Do any of you Saints fans miss the NFC West? (1 Viewer)

VikesFan2017

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When I grew up, the NFC Central had Tampa Bay who we dropped when GB, DET, CHI, and MN became the NFC North. The NFC West was Atlanta, Saints, Rams, and the 49ers.
When the change happened, were you upset or bitter about the idea of losing rivalry games or was it kind of a relief because the 49ers were really good then?

How did the fanbase accept the move?

Not really. I sometimes miss the intense 9er and Ram hatred. But my hatred for the Falcons grew in width and depth since they were gone. It can be seen from other galaxies now.

I'd say it let us focus our hate a little better on the failclowns. Back in the west days we had to split the hate because we endured the 9er beating twice a year for so long.

No. 2011 brought enough painful memories of dealing with the 49ers back then.

I do sorta miss our rivalry with the Rams. They always played us tough even still to this day. The Rams/Saints games were usually worth watching for non-Saints fans.

The layout makes far more sense, and it appears it was good to send Atlanta with you for a good on-going rivalry.

We don't miss Tampa Bay at all.

I could never understand the Atlanta in the "West" thing either.

Heck to the naw naw naw. I’ve still got PTSD from back in the day being in that division.

I have nostalgia for the old NFC West, but the NFC South is far more sensible - having to fly to LA and San Fran for divisional games sucked. Plus the regional rivalries make it better, IMO.

When I grew up, the NFC Central had Tampa Bay who we dropped when GB, DET, CHI, and MN became the NFC North. The NFC West was Atlanta, Saints, Rams, and the 49ers.
When the change happened, were you upset or bitter about the idea of losing rivalry games or was it kind of a relief because the 49ers were really good then?

How did the fanbase accept the move?

Only time I missed it was when the 49ers sucked for so long and we got good. There were years of payback that we missed out on.

Last edited:
Nope.

And as a side note I think the Cowboys and the Colts should switch divisions, or even Atlanta and Dallas, or Carolina and Dallas ... but I guess that would mess up Thanksgiving or something.

The current alignment of the divisions is perhaps the one thing that's gone right with the NFL leadership since the start of the current century. They tend to fumble or stumble on multiple other issues (rulebook interpretations, individual team scandals, player discipline, etc.)

I don't miss the dirt infields at Candlestick and the Coliseum. The skint elbows were gruesome.

The only real downside is that we were developing a pretty good rivalry with the Rams right when they changed the alignment.

It is better to have your division rivals geographically closer. Makes more away games accessible. However...

I don't miss the Rams, but I do wish we could take revenge on the 49ers. Repeatedly.

It is better to have your division rivals geographically closer. Makes more away games accessible. However...

I don't miss the Rams, but I do wish we could take revenge on the 49ers. Repeatedly.

We owe them quite a bit of revenge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom