Disaster response gets a fresh surge of discussion (1 Viewer)

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For Voters like me, rebuilding NOLA is the most important thing...

WASHINGTON --The new attention focused on Louisiana's presidential primaries Saturday is also reviving the debate about the best policies for rebuilding New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast in the wake of the 2005 hurricanes.

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., spoke Thursday about his plan for rebuilding the city during a rally at Tulane University. He described Hurricane Katrina as the "moment when America's government failed its citizens."

"For all our wealth and our power, something was not right in America," Obama said. He promised that as president, he would make certain "your government will do what it takes to keep you safe."

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., who is locked in a battle with Obama for the Democratic nomination, was not scheduled to appear in the state before the voting, but her campaign took Obama to task for voting against 2006 legislation to give Gulf Coast states 37.5 percent of new royalties from expanded oil and gas production, a change potentially worth $13 billion to Louisiana during the next 30 years.

At the time, Obama said the "bill sends the wrong message," creating an illusion that the United States can "drill our way out of our energy problems." Clinton's Louisiana spokeswoman Cheron Brylski said Thursday that Clinton supported the bill because "the urgency of acting to provide a secure source of financing for Gulf Coast recovery efforts outweighed any shortcomings of the legislation."

http://blog.nola.com/updates/2008/02/disaster_response_gets_a_fresh.html

McCain and Huckabee focused more on FEMA and less on actual rebuilding. This doesn't bode well for my vote, and its further evidence that both parties have made this a political agenda associated with Dems and Repubs, and not one of a bi-partisan effort to do what is right.

Basically, Republicans have blown the budget out of the stratusphere and at the same time use fiscal responsibility as the main argument to be tight with the purse strings when it comes to NOLA. As I have stated time and time again, I am no Democrat and I am no Republican, but its becoming obvious to me the Republicans in Washington really don't give a damn about us...

They never have cared about us and it's becoming increasingly obvious that we don't care about them either.

If Obama were actually serious about all this, he'd be saying this in other speeches also, not just when in Rome.

Obama has said it outside of LA...

i honestly believe obama is being forthright and upfront...
i believe McCain is probably the second most honest of the big 3 and wouldnt make a bad prez either, but not a word about fixing NOLA...

So I guess I am part right. Although the circumstances and origins are different, they spew 9/11 without a mention of the Gulf Coast. Or atleast no where near enough IMO.

Hooray! More idle talk!

The locals are going to rebuild the area. The best i hope for is that the non-locals just get out of the way. If they want to keep visiting and spending money, that's fine too.

If they REALLY want to do something, they can stop talking and bring their business headquarters to the area. But then the city and state would have to get out of the way.

That's kind of a lot of "gettin' out of the way"

well Obama keeps talking about the failures of the gubment and Katrina, and that is the single most important thing to me so...

but yeah, i dont mean to take it down this road but i will. 9/11 was a tragedy, Katrina was just some poor black folks getting a better opportunity
/barbrabush

sickening

well Obama keeps talking about the failures of the gubment and Katrina, and that is the single most important thing to me so...

but yeah, i dont mean to take it down this road but i will. 9/11 was a tragedy, Katrina was just some poor black folks getting a better opportunity
/barbrabush

sickening

Any politician who wants to make any sense to me is going to stop complaining about government - of which they're all a part - and START taking real action towards holding the PRIVATE INSURANCE INDUSTRY accountable for their action and non-action throughout this entire experience.

Until then, it's just as much fakery as believing the government is - or was ever - coming to help.

We don't have much choice about taxes. And we expect government to take our money and waste it in the most creative ways possible. That's just a sad fact of life, evidenced by the fact that when government wants something to happen quickly, it rolls back taxes and prays for that money to go back into the private sector where someone actually MAKES something of it.

But we CHOOSE to pay home and business insurance. So what's their excuse?? and why isn't Congress on the warpath about it.

but then there's my dumb question of the day.

Last edited:
And which party is holding its 2008 convention in New Orleans? Neither one.

The excuses given were lame and in some cases patently false.

The Republicans picked Minneapolis. The Dems picked Denver.

Minnesota and Colorado are respectively trending red and blue. That trumps everything else.

Candidates still missing big picture

...In the past week, I've been bombarded with e-mail from friends urging me to support their candidate in the Louisiana Democratic primary.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/N/NZNPMT/@StoryAd"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) {document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/N/NZNPMT/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>');}--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
@StoryAd
</NOSCRIPT>But, as far as I can tell, neither candidate is wise enough to understand that the Gulf Coast is the canary in the national coal mine.

The failures of the Corps of Engineers, as distinguished from those of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, portend similar catastrophes across the nation.

How can I muster enthusiasm for candidates who, when presented with such clear and present evidence of disasters to come, are afraid to discuss the dangers with anybody but us?
http://www.nola.com/timespic/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-26/1202451833192090.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

look im no democrat (although i am liking them more and more) but Edwards started and finished his campaign there, and Obama is the ONLY candidate to promise to rebuild. He isnt just saying it in NOLA either. Open that link in this thread. its from his site so its open for all to see...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom