TV DIRECTV satellite vs. DIRECTV stream? (1 Viewer)

Wisco Steve

WI 3/4 FL 1/4
Reaction score
Yes, I am apparently one of those dinosaurs that still has DirecTV (satellite) and not 'cut the cord' as of yet.
Mostly because I do watch a fair amount of TV and even though I have very high speed internet, I have gotten comfortable with the interface of it (and like the guide and having my recordings set). Also when I had my house built 4 yrs ago they gave me a pretty great deal with their 'movers concierge' package. Well, that has long lapsed but I have not moved on from them, mostly because of what I stated and because they continue to give me free Sunday Ticket.

I am no longer under contract, not that it matters in my state. They are increasing prices yet again this year...plus I am also about to add another 4 TVs to my lower level when it gets completed in the next 2 months. I can't possibly justify adding 4 more boxes at whatever they will cost now. I currently pay about $175 /month (with 4 boxes, DVR and 4K)...a small amount of research shows that the D-TV stream packages cost a lot less--but with less channels and no Sunday Ticket capabilities.

Does anyone here use D-TV stream and how does it stack up if you are used to their satellite?

With DTV Stream, you will need "something" for all of the TV's where you want service. The reason I put it in quotes is because you'll either need the set top box DTV can provide, or you will need something like Roku or a Firestick which supports the DTV Stream app. Or if a Smart TV, you may be able to download the app depending if it's available for the operating system of the TV. I haven't used DTV Stream because of the Sunday Ticket, but I may switch to them if the cost is cheaper. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I have YTTV and it is cheaper, pretty much the same channels (I couldn't find a channel line-up for DTVS), and YTTV has unlimited cloud dvr storage (DTVS has 20 hours for the price of the package or pay $10 more per month for unlimited). DTVS is $70 for the smallest package, $80 if you want unlimited dvr. YTTV is $65 with all the channels I need and more, plus unlimited dvr. Depending on the line-up for DTVS, I like the YTTV package better.

Yes, I am apparently one of those dinosaurs that still has DirecTV (satellite) and not 'cut the cord' as of yet.
Mostly because I do watch a fair amount of TV and even though I have very high speed internet, I have gotten comfortable with the interface of it (and like the guide and having my recordings set). Also when I had my house built 4 yrs ago they gave me a pretty great deal with their 'movers concierge' package. Well, that has long lapsed but I have not moved on from them, mostly because of what I stated and because they continue to give me free Sunday Ticket.

I am no longer under contract, not that it matters in my state. They are increasing prices yet again this year...plus I am also about to add another 4 TVs to my lower level when it gets completed in the next 2 months. I can't possibly justify adding 4 more boxes at whatever they will cost now. I currently pay about $175 /month (with 4 boxes, DVR and 4K)...a small amount of research shows that the D-TV stream packages cost a lot less--but with less channels and no Sunday Ticket capabilities.

Does anyone here use D-TV stream and how does it stack up if you are used to their satellite?

I also still have satellite (for a number of reasons) and have you looked specifically at what's increasing? It seems like it's mostly local sports networks by maybe a couple of bucks. I do have those, but in the big scheme of things, I don't expect my bill (which is substantial, but I build some of it into my tenants' rent (they know this)) to change much.

Both are ripoffs in 2021. DirecTV stream is literally the worst cut the cord value there is.

My 70-year-old Dad has fuboTV and has cut the cord. Just do it.

I also still have satellite (for a number of reasons) and have you looked specifically at what's increasing? It seems like it's mostly local sports networks by maybe a couple of bucks. I do have those, but in the big scheme of things, I don't expect my bill (which is substantial, but I build some of it into my tenants' rent (they know this)) to change much.
DIRECTV revealed today that it will raise prices on programming packages from $1 a month to $10 a month effective January 23, 2022.

The company also said it was adjusting its regional sports network fees, saying some customers will see no change or a rate decrease while others will see up to a $2 monthly increase. You can see your RSN fee by clicking here.

DIRECTV posted the new prices on its web site. The notice states that the price increase is necessary due to the increased cost of acquiring programming, and the nation’s rising inflation rate. U-verse, a sister TV service to DIRECTV, earlier in the day offered a similar reason for increasing prices next month.

“Due to increased programming costs, we’re adjusting the price of our video packages,” DIRECTV states. “Periodically, TV network owners increase the fees they charge DIRECTV for the right to broadcast their movies, shows and sporting events. In addition, this year we have experienced higher-than-normal inflation across our suppliers.”

DIRECTV last January raised prices on most programming packages for existing customers by $1 a month to $9 a month, but it lowered the rate for Showtime, Starz and Cinemax by $3 a month each. There are no price changes in the three premium channels in today’s notice.

Here is the DIRECTV price increase (by package) that will take effect on January 23, 2022:

Both are ripoffs in 2021. DirecTV stream is literally the worst cut the cord value there is.

My 70-year-old Dad has fuboTV and has cut the cord. Just do it.

When you are running on generator for 10 days and you have no internet, but you can watch TV in the A/C, satellite has a certain amount of value.

DIRECTV revealed today that it will raise prices on programming packages from $1 a month to $10 a month effective January 23, 2022.

The company also said it was adjusting its regional sports network fees, saying some customers will see no change or a rate decrease while others will see up to a $2 monthly increase. You can see your RSN fee by clicking here.

DIRECTV posted the new prices on its web site. The notice states that the price increase is necessary due to the increased cost of acquiring programming, and the nation’s rising inflation rate. U-verse, a sister TV service to DIRECTV, earlier in the day offered a similar reason for increasing prices next month.

“Due to increased programming costs, we’re adjusting the price of our video packages,” DIRECTV states. “Periodically, TV network owners increase the fees they charge DIRECTV for the right to broadcast their movies, shows and sporting events. In addition, this year we have experienced higher-than-normal inflation across our suppliers.”

DIRECTV last January raised prices on most programming packages for existing customers by $1 a month to $9 a month, but it lowered the rate for Showtime, Starz and Cinemax by $3 a month each. There are no price changes in the three premium channels in today’s notice.

Here is the DIRECTV price increase (by package) that will take effect on January 23, 2022:

Thanks. I didn't see that notice. Probably won't change my mind though.

When you are running on generator for 10 days and you have no internet, but you can watch TV in the A/C, satellite has a certain amount of value.
Little. As long as the cell towers are up, which is like 99% of the storms, I can still watch YouTube TV on that same generator.

Little. As long as the cell towers are up, which is like 99% of the storms, I can still watch YouTube TV on that same generator.
Ida, excepted, of course. But I also have other reasons for keeping satellite that I'm not going to go into here.

Thanks. I didn't see that notice. Probably won't change my mind though.
Yeah I've hung on this long, but I could see moving to the D-Stream (because I have a great ISP and no storms to worry about ...just will stink losing NFL Network and the ticket...but next year is the last season DirecTV will have the ticket too.

My choice package will be going up $7 a month and will be pushing $190 now...I have not checked on a new package in a few years, what do you have?

I've tried YTTV and just did not care for the interface...

Yeah I've hung on this long, but I could see moving to the D-Stream (because I have a great ISP and no storms to worry about ...just will stink losing NFL Network and the ticket...but next year is the last season DirecTV will have the ticket too.

My choice package will be going up $7 a month and will be pushing $190 now...I have not checked on a new package in a few years, what do you have?

Not sure. I think choice. Possibly premier. Local sports, HBO, Showtime. We actually watch very little TV (locals mostly) and when we watch the premiums, we stream (using those acocunts). It is useful to have a DTV log in to stream Pels games (and other TV content) when we are out of town (we usually travel with an Apple TV for that purpose).

Try calling the number below and ask for discounts. Say it’s too expensive and you’re looking at streaming options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom