Dith Pran (1 Viewer)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
yeah, I heard a story about it this morning on Morning Edition. Glad to know he was finally happy in his life. he was a stud.

:worthy: :tombstone:
That reminds me, I have been planning to see that movie and keep forgetting.

Last edited:
skip the movie---read the book.

may i also suggest "the mascot"----a true story of a 6 yr-old jewish boy adopted by a latvian ss squad. couldn't put it down.

R. J. Rummel's "Death By Government" collates the various estimates of genocidal dead throughout history, and provides the best (usually median) estimates as a ratio of dead to the population at risk. It is essential reading.

All of the famous despots dating to antiquity usually killed one to four per cent of the population at risk. Pol Pot, a man who died in bed, quietly, surrounded by friends and family, brought 25% of the Cambodian nation to the Killing Fields.

It is difficult to comphrend the scope of societal transformation attempted by the Khmer rouge. When art, books, music, and history are destroyed, the educated and business classes annihilated, and enforced agrarian labor attains a "purity" of thought, there's no precedent.

The saddest part of this is, had he not existed, none of this would have been documented. It is not unlike the secrecy surrounding the Chinese and particularly Soviet actions. The records were buried for decades and fooled countless fellow travelers.

Dith Pran is one of the great men in the struggle for freedom. It is a shame pancreatic cancer killed him. There should really have been a better choice of his demise, one with a measure of life's justice. I hope he died in drugged comfort. He is a hero.

Dith Pran is one of the great men in the struggle for freedom. It is a shame pancreatic cancer killed him. There should really have been a better choice of his demise, one with a measure of life's justice. I hope he died in drugged comfort. He is a hero.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

>>skip the movie---read the book.

I disagree. The book was great, but the movie was one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. I give it a 9.5.

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom