Divorce Question (1 Viewer)

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ok, my ex and i have been sperated for over 2 years now.....we have never actually legally divorced.....we started to pay for a lawyer but neither of us can really afford to just go have it finalized at this point....

my question is, do we even need a lawyer for this??? we have everything worked out as far as money and possesions......we have had a schedule set up for our son and have had no problems to speak of with that.....

it just seems silly to pay a lawyer 600 bucks so he can show up in court for us.....

can we do this on our own without a lawyer??? is it worth it??

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be your lawyer for $225

honestly though I have no idea.. sorry

BigRonJon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
As long as everything is agreed upon, all you have to do is file papers with the court.

Leastbay

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think you just need to fill out the right paperwork. There is a fee by the court most likely though I think mine was about $250

TPS

Reaction score
A consent divorce finalizes everything and only costs a few hundred bucks. You'd do well to deal with that stuff so it doesn't come back on you later. Your ex probably hasn't opened any credit in your name, but as a community property state, you could end up having to pay for counsel to clear your name if someone came after you and the lender/creditor didn't know of your marriage status. There are other issues too. Just finalize it and get it over with. Paul will be much happier when you are really a free man. :17:

TPS

Sandman

Not A Cat
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My advice on this type of stuff is always the same. You will probably spend less if you get a lawyer to make sure it is done right the first time than you will spend later on trying to correct things that might have been done wrong. "Corrections" always cost more in the end.

OP
antipop

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My advice on this type of stuff is always the same. You will probably spend less if you get a lawyer to make sure it is done right the first time than you will spend later on trying to correct things that might have been done wrong. "Corrections" always cost more in the end.

i thought about that as well.....but the thing is that we are both in 100% agreement of everything there is to agree on......so, i don't see where we might go wrong

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i thought about that as well.....but the thing is that we are both in 100% agreement of everything there is to agree on......so, i don't see where we might go wrong

Verbiage. "Wait, I assumed 'Saints stuff' included jerseys.". "No, that would fall under Saints apparel." The reason you get a lawyer is to have someone who thinks of everything, and who you can sue if he doesn't think of everything. Also, wear a straw cowboy hat with a FDL on the front.

Last edited:
OP
antipop

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The reason you get a lawyer is to have someone who thinks of everything, and who you can sue if he doesn't think of everything.

we have settled everything.....we have not lived together in over 2 years......the only things we ever talk about at this point is our son......there is nothing left to argue over :shrug:

Sandman

Not A Cat
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

You will be amazed after the fact on the stuff you thought you had agreed on that you really didn't. Going with a lawyer up front should cover stuff you haven't thought of or properly word your agreement so that it accurately reflects what you really agree to in a manner that will be enforceable if need be.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Sandman is right on this one. The do-it-yourself divorce has a tendency to blow up in your face unexpectedly.

Paul

Professional
Reaction score

D,
I think y'all need to give your marriage another shot. There's like $1200.00 dollars in it for you somewhere in May, plus $300.00 for the kid. Wealth, I tells ya. :hihi:

Seriously, I don't know much about divorce - I plan to be with my wife until one of us croaks. I think SandyManny's advice is pretty solid, though - do it right the first time, and avoid any hiccups down the road that may hit your wallet harder. It's good to know that you and your "ex" are amicable towards each other, especially for the little man.

I still can't believe that you are a dude, though. Weird. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread