Saints DL options for 2020... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
After listening to the “Locked On Saints” podcast today, I find myself thinking about one of the potential free agents discussed, and how he would fit in with Saints’ defense... Leonard Williams. Williams can play virtually anywhere along the D-line. He can be 1-tech, a 3-tech, and even a 5-tech. He doesn’t have a ton of sacks to his credit, but he does generate a bunch of pressures and he’s stout vs the run.

The host mentioned Williams as a possible option should the Saints lose David Onyemata in free agency, but that got me thinking of other options as well... so I thought I’d ask some if yous guys on the SSF...

How would you feel about the Saints having Leonard Williams replace Onyemata on the DL, and the other DL guys remaining in their current spots? Would it be an upgrade, downgrade, or even move?

What about if the Saints kept Onyemata, and then still signed Leonard Williams... only now, they cut Rankins and save his option year $$$? Again, upgrade, downgrade, or even?

Williams looking for $18-$20 million a year. Not a shot.

Likely... but every free agent is “looking” for big money. Sometimes they come around and decide to sign on with a team they believe in for good (not great) money and a chance to win. Williams hasn’t done much winning thus far in his career.

Likely... but every free agent is “looking” for big money. Sometimes they come around and decide to sign on with a team they believe in for good (not great) money and a chance to win. Williams hasn’t done much winning thus far in his career.
Giants likely to franchise tag him if they do not get a deal done. That is about $17 million a year.

After listening to the “Locked On Saints” podcast today, I find myself thinking about one of the potential free agents discussed, and how he would fit in with Saints’ defense... Leonard Williams. Williams can play virtually anywhere along the D-line. He can be 1-tech, a 3-tech, and even a 5-tech. He doesn’t have a ton of sacks to his credit, but he does generate a bunch of pressures and he’s stout vs the run.

The host mentioned Williams as a possible option should the Saints lose David Onyemata in free agency, but that got me thinking of other options as well... so I thought I’d ask some if yous guys on the SSF...

How would you feel about the Saints having Leonard Williams replace Onyemata on the DL, and the other DL guys remaining in their current spots? Would it be an upgrade, downgrade, or even move?

What about if the Saints kept Onyemata, and then still signed Leonard Williams... only now, they cut Rankins and save his option year $$$? Again, upgrade, downgrade, or even?
He going to be overpaid as an above average starter. Classic free agency mistake for someone. Preferably not us.

Williams was traded for a 3rd and 5th,, we wants wildly over paid.

Jarran Reed and A’sh Robinson are available.

Onyemata . I thought I heard rumors about him signing back with us a couple of weeks ago. Anyone remember this?

If Williams was only twice the price of Onyemata then I’d still prefer Onyemata. He will be more than twice the price of Onyemata though.

If Williams was only twice the price of Onyemata then I’d still prefer Onyemata. He will be more than twice the price of Onyemata though.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Onyemata might be closer to Williams then you think. I could see Williams signing a late 1 year prove it deal in the $8M range while Onyemata comes in around 4/$24M.

we are good on DL. They are so expensive in FA and you have to get the best prospects really high in the draft. Our pass rush was outstanding last year until injuries set in.

The only reason to get a DL (other than resigning Onyemata) is if we think Rankins or Davenport won’t come back close to 100%. Id rather see us fill a true “must” like LB, WR or G.

I think our dline is pretty set. I wouldn’t mind a quick edge rusher but that’s about it. Well unless rankins is not healthy

Let's not spend too much time or money on the D-line. It seems that we have bigger needs in the back 7.

At LB, we need to either re-sign Klein or hire a replacement starter. And at least one capable backup.

At CB, we need to either pay or extend Jenkins. And upgrade Williams (PJ).

At Safety, we need to re-sign Bell. And upgrade Williams (Marcus).

In contrast to those needs, the DL of Jordan-Rankins-Onyemata-Davenport is a great group of starters. We should be supplementing them with bargain vets and rookies as we need limited resources elsewhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom