Division leader at 5-6..... (1 Viewer)

Darth Deuce

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Do you think they will ever "revamp" the playoff system to allow the best teams to compete in the playoffs? Maybe a rule that requires playoff teams to be at or above .500? It would seem to be more "fair" that you take the top 6 best records and seed them accordingly. If you win your division at
7-9, congratulations, here's your banner to hang in your stadium, but no playoffs for you this year.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Won't ever happen. Division champ is division champ no matter how crappy the division.

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It won't ever happen and probably shouldn't but it'd be nice if a division leader would have to be over .500 in order to go to the playoffs. This doesn't happen often so it's not really a big deal, it'll probably won't happen again for another 10+ years.

GoldRush26

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Another reason it won't happen is because it renders divisions irrelevant. You might as well just have one big NFC and another big AFC division in that case.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Third or 4th thread this week concerning this?

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm fine with division winners getting an auto-entry.

What I don't like is that it isn't open-seeding once playoff teams are determined. I like divisions mattering, I like winning your division being a big deal. But I don't like the idea of an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 wild card team. Have open seeding in the playoffs. Seems like a fair compromise.

OP
Darth Deuce

Darth Deuce

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Third or 4th thread this week concerning this?

Sorry, I don't have time to read every thread posted here.

I'm fine with division winners getting an auto-entry.

What I don't like is that it isn't open-seeding once playoff teams are determined. I like divisions mattering, I like winning your division being a big deal. But I don't like the idea of an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 wild card team. Have open seeding in the playoffs. Seems like a fair compromise.

I can agree with this as a better solution.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
If it wasn't this way the the entire NFC West would fail to generate revenue for the remainder of the year, so it stays the way it is.

diehardfan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Relax about it. Yall are looking at it the wrong way. Think about the lucky team that actually gets to play them in the playoffs.

kizzy821

Would'f, Could'f, Should'f
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it sucks the way it is. They're basically being rewarded with a playoff berth for playing in a sucky division. Chances are the NFC West winner is gonna screw another team with a better record out of the playoffs. God forbid things don't go as planned from here on out and that other team is us. I'd go into cardiac arrest.

smchls23

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think that the opinions of those on this board would change greatly if the Saints were to miss out on a wildcard spot...

The playoffs are about the best in the conference, not the best of the divisions. An 8-8 team going in over a 10-6 team? Meh. Pretty lame imo.

smchls23

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Another reason it won't happen is because it renders divisions irrelevant. You might as well just have one big NFC and another big AFC division in that case.
Right, because that's how the NBA and other logical leagues are set up.

Oh wait.

KorrBG20

The Core
Reaction score
The only thing they need to change is the seeding. If the wildcard team has a better record than a division winner, they should be the higher seed. Or the wild card team should get the game at home. The NBA does this. The NFL should look at doing it that way.

lsuchamps

Reaction score
The NBA has the best 8 teams in the playoffs. The NFL should have the best 6 teams.

smchls23

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The NFL, apparently, disagrees

I mean, the Saints last year were the NFC Representatives, not the NFC South representatives.. We represented the conference...

The playoffs are about the best in the conference, idk. It's p much a general consensus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom