Disney World meal plans (and all things Disney at this point) (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the tips

I am thinking it will end up costing us $3000 when it's all said and done, so the extra $60 is nice.

Thanks for the tips

I am thinking it will end up costing us $3000 when it's all said and done, so the extra $60 is nice.

No problem. I definitely don't claim to be smarter than anyone when it comes to Disney, but when it comes to at least having experienced it all, from every hotel to every restaurant and every ride...well, I've done just about all of them...so if I can help pass that along, I'm happy to do so.

We actually don't go much anymore because of my MIL's declining health and the impact/cost of that...since it's taken all our free time and funds to care for her...but I still get joy out of Disney even when I'm not there, so it's all good.

Oh, and if you don't think I love Disney, did I mention my dog Porter was selected as one of the only 101 (yeah, 101, get it) non-service dogs to ever be allowed into Disney for a big "Disney Side Costume Party?" He went as Simba from The Lion King.

So yeah, my wife, myself, and my dog are Disney nerds.

you are the EJW/TCUDan of WDW:9:

one of my college roommates was a MAJOR disney fan (he had maybe 30 cels up on the walls)
he's now the director of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review - not sure if there's ever been such a dream job for anyone - he loves everything about it

you are the EJW/TCUDan of WDW:9:

one of my college roommates was a MAJOR disney fan (he had maybe 30 cels up on the walls)
he's now the director of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review - not sure if there's ever been such a dream job for anyone - he loves everything about it

That's awesome. Wife and I did HDDR about 2 years ago. We were the only 2-person party there, so they stuck us literally right dead center in front of the stage.

My favorite moment from that was the very big ending number, and the "goofy" guy slides up to us as his big finish...I grab the camera and get a quick picture. He looks at us and says "How dare you! I have dignity!"... as he sits there on all fours in his bear outfit. ;) They were great.

DSCN8800_zpseqe6u1qx.jpg

Last edited:
We go every year and we use the dining plan with one table service, one quick service and one snack. We have done the math and saved a ton by doing this. Table service meals are best in Epcot and Studio. Hit me with any questions. Looks like we will be there again for Mardi Gras with the rest on Louisiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We go every year and we use the dining plan with one table service, one quick service and one snack. We have done the math and saved a ton by doing this. Table service meals are best in Epcot and Studio. Hit me with any questions. Looks like we will be there again for Mardi Gras with the rest on Louisiana!

We have 3 year old with a small appetite. Would you still suggest the dining plan?

Now that I look at it, we will likely go for Mardi Gras as well. A $310 savings compared to week after Easter.

I am still on the fence with the hopper. Being that my son will be nearly 4, I am unsure how exhausted he will be to utilize the hopper to make it worth the extra money.

Now that I look at it, we will likely go for Mardi Gras as well. A $310 savings compared to week after Easter.

I am still on the fence with the hopper. Being that my son will be nearly 4, I am unsure how exhausted he will be to utilize the hopper to make it worth the extra money.

We used the meal plan for our daughter at 3. You get different options, fruit, milk etc. it's still cheaper than buying food everyday. Check the ages for price differences.
We do the park hopper because we might spend the day in animal kingdom but they close at 6 or 7 then we can head to magic kingdom or Epcot because they typically stay open later. Plus sometimes we may eat at a different park than we plan to visit that day and also so parks may have fewer rides for younger kids so you will be done by lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was $1300 for the meal plan for 5 people / 5 days. I decided to chance it and see how it goes.

Just booked for the week of Feb 27. Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort.

It was $1300 for the meal plan for 5 people / 5 days. I decided to chance it and see how it goes.

Just booked for the week of Feb 27. Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort.

Unless you plan on eating counter service all week (think stadium-quality food at best) I'd still recommend making dinner reservations.

That is a big reason why we do the dining plan. It forces us to have a nice meal every day. I'll actually use a crowd forecast calendar to pick what park we go to, and then make dinner reservations based on that.

ProTip: Find your way to Epcot for dinner as often as possible.

I think this year was our last using the dining plan. We go every year too and have always had it. This year I found very often we didn't want to eat lunch because we were doing something or not hungry, but felt we had to because we didn't want to waste credits. I also felt a number of times we could have shared meals at lunch but got more than we needed because of the dining credits. Even with that we ended up with a few quick service credits we converted to snacks on our last day. thats thing thing with the dining plan, in order to not waste money you feel like you "have" to eat.

We went last Mardi Gras and are going again next year for Mardi Gras. We get the dining plan with the (1) table service and (1) quick service (there are 3 of us). We consider it a deal with the amount of food you get. If I had to pay for everything out of pocket no way I would buy as much food as you get with the dining plan. My view is it's vacation so why not splurge a little bit. We are usually scrambling at the end to spend all the snack credits. Make reservations and make them early. The real popular restaurant tend to book up fast. Our travel agent told us that based on the dates we are going that the restaurant booking opens up at the end of this month.

We went last Mardi Gras and are going again next year for Mardi Gras. We get the dining plan with the (1) table service and (1) quick service (there are 3 of us). We consider it a deal with the amount of food you get.

It definitely is. You get a lot of food with the DDP, no question about it. As long as you don't mind eating, it can be a great deal when done right.

If I had to pay for everything out of pocket no way I would buy as much food as you get with the dining plan. My view is it's vacation so why not splurge a little bit.

Yeah, I think that's where it's an individual choice. Really depends on how you want to eat, spend, etc. Obviously not the same for everyone.

Make reservations and make them early. The real popular restaurant tend to book up fast. Our travel agent told us that based on the dates we are going that the restaurant booking opens up at the end of this month.

Reservations open up 180 days out if you're not staying on property, and 190 if you are staying on property. As dbb said, make those reservations ASAP if there's a special restaurant you think you want. They DO book quickly for the most popular places, especially the really kid friendly, special ones.

----
FYI, if you're budget conscious and not a huuuge eater, there are more ways to save to at WDW when eating (if you're NOT on the DDP). Say you go to a Quick Service place and wife wants a burger, your kid wants chicken fingers, and you want a hot dog...or whatever. All of you are going to get that, plus typically fries. If you don't all want fries, simply ask for no fries, etc. They hit a button, remove it from the order, and it saves you about $3. Obviously if you're going to eat them and enjoy them, get stuff like that. But if you're ordering things and leaving them on your plate and tossing them, it's just a waste of money. There are a ton of tiny little tips and tricks that add up over time. But the key remains, you do you. Don't ever get bogged down in the details of it all to where you don't enjoy your time. Happiness > $3.

All I can remember from my last trip to Disney was downing beers at the Oktoberfest restaurant in Epcot and thinking, "wow, this is great."

And then, "but for what I've spent we could've gone to Munich."

FWIW I would bring breakfast bars and whatever else moms seem to always have on hand and skip the mealplan.

A couple additions. I've never used a meal plan during our visits, but we're FL residents, so we usually just do 1-2 days.

I think the Crystal Palace character meal for lunch is the best value. If you can use the meal plan for that, I would. You'll be there for 2 hours, buffet. Nice break from heat with kids.

Last I knew, you can bring in bottled water and food. Get a locker. We'd pack granola bars, PB&J, water. No coolers, so water won't stay cold. Nothing perishable.

With kids you will be moving sloooooow.... they will get tired and hate lines. Use the fast passes as much as you can. Some rides get long lines fast. At first open, thunder mountain RR will have no line (3 yr old can't ride). But it's all the way down the left end.

In magic kingdom, cheapest food options are in main street USA. Where it ends and splits before the castle are your cheapest options. Maybe also future land cafe by yellow umbrellas.

If you dash for TM RR, you will pass Alladin's ride. Jasmine and Alladin are there, and you may catch them with no line yet. The biggest factor slowing you down is if you will put the 3yr old in a carriage. Carriage then locker rental will slow you down. Just a locker is pretty quick.

Depending on your Disney hotel, breakfast may be cheaper there. Always get kids meals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom