Disney's Live Action Snow White (perhaps without the seven dwarfs) (1 Viewer)

If you have acromegaly, and depictions of giants bother you, please talk about it. If you have kyphosis and you don't like the depiction of people with curved spines in media including the hunchback of Notre Dame, please speak up. If you are not a little person, an incredibly tall person or a person with a curved spine, you don't get to decide what is or isn't a problem.

You don't "honestly" see the problem because you have never had to experience it and never will. We have the luxury of thinking about it for 5 minutes before returning back to our day. The people in the communities we just named have lived it.
You are correct, and then there are those that profit from it first, then condemn it later. Didn't hear anything on any podcast about complaints that dwarfism was being made fun of in the movie Elf. Or any complaints about it's portrayal in GoT. But, when it's a movie about something that been in the media for as long as Snow White, then it's a problem. Don't jump up on a soapbox and preach at me because I see the hipocrasy.

theres a thought. how about hollywood come up with something thats not avengers or a remake of a cartoon.
After watching Station 11, I was wondering when I would see this comment (one like it) and how I would respond
Here’s my thinking- people often make this ‘why does Hollywood keep remaking the same ****?” - But I don’t see those same posters commenting on Station 11 or The Leftovers or Yellowjackets or The Expanse or Fauda or Occupied or Dark or any of dozens of original, challenging new shows

What’s the disconnect between saying we want new stories and actually seeking new stories?

(I’m not directing this at you in particular, just something I’ve been mulling)

After watching Station 11, I was wondering when I would see this comment (one like it) and how I would respond
Here’s my thinking- people often make this ‘why does Hollywood keep remaking the same ****?” - But I don’t see those same posters commenting on Station 11 or The Leftovers or Yellowjackets or The Expanse or Fauda or Occupied or Dark or any of dozens of original, challenging new shows

What’s the disconnect between saying we want new stories and actually seeking new stories?

We're to busy being outraged

I’ll be honest. I’ve only heard of Yellowjacket’s and thought it was actually on showtime and I don’t have that. Need to check out the others tho.

I was too busy watching the office reruns 🤣🤣

This whole thing has really made me ponder something.

I always assumed the dwarfs were like fantasy dwarfs. Of the Norse myth or Tolkien (who derived his dwarfs from Norse myth) variety. They were miners. That's pretty fantasy/mythology dwarf stuff.

But were they actually just humans with dwarfism?

Maybe just make them gnomes and call it a day.

I always assumed the dwarfs were like fantasy dwarfs. Of the Norse myth or Tolkien (who derived his dwarfs from Norse myth) variety. They were miners. That's pretty fantasy/mythology dwarf stuff.

You are correct, and then there are those that profit from it first, then condemn it later. Didn't hear anything on any podcast about complaints that dwarfism was being made fun of in the movie Elf. Or any complaints about it's portrayal in GoT. But, when it's a movie about something that been in the media for as long as Snow White, then it's a problem. Don't jump up on a soapbox and preach at me because I see the hipocrasy.

There's a difference between how little people are depicted in Elf and GoT versus Snow White. I dont think he's being hypocritical at all if you're pointing to those roles. In both roles he's pretty adamant about not being just some stereotypical elf or worthless imp. The personalities and portrayal of both these characters are on the other side of the spectrum from Snow White's dwarfs.

The dwarfs in the brothers Grimm's Snow White story are supposed to be real people but it is not only that they are dwarfs, but the reason why they live in a cave hidden in the forest avoiding people: discrimination and persecution. Disney did as Disney does in softening the original Brothers Grimm story, but still, the origin story is the origin story.

Then they compound the problem with an actress with brown skin playing a character named Snow White because her skin is as white as snow.

I wonder how this would play out of LOTR and The Hobbit were made today.
Those were made and released not all that long ago. I don't think it would play out any different because it's fantasy. And there were both protagonists and antagonists among little people in those movies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom