Do any of you Saints fans miss the NFC West? (1 Viewer)

The five alignment plans for the NFC in 1970 were as follows, with Plan 3 eventually selected:

It doesn't help when you have only 3 western teams...

This astounds me.

You only have three western teams, and in all five plans, Minnesota (one of the most "west" teams remaining) was proposed as being East in four of the five plans.
I wonder if MN had a strong stance of not wanting to play in the west since they weren't proposed for any.

Only that we will never have the opportunity to even out the 49ers series like we've done with the Falcons. It would take us 30 years to catch them if we won every game and finished even with them within each respective division every year.

The layout makes far more sense, and it appears it was good to send Atlanta with you for a good on-going rivalry.

We don't miss Tampa Bay at all.

I could never understand the Atlanta in the "West" thing either.

Don't miss TB? Wasn't that pretty much a guaranteed two Ws for about a decade?

A Bears fan I know says the joke used to be "Two Bays and a bye" (back when the Packers were a shell of their former selves)

Only when Vaughn Johnson smacked the shirt out of Roger Craig. Then the 49ers knew the Saints were going to be a major struggle for the next 5 years.

Only time I missed it was when the 49ers sucked for so long and we got good. There were years of payback that we missed out on.

THIS X 1000.

It would have been so nice to beat the pants off of the forty whiners, twice a year, for a decade or so. We owe them so many beat downs, that none of us will live long enough to see them all happen.

Don't miss TB? Wasn't that pretty much a guaranteed two Ws for about a decade?

A Bears fan I know says the joke used to be "Two Bays and a bye" (back when the Packers were a shell of their former selves)

Tampa always seemed like an odd game.
At best, you would go and beat them in a boring game that didn't mean anything.
If you lost, you felt like crap for a week because you never felt like losing to Tampa was reasonable.

The other annoying thing about playing in Tampa was they would always say "Oh, it's so hot and the Vikings are wearing Purple. They can't handle the heat!"

I really wonder how much more the heat can effect one team over the other when they are both playing in it.

I really can't say anything about the NFC West days cause I started watching the Saints when the NFC South was created, but it seemed to me that if the Saints stayed they would've been the punching bags for that division or overlooked when any success happened. Every division has that team. For example, that's the Bucs role in the South.
Especially in the shadow of the 49ers five Super Bowls.
At least in the South, the Falcons and Panthers are in the shadow of the Saints and that Super Bowl from '09.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom