Dixie Brewery to change name (1 Viewer)

Some of the posts in this thread remind me of what Jalen Rose said:
"I wish America loved black people as much as they love black culture"

I'm not usually a big fan of his (I feel like he makes very obvious statements), but this is a powerful quote.

but even that is touchy - Elvis is kinda foundational to US music and many people much smarter than I can argue that that music is racist as **** (not that elvis is, but that the appropriation of black culture for obscene profit is racist)

It wasn’t appropriation. It was a culture trade made in the 1950s. White people got rock ‘n roll and black people got basketball.

It's been mentioned that Elvis stole black music. Which he did.

My problem with him is that he was a sell-out. With all those awful movies.

Eminem is a very good white rapper.

His lyrics even address stealing black culture.

I'm curious about opinions on him?

NSFW

Talented. Great rapper, easily in the top 10 or so of all time. Like you said, he openly admits that he's sort of co-opting black music. And Eminem has never been bigger than the genre that he found his inspiration from, where Elvis was. I don't know much of anything about Elvis - did he ever acknowledge that he was influenced by black music? It's one thing to participate in black culture (IE Eminem), I don't think anyone has any issue with that. It's another to become bigger than the black culture/music that made you and not acknowledge it.

But it's not really rooted in American slavery. It's rooted in West Africa. It just got brought to America via slavery. Much like drinking coffee got brought to the masses via Italian occupation of Ethiopia. Drinking coffee in itself isn't rooted in that occupation.

What does the below sound like to you? All these west african string instruments (which are always overlooked for the drums) in this music were being played in that fashion long before slave ships showed up.

I was digging on the instrumental when the song was interrupted with a "rap" interlude.

Here is another musician playing the Ngoni. It is probably the type of music being played on these instruments 6-700 years ago. Parts reminded me of listening to Andres Segovia playing classical guitar.

Talented. Great rapper, easily in the top 10 or so of all time. Like you said, he openly admits that he's sort of co-opting black music. And Eminem has never been bigger than the genre that he found his inspiration from, where Elvis was. I don't know much of anything about Elvis - did he ever acknowledge that he was influenced by black music? It's one thing to participate in black culture (IE Eminem), I don't think anyone has any issue with that. It's another to become bigger than the black culture/music that made you and not acknowledge it.

Another tricky subject.

Black rappers "sample" rock music all the time.

But how much did rock take from black music?

People have influences.

Not an Elvis person.

But I like Eminem.

I told Guido he was just a white kid that loved rap.

And he is very good at it.

Funny. I used these Eminem lyrics on the trivia thread.

I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy
Hey, there's a concept that works

I remember as a boy, either kindergarten or first grade, I was playing outside in our "yard truck." My dad had a 60s Ford F100 that he was going to fix and repair. I was acting like I was driving and he gets inside with me. He asked me, "What are we gonna name it?" "Umm, Dixie!" Dudes like, still chill, Dixie?! Why Dixie? "That's the name of my favorite song right now. We sing it every day in class!" He's like, oh yeah? Sing it for me. So I start singing Dixie, with all the conviction a 6 year old has, "hooray, hooray!"

After my rendition, my dad says, well, let's pick a different name. I'm not fond of Dixie. "The name or the song?" He's like, well, both son. "Whyyy?" So, we go inside, and he's like, let's call grandpa and talk to him about Dixie. Now, it's serious. Calls to grandpa are "long distance." We don't call long distance willy nilly. That's expensive. So, dad talks to grandpa about our conversation and he asks him to talk to me about Dixie.

"Biscuit?" My grandfather never called me by my name. It was always a nickname. Biscuit, Bacon, Slim, Jack, Shorty. "Yes sir?" All sheepish and stuff! But, he talked to me. He talked to me about our people. His parents. His grandparents. Talked to me about his life. Six year old appropriate, mind you, but he took me to that ghetto university, like Kanye said. He taught me what "Dixie" meant to us, our family, people like us.

So, that night, I ask my dad, what am I going to do tomorrow when it's time to sing Dixie? I'll never forget, my dad said, "Well bub, that's up to you. Now that you know what Dixie means, really means, that's up to you to decide. Just do what you think would make grandpa proud. Make his mom and pop proud. Make our family proud."

So, that was it for me. The next day, I whispered to my teacher that I couldn't sing Dixie anymore. "Why?!" I told her it wouldn't make my family proud. Looking back, remembering the look on her face, remembering how she kind of looked around the room, I think it dawned on her I was the only black kid in her class. And to her credit, I distinctly remember, she taught the class a new song that day. I didn’t have to be different, which is poison for kids that age.

I don't know y'all. That story reminds me of something Jane Elliott says. She says in America, we don’t educate our kids in school, we indoctrinate them. We teach this mythological, sanitized version of our history to the point where we debate about the nuances of the Civil War. Trust me, there is no nuance, no ambiguity involved, in my family's history involving the Civil War. And, yet, if we taught ourselves the real, unadulterated, bare-knuckled truth about our country, our heritage, and not romanticize or lie about the unsavory parts, we would find there is plenty of culture, plenty of heritage, plenty of figures to honor, celebrate and venerate collectively as Americans.

You know, if we did that, then maybe we wouldn't need to so desperately hang onto that flawed iconography of the past that reminds us of our divisive, inhumane origins. Or, at least the parts that divide us! Instead, we indoctrinate ourselves with this segragated, limited version of our history and then wonder why we can't unite as a people in our present and future.

I remember as a boy, either kindergarten or first grade, I was playing outside in our "yard truck." My dad had a 60s Ford F100 that he was going to fix and repair. I was acting like I was driving and he gets inside with me. He asked me, "What are we gonna name it?" "Umm, Dixie!" Dudes like, still chill, Dixie?! Why Dixie? "That's the name of my favorite song right now. We sing it every day in class!" He's like, oh yeah? Sing it for me. So I start singing Dixie, with all the conviction a 6 year old has, "hooray, hooray!"

After my rendition, my dad says, well, let's pick a different name. I'm not fond of Dixie. "The name or the song?" He's like, well, both son. "Whyyy?" So, we go inside, and he's like, let's call grandpa and talk to him about Dixie. Now, it's serious. Calls to grandpa are "long distance." We don't call long distance willy nilly. That's expensive. So, dad talks to grandpa about our conversation and he asks him to talk to me about Dixie.

"Biscuit?" My grandfather never called me by my name. It was always a nickname. Biscuit, Bacon, Slim, Jack, Shorty. "Yes sir?" All sheepish and stuff! But, he talked to me. He talked to me about our people. His parents. His grandparents. Talked to me about his life. Six year old appropriate, mind you, but he took me to that ghetto university, like Kanye said. He taught me what "Dixie" meant to us, our family, people like us.

So, that night, I ask my dad, what am I going to do tomorrow when it's time to sing Dixie? I'll never forget, my dad said, "Well bub, that's up to you. Now that you know what Dixie means, really means, that's up to you to decide. Just do what you think would make grandpa proud. Make his mom and pop proud. Make our family proud."

So, that was it for me. The next day, I whispered to my teacher that I couldn't sing Dixie anymore. "Why?!" I told her it wouldn't make my family proud. Looking back, remembering the look on her face, remembering how she kind of looked around the room, I think it dawned on her I was the only black kid in her class. And to her credit, I distinctly remember, she taught the class a new song that day. I didn’t have to be different, which is poison for kids that age.

I don't know y'all. That story reminds me of something Jane Elliott says. She says in America, we don’t educate our kids in school, we indoctrinate them. We teach this mythological, sanitized version of our history to the point where we debate about the nuances of the Civil War. Trust me, there is no nuance, no ambiguity involved, in my family's history involving the Civil War. And, yet, if we taught ourselves the real, unadulterated, bare-knuckled truth about our country, our heritage, and not romanticize or lie about the unsavory parts, we would find there is plenty of culture, plenty of heritage, plenty of figures to honor, celebrate and venerate collectively as Americans.

You know, if we did that, then maybe we wouldn't need to so desperately hang onto that flawed iconography of the past that reminds us of our divisive, inhumane origins. Or, at least the parts that divide us! Instead, we indoctrinate ourselves with this segragated, limited version of our history and then wonder why we can't unite as a people in our present and future.

I really appreciate your posts.

Awesome post! :9:

It wasn’t appropriation. It was a culture trade made in the 1950s. White people got rock ‘n roll and black people got basketball.
Music ideas are stolen everyday! From everyone it’s not race based.

I was digging on the instrumental when the song was interrupted with a "rap" interlude.

Here is another musician playing the Ngoni. It is probably the type of music being played on these instruments 6-700 years ago. Parts reminded me of listening to Andres Segovia playing classical guitar.

I wanted something more bluesy so Oumou Sangare is good for that. Either way, just shows Muddy Waters was just drawing on his ancestors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom