DL Mario Edwards visiting Saints (Update: Expected to sign) (1 Viewer)

I’m all for giving the Edwards a chance but he is not a better target for the money. This guy can’t even stay on a team. Ansah has ten times this guys production. Ansah has had double digit sacks multiple years and although he was hurt the past two seasons and missed games, he still managed six sacks both of those seasons. Ansah is a far safer and more productive pick at this point provided you don’t award him a ridiculous contract.
For the money.

35th pick of the draft a couple years ago means he has a lot of potential. I'm always a fan of these low risk/high reward signings. They also tend to work out for us.

With Ryan Nielson as our DL Coach this has the potential to be the best signing of free agency if we sign the kid. Coach Ryan has that rare ability to get the best out of every player.

I’m all for giving the Edwards a chance but he is not a better target for the money. This guy can’t even stay on a team. Ansah has ten times this guys production. Ansah has had double digit sacks multiple years and although he was hurt the past two seasons and missed games, he still managed six sacks both of those seasons. Ansah is a far safer and more productive pick at this point provided you don’t award him a ridiculous contract.

Your post proves why he will be paid much more than Edwards.

Davenport / Jordan are the starters; we need someone to spell them

Your post proves why he will be paid much more than Edwards.

Davenport / Jordan are the starters; we need someone to spell them
Edwards isn't going to spell Jordan/Davenport. Edwards is a DT.

He was All-World coming out of high school. Defensive player of the year. 5 Star. Made every All-American team...

then bust at Florida State. Well he would have been a good player has he been a 3 stat recruit. But he has lived on potential, never really becoming a "player". Has all the measurables but can't put them together.

Anything more than vet min and we overpaid. He would be a rotational DT who would see no more than 40-50% of defensive snaps and less when Rankins returns.

Fits the player that could thrive in a change of scenery type deal. Or he could be an average player that flashed during his first year and reached his ceeling early. In any case, he seems like the type of player they could sign before training camp, not rush it on day 2 of FA. Kind of like with Kurt Coleman last year.

Edwards isn't going to spell Jordan/Davenport. Edwards is a DT.

I've seen him listed almost everywhere as a DE... a few places as a DL.

But here's from nola.com:

The Saints are presumably looking at Edwards — 6-foot-3, 280 pounds — to help on the interior. With Sheldon Rankins recovering from a torn Achilles this offseason, David Onyemata in jeopardy of a suspension for a marijuana-related arrest and Tyeler Davison a free agent, the Saints need help at defensive tackle.

If he's played mostly DT, that would account for the low career sack totals. Regardless, he's proven that he can play pro football and have some success. That's worth something. That he hasn't had a ton of success means that he shouldn't break the bank. And it's always possible that his best football is ahead of him. If he would turn out to be a late bloomer, he could be a sneaky good signing.

Good Lawd I didn't think we were THAT thin at DT. I know Rankins will be out but I forgot that I'myamama had an incident, and Davison I know may sign somewhere else. May we need DTs badly.

I've seen him listed almost everywhere as a DE... a few places as a DL.

But here's from nola.com:

If he's played mostly DT, that would account for the low career sack totals. Regardless, he's proven that he can play pro football and have some success. That's worth something. That he hasn't had a ton of success means that he shouldn't break the bank. And it's always possible that his best football is ahead of him. If he would turn out to be a late bloomer, he could be a sneaky good signing.
All the film I’ve seen of him, he’s been lined up at DT.

He's somewhat of a local guy. Born in Gautier, MS and probably still has family in the area. Raised in Texas while his dad played with the Cowboys, Bucs and Dolphins. Looks like he came out a year early. Still young and could be a great guy for Nielsen to develop.

He can play dt and de so he’ll get some snaps while rankins and onyemata are out and when they come back he’ll rotate at end with Davenport I’m sure

Coaching means everything for a signing like this. Find that potential that was lost to other clubs. Love our coaches

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom