Do Atlanta Media Opinions Match Expectations Elsewhere? (1 Viewer)

I'll add this: I think most fans/local media have tunnel vision when it comes to their team.

I'd be lying if I told you that I paid enough attention to the offseason to know what teams truly improved by addressing needs and which teams lost too many contributors to be as good as they were last year.

We see what has transpired in the offseason for our team and that's basically it. Is anyone following Tampa's camp battles to determine who their next diamond in the rough is? (Note: I know someone here probably is doing that, and I'd actually love to hear from them. Knowledge is power.)

Besides, Atlanta barely watches their own team, so surely we can't expect that they could keep track of ours as well. :hihi:

i too live in the belly of the beast. atlanta media hates the saints more than other teams in the division. for one, the rivalry. just when atlanta is starting to find success in the post-vick era, we came along and spoiled the party, moreso than any other team seeing as how carolina's recent rise bares less significance since atlanta's recent fall from grace. two, there's a lot of us here. falcons media see it at their home games, we call into their radio shows and we're at the bars they go to do live broadcasts. three, i think we just get under a lot of teams skin, and its magnified for atlanta, as their pro sports across the board has been so dismal, whereas we are so optimistic. a good example of this for me is watching my falcons friends attitude when they have a losing record halfway through the season. for saints fans, that scenario means we're in it until we're mathematically out of it. in the same scenario, falcons fans i know are already completely tuned out of NFL and are spending their sundays doing other stuff besides watching football. of course, they have die hards who are loyal and watch til the bitter end, but i think there is a defeatist attitude that is tied to all of their pro franchises records as of late that runs opposite to the pure joy we get when there's even just a sliver of hope.

We need to really grasp the situation of having a record breaking bad defense three out of the last four years. THREE OF THE LAST FOUR YEARS! It's hard to have faith in any organization that allows that to happen.

I like when the Saints are flying under the radar.

i too live in the belly of the beast. atlanta media hates the saints more than other teams in the division. for one, the rivalry. just when atlanta is starting to find success in the post-vick era, we came along and spoiled the party, moreso than any other team seeing as how carolina's recent rise bares less significance since atlanta's recent fall from grace. two, there's a lot of us here. falcons media see it at their home games, we call into their radio shows and we're at the bars they go to do live broadcasts. three, i think we just get under a lot of teams skin, and its magnified for atlanta, as their pro sports across the board has been so dismal, whereas we are so optimistic. a good example of this for me is watching my falcons friends attitude when they have a losing record halfway through the season. for saints fans, that scenario means we're in it until we're mathematically out of it. in the same scenario, falcons fans i know are already completely tuned out of NFL and are spending their sundays doing other stuff besides watching football. of course, they have die hards who are loyal and watch til the bitter end, but i think there is a defeatist attitude that is tied to all of their pro franchises records as of late that runs opposite to the pure joy we get when there's even just a sliver of hope.

This. They've seen the enemy get credibility from the league, hire one of the top coaches, and get a championship within the past decade while the Falcons are sitting with the Jaguars, Bills, and the Titans in the league consciousness.

First off, it's Atlanta you are talking about, so take that for what it's worth. There is a huge inferiority complex that goes with being an Atlanta Falcons fan, bordering on a resemblance to a split personality disorder combined with being delusional.

Regarding the Saints this year. IF the defense is improved to the point where it winds up ranked in the low 20's in yards and points allowed, and if the defense forces a few turnovers more than the last two years, the Saints Offense is still good enough (maybe better than last year) to easily win 10-11 games. Again, IF the Defense is improved. If not, all bets are off.

If I had to predict, I think Saints Defense will rank in the low 20's and the team will win 11 games. Carolina will fall back a little and the NFC South winner will probably have 11 wins. Tie breakers will be the key. Falcons are an 8-8 team, at best, in my opinion for 2016.

First off, it's Atlanta you are talking about, so take that for what it's worth. There is a huge inferiority complex that goes with being an Atlanta Falcons fan, bordering on a resemblance to a split personality disorder combined with being delusional.

Regarding the Saints this year. IF the defense is improved to the point where it winds up ranked in the low 20's in yards and points allowed, and if the defense forces a few turnovers more than the last two years, the Saints Offense is still good enough (maybe better than last year) to easily win 10-11 games. Again, IF the Defense is improved. If not, all bets are off.

If I had to predict, I think Saints Defense will rank in the low 20's and the team will win 11 games. Carolina will fall back a little and the NFC South winner will probably have 11 wins. Tie breakers will be the key. Falcons are an 8-8 team, at best, in my opinion for 2016.

I think this is a good example of that inferiority complex.

CBS Sports ranks Falcons fans amongst worst in NFL - Talk About the Falcons - Falcons Life Forums

Thanks for all of the feedback. It sounds like most around here are of the same mind as me... our success (or failure) this season will hinge largely upon the defense rising from the morass of the past few years. I'd say it probably goes a small step forward from there and depends on the health of our defense [relative to the NFL at-large.] The CB situation last year put us in a bind that few teams would've had the depth to overcome. We weren't going to be a stellar defense by any means, but having to run Browner and the rest of the third-teamers out there repeatedly was painful.

Despite that, I think we'd have still had a decent -- 9 wins maybe -- season if the offense had been more efficient. And it speaks volumes that we can almost overcome a record-settingly bad defense! With a tweaked offense and what so far looks to be an improved defense, I'm thinking double-digit wins are certainly possible this year.

I like the ostrich-defense comment! Definitely appropriate for Falcons fans.

And, yeah, TBS was a pretty big influence on the Braves/Hawks fandom, though I had actually started listening to Braves games on the radio two years prior to finally getting cable at the house. I ended up in Atlanta in '93 primarily due to the incredible job market, but being able to go to Braves/Hawks games was a contributing factor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom