Disney ousts CEO, returns Iger for a two-year stint to find replacement (1 Viewer)

Live action remakes, specifically. Though the Star Wars sequels were franchise killers they were so bad.
I don't know that movies which made a combined $4.5 billion dollars (the last 3) in box office alone are franchise killers.

If you mean specifically live action remakes of Disney cartoon classics, again, eye of the beholder... personally I haven't seen that many...

I'll believe they're trying to set things right when they poleax the Genie+ system and lower park prices.

I think The Genie+ system will be significantly altered if not ditched. I think the Disney Dining Plan will also return. This thread seems to be concentrating on the movie studio part of Disney. The area where Chapek gloriously failed was in the parks. He really sucked the magic out of the park going experience. That has been the beef with him. Of all the things that he has done, I think park reservations (which actually helps families who are visiting compete with the locals) may be the only thing that remains.

Maybe my online friends are different, but the complaints about the Little Mermaid remake was because Live Action movies suck.
I don't know about your peeps, but the backlash on the tweets I saw had nothing to do with it being live action and everything to do with the person selected to play Ariel.

In a similar note, these same people are raising holy hell about the cast of The Rings of Power.

That isn't accurate, no.

Iger had an incredibly successful run as CEO and really turned the company around after the later Michael Eisner years saw things bottom out. He is extremely highly regarded both by the company and fans. He'd wanted to retire for a while but kept doing short extensions. He eventually backed Chapek as his successor. The plan had been for him to help Chapek transition into the job, but once Chapek got the reigns he basically froze Iger out and the two went from being very close to not on speaking terms.

Chapek's tenure has been an unmitigated disaster at every level. The stock has tanked. He's had messy public falling outs with high profile talent on the film side of things. He has fired or forced out executives at the company who were very well liked and replaced them with his people who are lacking experience. He has made decision after decision with the parks that fans have despised and openly revolted against (this is a big one. Genie+ and the relentless price hikes have been a never ending mess). It's almost amazing how bad he has been. In a company as big as Disney with so many different parts (movies, streaming, sports, merchandise, parks, etc.) he's managed to fork up his handling of every single one of those things on one level or another.

A few months ago words started coming out that Iger was telling people backing Chapek had been his biggest regret. I don't know what specific straw broke the camel's back here (the board just renewed him over the summer), but it's quite clear that both the board and Iger saw Chapek as a mutual mistake that needed to be corrected. They'll bring Iger in for a two year term to right the ship and groom a true successor.

Whatever the case, they had to do something. Chapek managed to get everything he did wrong. It's almost comical how bad he was.

And for those who like inside baseball on matters like this, Steve Weintraub from Collider said last night his industry sources had been telling him for weeks that Chapek was on extremely thin ice with the board and clearly that was true. He also said that there was someone else in the company that seemed to be on equally thin ice but he wasn't naming names. Initial speculation was it was Josh D'Amaro (head of parks) but people say he's still well regarded and a lot of the bad decisions for his sector were Chapek mandates. In fact, he may be a candidate to become Iger's successor. Other people seem to think he was talking about Kathleen Kennedy. Either way it looks like the axe may fall on another high profile name soon.

This isn't accurate either. Nearly all the failures of Disney for the last 2 years were set in motion by Iger who continued to have influence in the company up until 11 months ago.

Iger just fired Kareem Daniel who was Chapek's hand picked second in command and a guy a lot of people in the company felt was not deserving of that spot based on experience level.

Looks like Chapek's Disney is going to be dismantled pretty quickly.

I don't know about your peeps, but the backlash on the tweets I saw had nothing to do with it being live action and everything to do with the person selected to play Ariel.

In a similar note, these same people are raising holy hell about the cast of The Rings of Power.
Well, from my perspective, I've never taken much interest in any of the Disney classics live action remakes. Just never was interested in it.

As for ROP, having been an avid reader of LOTR books many moons ago, and a fan of the movies, ROP was disappointing for a lot of reasons. The least of which was casting. So...idk.

That said, I'm sure there are more than a few who don't like them for the reasons you stated.

Lol I have to common sense media G rated Disney productions. I’m just done. If I wanted my kids to be indoctrinated and preached at…I’d bring them to church.
Your handwriting is supposed to be impossible to decipher, not your typed words. Please try again.

Specifically, Parks revenue increased a whopping 42.4%, reaching total revenues of $2.1 billion. Comcast attributes this massive number to an increase in attendance by Guests as well as the number of money Guests are spending inside the Parks. This is similar to what Disney executives have seen and shown in reports earlier this year, claiming Guests are spending record amounts.

Were guests spending more at both sets of parks or did inflation hit the cost of things in the parks?

Were guests spending more at both sets of parks or did inflation hit the cost of things in the parks?
Attendance was higher at Universal, which is pretty incredible. It suggests that it’s not just cost of operation. I don’t think it’s as simple as Disney being woke…though that is likely a big factor. Disney during COVID was an absolute nightmare. The mask nazis were nuts. They did their very best to remind you that COVID was going to kill us all…and made the trip miserable. The only thing Disney has on universal is fantasy immersion for guests…they completely ruined that during COVID. I’m certain that lots of people went and decided to not return.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom