Disney ousts CEO, returns Iger for a two-year stint to find replacement (1 Viewer)

Attendance was higher at Universal, which is pretty incredible. It suggests that it’s not just cost of operation. I don’t think it’s as simple as Disney being woke…though that is likely a big factor. Disney during COVID was an absolute nightmare. The mask nazis were nuts. They did their very best to remind you that COVID was going to kill us all…and made the trip miserable. The only thing Disney has on universal is fantasy immersion for guests…they completely ruined that during COVID. I’m certain that lots of people went and decided to not return.

I went to Disney World during covid and this is mostly just made up nonsense.

I don't know about your peeps, but the backlash on the tweets I saw had nothing to do with it being live action and everything to do with the person selected to play Ariel.

In a similar note, these same people are raising holy hell about the cast of The Rings of Power.
Well duh, Twitter...

I last went to DW in 2016, oddly enough during the coup attempt in Turkey. We had the dining plan then. When did that get chopped?

The dining plan made that whole trip worth it.

I last went to DW in 2016, oddly enough during the coup attempt in Turkey. We had the dining plan then. When did that get chopped?

The dining plan made that whole trip worth it.

I think it was a victim of covid. They've announced its coming back at some point.

I think it was a victim of covid. They've announced its coming back at some point.

It was a half-assed, maybe it would come back at some point but we have never told you when kind of announcement. Also, Chapek changed food vendors to cut costs and the food quality took an obvious downward turn the last couple years. Disney food is one of the highlights of going there over Universal. Iger needs to find a way to go back to the old quality and choices without raising prices.

I get where he is coming from, and yes Disney has pushed a line with inclusion and acceptance to kinda pushing an agenda.

But, like everything it’s a pendulum. A line was being pushed for a while, soon it will start to swing back and the horror of young girls reading will be the main cause for concern again.

I do have to say, let’s take the live remake of the little mermaid for an example. So much drama over casting a black actress to play Ariel. Ok, if casting a different race to play a half fish half human is that big of a deal, then either those people need something more to do as obviously there aren’t enough real problems in their life, or well ya know it’s a race thing. Me personally I’m in horror of them replacing my favorite Disney character ever -Ursela (who was modeled after a drag queen) my Melissa McCarthy (euw). Kinda like ruining Robin Williams genie with Will Smith. Had nothing to do with race, everything to do with you can’t beat the original.

But I digress. To a kid, is the race of the actress portraying Ariel that big of detail or even noticeable? To someone of a different race, maybe they can see themselves, but tot he average kid I doubt.
You truly think he was fired because of a movie made with a black actress ?

It was a half-assed, maybe it would come back at some point but we have never told you when kind of announcement. Also, Chapek changed food vendors to cut costs and the food quality took an obvious downward turn the last couple years. Disney food is one of the highlights of going there over Universal. Iger needs to find a way to go back to the old quality and choices without raising prices.

Chapek's tenure in a nutshell.

It's also come out that basically the reason he was fired is he had a company wide revolt on his hands. From C suite executives down to cast members at the parks, it appears everyone in the company despised him and let the board know. Whole thing avalanched over last weekend.

Attendance was higher at Universal, which is pretty incredible. It suggests that it’s not just cost of operation. I don’t think it’s as simple as Disney being woke…though that is likely a big factor. Disney during COVID was an absolute nightmare. The mask nazis were nuts. They did their very best to remind you that COVID was going to kill us all…and made the trip miserable. The only thing Disney has on universal is fantasy immersion for guests…they completely ruined that during COVID. I’m certain that lots of people went and decided to not return.
Universal dropped the mask requirement a bit faster.

But my point was that the article said attendance was up at both parks. I do think Universal gained a bit of ground though.

Also, a lot of kids age out of Disney and start wanting to go to Universal. That's what happened with us.

Universal dropped the mask requirement a bit faster.

But my point was that the article said attendance was up at both parks. I do think Universal gained a bit of ground though.

Also, a lot of kids age out of Disney and start wanting to go to Universal. That's what happened with us.
Yeah, and that's a pretty normal progression. They're 2 different target audiences, even if there's a lot of overlap.

I just read a Yahoo article on this and I was pretty surprised by the comments. Nearly all of the "popular" comments mentioned the word "woke".* There seems to really be a huge backlash to "woke" Disney. But I can't figure out what exactly they're mad about. What "woke" agenda is being pushed? This isn't an outlier position. It seems to be a pervasive criticism of Disney. And I seem to recall old Disney movies promoting certain values like not prejudging people based on outer appearance or being honest. So what exactly is this "woke" agenda that a large segment of people seem to be in a real lather about?

* https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bob-iger-disney-problems-173637192.html

I just read a Yahoo article on this and I was pretty surprised by the comments. Nearly all of the "popular" comments mentioned the word "woke".* There seems to really be a huge backlash to "woke" Disney. But I can't figure out what exactly they're mad about. What "woke" agenda is being pushed? This isn't an outlier position. It seems to be a pervasive criticism of Disney. And I seem to recall old Disney movies promoting certain values like not prejudging people based on outer appearance or being honest. So what exactly is this "woke" agenda that a large segment of people seem to be in a real lather about?

* https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bob-iger-disney-problems-173637192.html
You’re trying to apply rationality to zealotry
There is no reason for the anger just varying targets

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom