Dixie Brewery to change name (1 Viewer)

While all of the debate about history and the origins of words may be interesting, none of it matters beyond what the owners of a business feel is right for their business. If they want to name it Rotgut Almost Beer, because they think it sells more beer, then it is their decision. If Ms. Benson wants to change the name because she wants to be more sensitive to her customer base, then I support her right to do that as owner of the business.

I think Ms. Benson's reasoning behind changing the name is a positive step of sensitivity. But if her only reason for changing the name was to sell more beer, then that's good enough and it's not our business to support the change or not. It's her business. There are plenty of things in our world to get outraged about that are a lot more important than a name on a beer can.

While all of the debate about history and the origins of words may be interesting, none of it matters beyond what the owners of a business feel is right for their business. If they want to name it Rotgut Almost Beer, because they think it sells more beer, then it is their decision. If Ms. Benson wants to change the name because she wants to be more sensitive to her customer base, then I support her right to do that as owner of the business.

I think Ms. Benson's reasoning behind changing the name is a positive step of sensitivity. But if her only reason for changing the name was to sell more beer, then that's good enough and it's not our business to support the change or not. It's her business. There are plenty of things in our world to get outraged about that are a lot more important than a name on a beer can.

Yup. Capitalism is a great thing most of the time. Gayle Benson has decided that there are more people who are offended by the confederacy's pro-slavery wet dreams than there are angry xenophobes who pine for the days of women not being able to vote and black men being their slaves.

She also probably realized that nobody wants to root for a loser, so having her brand associated with the confederacy is probably not great for business. We're America, we like winners.

It seems to be that your argument boils down to because Lincoln wasn’t a perfect abolitionist that Gayle Benson can’t decide to change the name of her beer company 150 years later.

Seems like an odd argument.
This is the part that puzzles me
‘Lincoln was super racist that means we get to keep the word Dixie’
History degree or no, that’s a very weird argument

I never connected Dixie directly to the CSA before reading this thread. Always thought the name referred to the old South. There is plenty of southern culture that isn't rooted in racism and of course there's plenty that is.

I never felt connected to the Dixie name though. I mean, I grew up knowing the word. Dixiecrat, Dixieland, Winn Dixie, and Dixie Beer. But never learned the background until this thread. Learn something new every day.

The war began with a southern military offensive. An offensive driven by their lust to uphold and protect chattel slavery of African Americans.

Your argument is the pure definition of a conflated and confused narrative.

The USA didn't recognize the sovereignty of the CSA to do what?

If southern states wanted to make it legal to rape children, then I guess we gloss over that fact, and say the war was just about southern "sovereignty"?

The child rape, well...STATE'S RIGHTS. Do you not see how demented and inhuman this argument of yours really is?
Wrong the war started because the South wanted to secede. The South had the raw materials that the North needed. it was a contention that the North wasn't paying a fair price for goods. Look it up for yourself!

I don't think much about Dixie beer, the rebel flag, civil war statues, Robert E. Lee, etc.

And I do okay.

We all know why it offends a large part of our population.

Just let it go.

Erasing history is a dangerous thing and should never be done, I agree.

That doesn't give us the right to keep shoving it in the face of people that were hurt by it.

There's always history books and the internet if you want to wallow in your heritage.

Wrong the war started because the South wanted to secede. The South had the raw materials that the North needed. it was a contention that the North wasn't paying a fair price for goods. Look it up for yourself!

Here are some of the Declaration of Causes that were adopted by some of the Confederate States. Not all of of the states did one of these. Take a look at the link. Do a word search for "slave" and you will see that the south wanted to secede for slavery. Don't take my word for it. Take the word of the people that were actually trying to secede.

Here are some of the Declaration of Causes that were adopted by some of the Confederate States. Not all of of the states did one of these. Take a look at the link. Do a word search for "slave" and you will see that the south wanted to secede for slavery. Don't take my word for it. Take the word of the people that were actually trying to secede.

NOTHING TO DO WITH SLAVERY!

dixie.jpg

I've heard the same origin story.

But it's incomplete to just look at the origin and ignore the rest of the history that followed. Dixie has come to be associated with parts of America's past that should not be glamorized.

The Nazis didn't invent the swastika, a symbol that had long been in use in other cultures without the association to hatred and atrocities, but there is simply no way to separate that part of the history out at this point.

Dixie Brewing is making a business decision because they've come to understand the negative connotations aren't good for the future of their business.
Yet the kneelers want us to separate the US flag from the military, which makes the sacrifices that give us the freedoms that the flag represents. Why the double standard?

I was thinking ,And that's dangerous for me.

I wonder what percentage of people's opinions are changed by these threads?

I'm guessing it's pretty low.

They are debate for the sake of debate.

It why I usually avoid them

Sometimes I think Scorpius' and my fights are just as useful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom