOLB blitz less...about 50-60% of the time, because they have TE responsibilities. Dion Jordan is the IDEAL 3-4 SOLB for that reason. My only complaint about Jordan is that he is thin and may have difficulty anchoring on the strong side against the run. Fortunately he will have Hicks who will likely need a double team from a guard and tackle. That should free him up more.

If the Saints draft a guy like Ansah...then it will likely to play WOLB...the same position as Galette. So someone is on the bench. I just don't see Ansah covering TEs. He's a large SOLB as it is. He is a WOLB.

Other POTENTIAL 3-4 SOLBs include: Jarvus Jones (who could probably line up anywhere on the field...dudes a stud) and Chase Thomas (who played 3-4 SOLB well at Stanford). The other guys are question marks. Mingo, Montgomery, Werner, Okafor, and Moore would have to prove that they can play their hands off the ground and capable of coverage against TEs at the combine and pro days. Mingo likely has the athleticism to cover...but he is far less polished that Jordan...and is probably even worse against the run. I have serious concerns about his ability to play SOLB. I think that Werner & Moore are athletic enough to cover and are pretty stout against the run...they may be SOLB candidates...but I think that you would be wasting Moore's pass rush ability in that rule.

Sorry...lots of info to spit out.

Summary: D. Jordan, J. Jones, Chase Thomas, and maybe Werner are ideal 3-4 SOLBs. Thomas is the only one of the three that may be available in round 3...but will likely go mid-to-late round 2.

You want someone who runs a 4.7 covering TE's?
One word: Toast

It was a projected time. 4.7 is probably good enough against TEs as long as you have good technique and are able to jam at the line...which Jordan should be excellent at.

As what a LB'er? DE in the 4-3 usually weigh in at high 250s to 270's range. The opposite is usually true of OLB in a 3-4.
Smaller guys like James harrison usually measure in the 240lb range if they are that light, and if they are they usually play on the Right side of a 3-4 at Linebacker. They are also more compact and not as high cut as Jordan is at 6-7.

Check around the league, most 3-4 LOLBs ARE in the 265-275lb weight range.

Jordan or Ansah?

Depends on how the next DC views the current talent. If the next staff sees Galette as a starting OLB...it will likely be at WOLB. If they see Wilson as a OLB...it will likely be at SOLB. If that's the case...then the Saints really don't have a true need at starting OLB. But if either guy doesn't look fit for those positions...then either will be a need.

I believe that Galette is the best edge rusher on the team. He could very well be the reason why Payton wanted to switch to 3-4 i the first place. I would be shocked if he wasn't the WOLB. I also believe that Wilson is better fit at 3-4 SILB. He does most of his damage blitzing UP THE GUT. That MEANS...that if the Saints draft a high round OLB...it will likely be for SOLB. That guy has to be capable at coverage against TEs, run defense, and blitzing. You aren't looking at a one trick pony for the position.

One guy besides Devin Taylor who does interest me as a ROLB prospect who is the same weight but is 7 inches shorter and more powerfully built is Sio Moore of UCONN

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f3g2xNZ0Rrw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

He had 42 TFLs the last 3 years and, 15 sacks and 17 passes defended the last two.

He changes directions well, delivers a pop and reminds me of James Harrison.

If we take Dion, I want us to make sure he can be an elite pass rusher 1st. He is a beast and has the tools but I don't want him with 15th overall to cover TEs all game. He has to be a beast pass rusher in the DC's eyes.

Agree. Especially if guys Ansah, Mingo, Okafor, Datone Jones are still on the board. Guys like Lemonier and Brandon Jenkins seem like they'd be better pass rushers than Jordan, and we could possibly get them in the 3rd. I think Jordan would have to prove that he's head and shoulders above those guys, otherwise why draft a guy in the first, when you can get a guy who's just as good in the 3rd?

Agreed. Unless you want to put Galette on the bench and have him as a back up...if the Saints draft a OLB it will be for SOLB. SOLBs rules are different than WOLB. WOLB blitz 75%+ percent of the time and rarely drop into coverage. SOLB blitz less...about 50-60% of the time, because they have TE responsibilities. Dion Jordan is the IDEAL 3-4 SOLB for that reason. My only complaint about Jordan is that he is thin and may have difficulty anchoring on the strong side against the run. Fortunately he will have Hicks who will likely need a double team from a guard and tackle. That should free him up more.

If the Saints draft a guy like Ansah...then it will likely to play WOLB...the same position as Galette. So someone is on the bench. I just don't see Ansah covering TEs. He's a large SOLB as it is. He is a WOLB.

Other POTENTIAL 3-4 SOLBs include: Jarvus Jones (who could probably line up anywhere on the field...dudes a stud) and Chase Thomas (who played 3-4 SOLB well at Stanford). The other guys are question marks. Mingo, Montgomery, Werner, Okafor, and Moore would have to prove that they can play their hands off the ground and capable of coverage against TEs at the combine and pro days. Mingo likely has the athleticism to cover...but he is far less polished that Jordan...and is probably even worse against the run. I have serious concerns about his ability to play SOLB. I think that Werner & Moore are athletic enough to cover and are pretty stout against the run...they may be SOLB candidates...but I think that you would be wasting Moore's pass rush ability in that rule.

Sorry...lots of info to spit out.

Summary: D. Jordan, J. Jones, Chase Thomas, and maybe Werner are ideal 3-4 SOLBs. Thomas is the only one of the three that may be available in round 3...but will likely go mid-to-late round 2.

Actually i meant exactly what i said... hes a better fit for a SOLB in a 4-3 because of the bigger bodies that will help protect him from the wear and tear of 1st n 2nd down. 3rd down's he could rush the passser. He could also stay@ his same weight and play the position.

To be used as a SOLB in a 3-4 would waste his talents and he doesn't have the frame to do it and he would be exposed a lot in the run game.

Putting him@ WOLB in a 3-4 exclusively would not make use of his ability to cover...unless u used him as a chess piece.

Hes best used to his full ability in a 4-3 front. Just my own opinion though. He might make an excellent 3-4 OLB for all i know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom