Dixie Brewery to change name (1 Viewer)

Cause the reason is wrong! Show some backbone
s-l1600.jpg

no... it needs to be rebranded

Why? It is a very old brand and well known in this area.
It maybe well known in LA, but it's look and name just haven't aged well. It does need a modern rebranding.

Cause the reason is wrong! Show some backbone
Ok, I’ll show some backbone. Anything that has any symbolism of racism should have never been given any stature, power, or presence. They don’t give anything positive to this world that is shared by many cultures. It’s long overdue and it’s time to do the right thing. Tear and burn them all down. How’s that for backbone? If someone thinks they need to change or rebrand, let them. It’s a free country right?!?!

Dixie came from American traders who came down the Mississippi to trade in New Orleans. The French paid them with French money. Mostly in tens the French word for ten is dix (dees). It got convoluted to Dixie.
I see you didn't read the link.

They don’t even know how the na,e dixie came about and no it wasn’t about slavery! Caving in

Sounds like they’ve been contemplating a new direction. Doesn’t a business have the prerogative to define itself? Or does it just feel better to moan about it?

The name Dixie was started in New Orleans. A Bank on Royal Street published bills that had the French word for 10 on one side, DIX. The other side was in English. English-speaking customers would say give me some of those Dixie’s. I feel that this is a shame.

Dixie came from American traders who came down the Mississippi to trade in New Orleans. The French paid them with French money. Mostly in tens the French word for ten is dix (dees). It got convoluted to Dixie.

I've heard the same origin story.

But it's incomplete to just look at the origin and ignore the rest of the history that followed. Dixie has come to be associated with parts of America's past that should not be glamorized.

The Nazis didn't invent the swastika, a symbol that had long been in use in other cultures without the association to hatred and atrocities, but there is simply no way to separate that part of the history out at this point.

Dixie Brewing is making a business decision because they've come to understand the negative connotations aren't good for the future of their business.

The name Dixie was started in New Orleans. A Bank on Royal Street published bills that had the French word for 10 on one side, DIX. The other side was in English. English-speaking customers would say give me some of those Dixie’s. I feel that this is a shame.

And the swastika started as a sacred symbol in many religions. Doesn’t change the fact that it symbolizes something different now.

Words change and lose meaning, unfortunately. Nazi symbol is big example of it. Don't direct your resentment towards people that want to better it. Direct it at the people with malice intent that poisoned it for the seeable future.

Well, the swastika was originally a Buddhist symbol that basically meant "all is good" or "all is well." Despite that, I don't see anyone throwing a swastika on a can of beer anytime soon. The Nazis misappropriated the symbol so that it is no longer usable.

Dixie may have started with the word "Dix" but it was misappropriated by the Confederacy and the Lost Cause movement. It means something different now than what it was when it started. The advertisement posted earlier shows that misappropriation in full force. Robert E. Lee riding a horse. It isn't an image that you want to project anymore.

And the swastika started as a sacred symbol in many religions. Doesn’t change the fact that it symbolizes something different now.

Beat me to it.

As I said, you didn't read the link. What some people call tradition is just another name for the good "ol" times when Black people had no rights. Please stop digging this hole for yourself.

"According to the most common explanation of the name, $10 notes issued before 1860 by the Citizens’ Bank of New Orleans and used largely by French-speaking residents were imprinted with dix (French: “ten”) on the reverse side; hence the land of Dixies, or Dixie Land, which applied to Louisiana and eventually the whole South."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom