Disney ousts CEO, returns Iger for a two-year stint to find replacement (1 Viewer)

I just read a Yahoo article on this and I was pretty surprised by the comments. Nearly all of the "popular" comments mentioned the word "woke".* There seems to really be a huge backlash to "woke" Disney. But I can't figure out what exactly they're mad about. What "woke" agenda is being pushed? This isn't an outlier position. It seems to be a pervasive criticism of Disney. And I seem to recall old Disney movies promoting certain values like not prejudging people based on outer appearance or being honest. So what exactly is this "woke" agenda that a large segment of people seem to be in a real lather about?

* https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bob-iger-disney-problems-173637192.html

This gets into politics, but 99% of it is the Desantis vs Disney stuff. Without getting into the weeds, the general conflict between *woke* corporations, and modern conservative ideology is inclusionary(for biggest possible audience) vs exclusionary(to create social wedge issues). These are two opposing forces on a fundamental level, and will agitate, and grate. It's also super old. "The war on Christmas" has it's roots in the same conflict.

I just read a Yahoo article on this and I was pretty surprised by the comments. Nearly all of the "popular" comments mentioned the word "woke".* There seems to really be a huge backlash to "woke" Disney. But I can't figure out what exactly they're mad about. What "woke" agenda is being pushed? This isn't an outlier position. It seems to be a pervasive criticism of Disney. And I seem to recall old Disney movies promoting certain values like not prejudging people based on outer appearance or being honest. So what exactly is this "woke" agenda that a large segment of people seem to be in a real lather about?

* https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bob-iger-disney-problems-173637192.html

They would explain it too you, but it would make them "seem" racist or "sound" sexist.

Basically, inclusion makes them angry.

Woke has just become a fear word with really no defined definition. Woke is just any time you don’t like something that involves a minority group.

The only people that ever use the phrase are the people “against” it. Other people haven’t really used it since the Michael Brown shooting in 2014, but it sure works to get some people riled up. Honestly, seeing that word is the quickest way to get me to completely ignore what the person is saying.

looks like the first order of business is to slow down the release of content

Marvel head Kevin Feige echoes the sentiment, saying the company plans to release fewer shows on Disney+ while spacing them out more. According to Iger, Disney wants “the quality on the screen, but we have to look at what they cost us.”

Woke has just become a fear word with really no defined definition. Woke is just any time you don’t like something that involves a minority group.

The only people that ever use the phrase are the people “against” it. Other people haven’t really used it since the Michael Brown shooting in 2014, but it sure works to get some people riled up. Honestly, seeing that word is the quickest way to get me to completely ignore what the person is saying.
I understand what you're saying, but it isn't true. Several liberal leaning students I know at the college use the word to describe professors they feel are "on the right side" of social issues. I've literally heard some of them describe professors as "he's very woke" and I recall one recent conversation where one of the girls griping about one of her professors saying, "how is it he's so woke and yet such a macho jerk at the same time?"

So, no, it isn't just used by those who are "against" it. It may be true for Boomers and Gen Xers (not sure when it comes to Millennials), but Gen-Z kids who are "on the left" as it were use it as an identifier of those they feel are in line with them.

looks like the first order of business is to slow down the release of content

Marvel head Kevin Feige echoes the sentiment, saying the company plans to release fewer shows on Disney+ while spacing them out more. According to Iger, Disney wants “the quality on the screen, but we have to look at what they cost us.”
I wonder how much this affects Feige's timeline for his phases. I know most is on the big screen, but several series out there and planned are supposed to be vital to the overall plan.

I understand what you're saying, but it isn't true. Several liberal leaning students I know at the college use the word to describe professors they feel are "on the right side" of social issues. I've literally heard some of them describe professors as "he's very woke" and I recall one recent conversation where one of the girls griping about one of her professors saying, "how is it he's so woke and yet such a macho jerk at the same time?"

So, no, it isn't just used by those who are "against" it. It may be true for Boomers and Gen Xers (not sure when it comes to Millennials), but Gen-Z kids who are "on the left" as it were use it as an identifier of those they feel are in line with them.

I see where you're coming from, but I really mean it's not used as some sort of genuine form of classification or representing a set of ideals. I'm in NYC right now and listening to my son and his college friends talk is like listening to people speaking a foreign language. They say "bet" about everything, but I'd laugh a politician passing an Anti-Bet bill out of the room.

Woke as slang (although I think even that is rare) is different than woke defining a set of ideals in mature discourse. A group of politicians railing about woke in the halls of congress or naming bills "anti-woke" or on the stump talking about their anti-woke agenda have the intelligence and credibility of single-cell amoebas. I'd say the same thing about anyone trying to use it positively in supposedly intelligent discourse, but I never really hear that just kids using it as slang.

It's only a serious term for drunk/high college students and the "anti-woke."

I would say above is an exception, the vast majority of the use of the word is a negative connotation.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom