Do/Did you have your kids watch your favorite movies from when you were a kid? (1 Viewer)

I have many times suggested that my daughter watch Citizen Cane to see what difference a great director can make, but she just won't.

Maybe suggest some Hitchcock?

Try a bribe

Show her a picture of Alfred Hitchcock and tell her that he always appears in a blink and you'll miss it cameo in his movies

If she spots and points him out you'll give her X dollars

I had each of my sons watch Blazing Saddles when they were about 12 or 13. They both laughed like hell.

Daughter did agree that she liked Princess Bride.

So there have been some little wins.

Princess Bride was a big hit, along with spaceballs
they felt the Crow was just okay
Original Poltergeist was a huge miss - I agree on that one, it seemed much scarier when i was a kid

Most all of the John candy movies and they can quote most of them they've seen them so much. Watched Christine with a couple of them a month or so ago and they liked that one a lot. Also had them read where the red fern grows and summer of the monkeys because those were my favorite books around their age.

Because of my son's disabilities, he doesn't get some of the stuff I loved. But he did like Star Wars and he likes most of the video games I loved when I was younger. That's good enough. Maybe he'd like Goonies. I'll have to show him that some day.

Did you have your kids watch the movies you loved when you were a kid?

Goonies, Top Gun, Karate Kid, Jaws etc. and if so did they love them as much as you did or were they bored to death and a little bit of your soul died?

Of course, with some going over better than others.

I remember when we introduced our oldest to ET when he was no more than 8 years old. He was loving it until ET died, when he turned to us, sobbing, and asked "WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH THIS MOVIE?" We told him to just keep watching -- which gave him pause for a sec -- and when ET eventually rose from the dead he had an equally joyful reaction.

about 4 months ago, I watched "The Man Who Laughs" with my 10 y/o daugher. I've always really dug silent films and it was one of my favs and wanted to see what she thought of something out of the norm. I was really surprised how many questions she had about those types of movies and how it worked in theaters back then. She enjoyed it, has a really good story too.

She also really dug Labyrinth, Princess Bride, but really did not like Legend or Willow for some reason. I'll see how she likes "The Crow" when she's a bit older.

Of course, with some going over better than others.

I remember when we introduced our oldest to ET when he was no more than 8 years old. He was loving it until ET died, when he turned to us, sobbing, and asked "WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH THIS MOVIE?" We told him to just keep watching -- which gave him pause for a sec -- and when ET eventually rose from the dead he had an equally joyful reaction.
Me too kid, me too

Highs and Lows

Even to this day I say to myself - "Ok Prime, you've seen this movie a million times, you know he comes back to life" and it still gets me

And when Eliot unzips that bag it will always make me smile no matter how many times I see it

A friend of mine showed his kids (aged 8 to 12) some of his favorites, Flight of the Navigator, Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Explorers

He said they were bored to tears with them all and he was crushed

Goonies, Top Gun, Karate Kid, Jaws etc. and if so did they love them as much as you did or were they bored to death and a little bit of your soul died?

No

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom